Model Cars Magazine Forum

Toyota 2000GT

Brudda

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It’s finished! I’m sorry but I tried to load in prosses pics but it would not let me. It’s a DeAgostini 1/10 scale Toyota 2000 GT. Was white but changed the color to twilight turquoise. Hope you like

446B4F7B-8C3E-425C-8957-8F9C2BCE4589.jpeg

957B213B-CBDB-48A8-8E87-024F5F984622.jpeg

The new paint color is 100 times more interesting than white. Someone told me once that people who choose white for their cars/trucks are indecisive so they go with the most generic color.

So tell us about the paint, please. Looks like base coat/clear coat, yes? Didja shoot it in a real spray booth? You sanded the color coat before the last application of color?  It came out real nice.

Thank you for the great comments. The color is twilight turquoise. It is a factory Toyota color. Automotive water based paint. With sherwin Williams urethane clear. HPC15 clear. Mix it 4:1:1. 4 parts clear, one part harder, one part reducer. Shoot it thru a sata mini jet spray gun. .8 tip hope this helps.

6F52E723-F4B9-41E1-824A-1AB8846322E7.jpeg

Also no spray booth. Very early in the morning at 6am. On the side of the house. I hang the parts in a shed to dry. The paint drys to the touch in 3 minute so dust does not settle in it. If a little dust gets in the paint I sand the spot with 2000 sand paper then rub it out with 3m rubbing compound. Polish and then wax it. With this paint you can do this in 2 hours. It’s automotive so it has to be fast. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes superfastcelica it is very expensive. I have a very generous friend , Mark , he is the DeAgostini rep out here in the west coast.Gave me this model. It’s going to be on the DeAgostini site soon. He has givin away kits to other members as well. His stash makes hobby shops envious. MFH, DeAgostini,  tamiya, zouki mura, I can keep going on. He has a 1/6 scale tiger tank fully rc. A 1/25 scale titanic that is about 6 ft built.  I have never seen so many models before. And they are very expensive! I just saw a fiat car hauler that was Ferrari’s car hauler in 1/12. A 1/6 scale brass Bugatti that costs around $6000 from Italy. Just a dream for me. Looks like a Cosco for models. He has the 917-30 Porsche can am car MFH. So beautiful. I’m saving up for that one.  Thank you guys for the great comments. I can answer any paint question as long as it’s automotive paint. I do this for a living. The local Porsche, BMW , Volvo, and Honda body shop. Not as hard as you think . Just the right equipment is all. Thanks again

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you NYLIBUD. The model is very well engineered. The parts are individually wrapped. The chrome is the best I have ever seen. Parts are so good that you do not need glue on many of the parts. Windshield was the coolest install , it snaps in place, no glue. They try to take out the mistakes with great engineering. The instructions are the best ever. Like a shake and bake. Until you get to the suspension and have to tap the holes for the screws. Only modification I made wa to enlarge the door hindge holes to float the door for alignment. Car comes with a very nice paint in solar white but I could not leave it alone. I painted it twilight turquoise. Added a little blue pearl for a richer look. The model is very expensive. I know the deagostini rep and received the model for free. When it was done I promised a interview and pictures of the build for advertisement. I might be getting the 1/8 scale of the Porsche Carrera. It is painted white but I will change the color. They said at a discount but at have price it is still $1200. The Toyota is 1/10 scale and runs approx $1100. They are expensive but I lucked out with Mark and he was very generous. A great guy. Best model I have ever built. It is very exciting because it’s a rare subject. Have it under lights every night and stare at it before I go to bed.

65857D58-83E2-4F11-A0FD-D6F6FE6CCB29.jpeg

• 3 years later...
41 minutes ago, Brudda said:

The Toyota placed 3rd at the IPMS nationals in Las Vegas.

Absolutely stopped me in my tracks when I passed the table!  Great build.  There were some really outstanding large scale builds this year.  This was one of them. 

On 8/31/2021 at 10:02 PM, Pete J. said:

Absolutely stopped me in my tracks when I passed the table!  Great build.  There were some really outstanding large scale builds this year.  This was one of them. 

Hello Pete J. I am glad you were able to see it in person. I was surprised it took 3rd as I thought the other large scale builds were out of the world. Thank you for the very kind words. 

• Like 1