Model Cars Magazine Forum

COE ID???

I found this pic on a Google search awhile back and I'm not sure if it's an IH, Freightliner, or what. It looks to be some sort of chemical truck. Just wondering what the heck it is, possibly a Euro or Aussie version of something...

stumpy.jpg

Edited by Mike77

This creature is based on the US version of the International 9670 series introduced in the early/mid 1980's.  Don't see many around anymore but there was a set back axle version offered in the US though I dont recall ever seeing a double bunk version.  (I am NOT saying they didn't exist....just never saw one myself) . JB Hunt and Schneider had quite a few with raised roofs and the full aerodynamic package.

Check on truckpaper.com for an IH 9800 found in the land down under.  It's still around and been refined a bit.  The flush turn signal lenses are a good indicator it is a later version.

• 3 weeks later...

The actual model of that truck was a 9700, it was basically a 9670 with a "Set Back Axle" SBA  for short. They did come in Double bunk "Eagle" cab, however they were rare. The 9800 was a 9700 cab with a "flat cab floor" COE, which wasn't actually flat, it had about a 3 inch step from the drivers/passenger area to the center of the cab/bunk area. I'm not sure what all the engine options were however the only engine that I personally saw in any of the ones I worked on, I only saw an M-11 Cummins. and it was lowered 2 inches in the chassis than a regular 9700.  Engine options for the 9670 and 9700 were the same, with Cummins N-14 and M-11, Cat 3406, and Detroit 60 series, older 9670's also had 2 stroke Detroit's,71 and 92 series, and Cummins 855's both Big Cam 3 and 4. My source of info on these is I worked in the service dept of an International dealer as a tech from 1990 until it closed in 2005.