Model Cars Magazine Forum

PlastiCoat T-235 primer

I recently bought a case of PlasticCoat T-235 primer. The new stuff appears to be a different formula from the cans I had been using that I bought several years ago. Seems to dry a lot slower and doesn't spray as fine as the old stuff.

Anybody else run across this issue?

Edited by Len Woodruff

Walmart hasn't had their lovely white primer in several weeks--maybe months--just when I started thinking about getting several cans of it. And they stopped carrying the gray a year or so ago. Still have the black, which is nice stuff but isn't white. 

2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Walmart hasn't had their lovely white primer in several weeks--maybe months--just when I started thinking about getting several cans of it. And they stopped carrying the gray a year or so ago. Still have the black, which is nice stuff but isn't white. 

Is that made by PlastiKote? Is it etching primer like T235?

2 hours ago, Len Woodruff said:

Is that made by PlastiKote? Is it etching primer like T235?

No, it's very different. Very thin, very smooth, but very opaque. The white will completely cover and block red plastic. You wouldn't use this stuff for a final scratch filler, it's not thick enough. But it's a great primer for plastic that's in good shape. And the black is the closest thing I've seen to the old Pactra Hot Rod Primer (a very, very dark gray, not really "black" at all). I hope the white hasn't gone away permanently. 

The negative changes in the PlastiKote primers were noted here on the forum, and many others, along about the time that the brand was withdrawn from CarQuest, shortly before CarQuest was overrun by Advance, and Duplicolor came in to replace PK.

The online-purchased PlastiKote primers I have bear very little resemblance in performance to the plastic-modeler's go-to product of years past.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The negative changes in the PlastiKote primers were noted here on the forum, and many others, along about the time that the brand was withdrawn from CarQuest, shortly before CarQuest was overrun by Advance, and Duplicolor came in to replace PK.

The online-purchased PlastiKote primers I have bear very little resemblance in performance to the plastic-modeler's go-to product of years past.

What time frame was the thread?

Sorry I missed that thread about the changes to the T235.

Probably because I have several cans of the good stuff still left.

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Len, here's one thread that partially addresses it...PlastiKote as well as Duplicolor:

Thanks for the link. I read through it and it looks like the formula change happened around 2015. I can use the new T235 but it does clog a lot more and takes longer to dry. 

I've been using Plastkote  primer for years, The only thing that I don't like is their new spray cap asm. What I did was to remove the spray cap and replace it with the nozzle from a Tamiya spray can. Now it spray a nice fine even pattern.