Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pet peeve of mine!

I don't really have any pet peeves for other people's builds. As long as someone enjoys the building, it's all good to me. I think I've been guilty of just about everything mentioned in this thread, at one time or another.

... But sometimes I see stuff and wonder "Why didn't they try to fix that?". The thing I notice the most is poorly fitting tires and rims... where the rim sits way out past the bead edge of a tire or the assembly sits far too far out past the wheel openings. At that point I think "Nice build except for..."

$.02

as said, those models where the builder did a great job, but stopped one iota short!  Yes the grills not being blacked out qualifies.  My peeve?  The car is all BMFed and looks great, but the builder didn't chrome the scripts or color the side lamps! 

On 5/18/2018 at 3:28 PM, Tom Geiger said:

as said, those models where the builder did a great job, but stopped one iota short!  Yes the grills not being blacked out qualifies.  My peeve?  The car is all BMFed and looks great, but the builder didn't chrome the scripts or color the side lamps! 

That one gets me as well.

Or the body is all nicely BMF'd, but they left the vent windows painted ? :huh:

Steve

You Tube Videos! Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that they are putting the effort in to help those who want it ... but why do they have to natter on about irrelevant stuff and turn 10 minutes worth of advice into a 25 minute video?

Edited by NOBLNG

On 5/18/2018 at 4:25 PM, Eshaver said:

"Sorry for the CRA--y pictures ! Hey look, if ya can post a picture here , ya can post a picture these OLD eyes can decipher what ya did ....

This is one but my main pet peeve is . . . "it's finished except for the ________ and I'll add the _______ later ."   HUH ?:o

Not an exclusively modelling thing, and not so much a peeve, as it's amusing when people decide to HIGHLIGHT certain words and phrases in their posts, like the REASON your aren't COMPREHENDING their BRILLIANT ideas is that maybe you can't SEE them because they aren't BIG and BOLD enough, or they aren't using enough COLOUR!

I suppose you're supposed to be swayed by the forcefulness of their words, but nonsense shouted at the top of your lungs is still nonsense.  In any case, the effect is not so much forceful as "The voices in my head think you're wrong too!"

3 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Not an exclusively modelling thing, and not so much a peeve, as it's amusing when people decide to HIGHLIGHT certain words and phrases in their posts, like the REASON your aren't COMPREHENDING their BRILLIANT ideas is that maybe you can't SEE them because they aren't BIG and BOLD enough, or they aren't using enough COLOUR!

I suppose you're supposed to be swayed by the forcefulness of their words, but nonsense shouted at the top of your lungs is still nonsense.  In any case, the effect is not so much forceful as "The voices in my head think you're wrong too!"

Richard,  you HIT the NAIL the right on the HEAD!!!!!!

Right now, at the top of my list, and this really applies to Facebook is people posting photos of their work or completed model that is similar to the one you are working on,  I REALLY DISLIKE that,  and it comes being an attention seeking I dont think I can type the word and use it.

Example, I post a photo of a painted body,  attention seeking person comes along and has to post a photo of his completed model ( and not the first time )

1 hour ago, SSNJim said:

Two things that get me are hoods that don't fit properly, and "helicopter" photographs as if the picture was taken from a fourth floor window.

You think it's bad here, try looking at model airplane sites. "High 3/4 rear" shots seem to dominate because everyone wants you to see their cockpit detail, which of course you can't unless it's a closeup of the cockpit area. But "high 3/4 rear" shots of real airplanes are rare; it's not a popular or common angle in real life. From such a model photograph you can get just about NO idea of how accurate the model is in shape, nor whether the builder got the dihedral right, put the landing gear on at the correct angle, etc. I don't mind when a review or a build showoff has one or two pics like this, but 8 out of 10? C'mon! :angry:

That's exactly my point. I can deal with high shots to demonstrate or emphasize a point, but most modeling subjects are viewed from a low angle. I can't really get a feel for the subject though high angles, especially with a subject I'm not familiar with.

36 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

Hmmmm ? I always look at models from high up. Not that being 6'5" has anything to do with it though.

Am I doing it wrong ?

Am I supposed to get down to table height to look at them ? :huh:

Getting down to scale eye level will give you the same view that you see in real life, and in most pics of real cars. 

Yup, nothing like someone posting an album from a model show and ALL the photos are roof shots!  

Another peeve...  get the entire car in the photo!  I hate those shots where they cut off a portion of the vehicle.  It's like they aimed the camera and missed!

On 5/21/2018 at 2:15 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

I split a side laughing at this one! Yes, it's as if the rest of us are not on the same planet and somehow typing like that is a sign of superiority!

BTW- this is a US website, there is no "U" in the word "COLOR" !:D:D

My pet peave? Modellers who paint the headlights with a white/gray wash. It does not look like any head light I've ever seen. I know the chrome plated headlight isn't all that realistic but it is still better than white paint. Drop a bit of Elmer's clear glue on the head light if you want to add realism.