Model Cars Magazine Forum

Suggestions for "dulling down" acrylic paint

I have just gotten into the scale model building hobby a few months ago and I am now on my third build.  I just painted an interior with Tamiya and Vallejo acrylic paints and to my eye the interior looks off because the paint is much to glossy.  Any suggestions on how I can dull the gloss so it looks more like vinyl or leather without ruining the paint?  Thanks guys any suggestions would be very much appreciated.p

36 minutes ago, Slimguy1 said:

Thanks for the suggestions Snake.  I have Testors spray lacquer dullcoat.  Will that work with he acrylic?  The acrylic paint has dried now for 72 hours.  

It MAY cause your acrylic to crack and blister. Try testing on an inconspicuous place before you potentially ruin your interior.

Good suggestion Ace.  I have been reading so much about paint compatibility my head is spinning!!  Agree that I should paint some sprue or a spoon  with the two acrylic paints then try out the spray.

Edited by Slimguy1

19 minutes ago, Slimguy1 said:

Thanks Ray for that suggestion. I was thinking about heading out to the hardware store this week...will pick up a can of that for sure.

I did an edit on my post, to include the word acrylic. "You can also get Krylon acrylic in a flat clear."

Chances are very good that the Testors "Dullcote" will not harm the acrylic paint.

Testors "lacquers" are generally very mild.

I have sprayed Testors clear gloss lacquer over pretty much everything with no issues, but you might want to take Snake's advice & test it before using it.

Keep in mind that spraying a flat clear over the paint will result in an all out flat finish.

you won't get a "matte" or "semi gloss" finish with a dull coat.

If you have an airbrush, Testors does carry those finishes in their acrylic bottle paint line.

I believe that they also carry some semi gloss clears in rattle cans, but I'm not positive which ones & whether or not they are acrylics, enamels or lacquers.

In the future you can dull down gloss paints with a touch of corn starch mixed into the paint.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

You're not building or painting a kit made of plastic spoons. Test it on the kit sprue. It will give you a more accurate idea as to compatibility. Vallejo paints don't have much "bite" if applied on unprimed surfaces. It's always recommended that parts be primed prior to use. I'm speaking from years of experience using Vallejo acrylics on armor models. I've used Testors Dullcote on Vallejo paints without any cracking, crinkling or blistering. Even better if you have Vallejo 70.520 Matte Varnish or 70.522 Satin Varnish, use them.

Edited by SfanGoch

If you're using Tamiya acrylics, their X-21 Flat Base works very well to dull down their acrylic paints. Be warned that a little of that stuff goes a long way.  Use too much and your flattened paint will have chalky whitish streaks in it.  It also has to be mixed very thoroughly with the paint.  And you'll want to test it beforehand.  Since Tamiya acrylics dry very fast, you might also want to pick up some Tamiya #87114 Acrylic Paint Retarder.  That will give you more working time. 

Gentleman...I am so appreciative of the advice you have given me.  For Many of you, I have viewed some of your exceptional work in the "under glass" posting section so I know you all speak from experience.  I am excited about trying out your suggestions. Many many thanks to all of you.