Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pet peeve of mine!

I will say that I totally agree about mastering the basics.  People will notice that before they notice anything.  One of the two time I won a largish troph, it was for an almost totally box stock L'il Coffin whi's only distinguishing features were a clean build, and I somehow managed a decent candy red paint job.

7 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Guys, in case no one noticed, this thread is specifically about complaints. If our complaints offend you, I recomment ALT - left arrow.

This my biggest peeve as well. This is also the person who's left wondering, "why didn't I win?" When he asks you as judge, and you show him the issues, he's full of excuses. 

And on the forums, he's the person who deletes his post because he didn't get any replies.

You can't delete posts here...

8 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I'm going to make a note of every pet peeve in this thread, and then build one kit that incorporates all of them.

Making heads explode!

:P

Often times the best way to learn how to avoid a problem is to figure out how to create it!  Good luck!B)

As long as the pet peeve isn't done to hurt, its a way to learn....and of course theres those out there now-days that think reality, facts, and self-pride aren't fair, and shoulnt be allowed. Drill Sergeants in the military have ALOT of pet peeves, and they do a great job of kicking it out of us to make us BETTER men, as well as soldiers!!…..if you get your butt hurt about this thread, then don't look at it. If you cant see it as a learning tool, then its sad that you are too prideful to better yourself. Heck, the first couple of contests I entered before I went into the military, people TORE me and my models a new one!!!!….NOT nicely either   -I told them that when I get out of the military I was coming for them, and I did!!!!….I used them as energy to get better!!!.....for my first three shows back, I took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in EVERY class I entered....all but trucks, and low riders. I took their negativity, and kicked their butts with it!! I don't need to compete anymore now.

12 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

I will be waiting to see this build.

10 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Often times the best way to learn how to avoid a problem is to figure out how to create it!  Good luck!B)

You know what? I'm totally going to do this. 

At first I just said it as a joke, but I went through this thread and have a list of 30 peeves. 

This is going to be fun.

2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

At first I just said it as a joke, but I went through this thread and have a list of 30 peeves. 

This is going to be fun.

I once came into possession of a '49 Merc kit and decided to build it with everything I hated on it--spotlights, fender skirts, flipper hubcaps, whitewalls, continental kit, extra chrome trim, purple paint with horrible green scallops, and on and on and on. The idea was to take it to a club meeting and see how many people told me I'd built an absolutely perfect '50s custom (and I have no doubt, there WOULD have been some). 

And then I decided I'd be better off spending my time and effort on building models I actually liked. B):lol:

8 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

As long as the pet peeve isn't done to hurt, its a way to learn....and of course theres those out there now-days that think reality, facts, and self-pride aren't fair, and shoulnt be allowed.

if you get your butt hurt about this thread, then don't look at it. If you cant see it as a learning tool, then its sad that you are too prideful to better yourself.

I find it interesting how some feel that a thread like this is hurtful or mean 

I believe that it is absolutely a learning tool.

If even one person reads this & realizes that sanding the seam from the top of the radiator is something that they had not thought of, than it has done what it was intended to do.

We all have different focuses when we build & we may not always catch particular details during the process & a thread like this can serve to point out some of those short comings without singling out individuals.

It is infinitely more useful than a multitude of "atta-boy's" & "great build's" that are sometimes automatically dished out on every "Under Glass" post.

In my opinion, that is a much bigger insult than pointing out areas that could have been improved upon, as long as it is done tactfully.

I have learned more here than I ever imagined & it didn't come from accolades that I may have received for my builds.

It comes from threads like this where people bring up items that I might not have thought of on my own.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

27 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

If even one person reads this & realizes that sanding the seam from the top of the radiator is something that they had not thought of, than it has done what it was intended to do.

We all have different focuses when we build & we may not always catch particular details during the process & a thread like this can serve to point out some of those short comings without singling out individuals.

It is infinitely more useful than a multitude of "atta-boy's" & "great build's" that are sometimes automatically dished out on every "Under Glass" post.

In my opinion, that is a much bigger insult than pointing out areas that could have been improved upon, as long as it is done tactfully.

I have learned more here than I ever imagined & it didn't come from accolades that I may have received for my builds.

It comes from threads like this where people bring up items that I might not have thought of on my own.

Steve

Image result for preach it meme

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

I agree 100%, This IS a good way to put it across without pointing the finger at any individual, cause lets face it, there are a heck of a lot more OVER sensitive people now-days......this is a great compromise. They should be lucky that they didn't get "Run through the gauntlet" like most of us were.

Edited by Dann Tier

Just as an example, one of the things that had just not registered in my mind throughout all of my years of building until rather recently was scribing panel lines in cowl areas & rocker panels.

I didn't pick that tidbit up because of people who were afraid that they might be politically incorrect for pointing it out.

I learned that because I read it somewhere on this forum.

It makes no difference to me where I read it, just as long as it was offered somewhere.

This is just one of hundreds of little things that I have learned in the short time that I have been frequenting model forums, whether here or elsewhere.

Keeping things to yourself is absolutely not helpful to anyone who participates in a forum for not just the camaraderie, but because they want to learn something.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

Another peeve of mine!  All the disingenuous "woo hoo, great builds".  If you put your models up here just to get your ego stroked, I got to believe that you should find a good shrink.  I don't mind if someone puts an atta boy on a quality build, but how many times have we seen a ton of attaboys on blurry, out of focus or just generally flawed builds.  I'm not saying rip into it, but if it ain't good, don't throw false praise out there.  Me, I reserve my attaboys for the good stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

Another peeve of mine!  All the disingenuous "woo hoo, great builds".  If you put your models up here just to get your ego stroked, I got to believe that you should find a good shrink.  I don't mind if someone puts an atta boy on a quality build, but how many times have we seen a ton of attaboys on blurry, out of focus or just generally flawed builds.  I'm not saying rip into it, but if it ain't good, don't throw false praise out there.  Me, I reserve my attaboys for the good stuff. 

I will just refrain from comment as a rule if the subject does not interest me, or if the build itself does not really stand out in my mind.

But if I do comment, I am not afraid to make a respectful recommendation if I see something that may be able to be improved & for the builder to think about on his next build.

This is part of the reason that I like to do "work in progress" threads for my builds.

It gives others the opportunity to make suggestions for improvements so that If it's something that I would like to use, I can catch it before it's too late.

I don't always use all of the suggestions for whatever reason, but it's extremely helpful to have as many opinions as possible.

Steve

9 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I will just refrain from comment as a rule if the subject does not interest me, or if the build itself does not really stand out in my mind.

But if I do comment, I am not afraid to make a respectful recommendation if I see something that may be able to be improved & for the builder to think about on his next build.

This is part of the reason that I like to do "work in progress" threads for my builds.

It gives others the opportunity to make suggestions for improvements so that If it's something that I would like to use, I can catch it before it's too late.

I don't always use all of the suggestions for whatever reason, but it's extremely helpful to have as many opinions as possible.

Steve

Ditto

I have zero issues with criticisms , as long as its done with tact.  Just Don't talk down to me or criticize my build just because ' you think' your better than I am

Another way to look at a build in process thread is , you would be amazed what you see on the computer screen that you didn't see before. Trust me . It happens to me just about every model I build

20 minutes ago, DiscoRover007 said:

I typically only  criticize if i get the idea that the OP is open to suggestion or has generally done a good job and with some minor tweaks could really improve the look.

Exactly.

If the build is just an overall mess, I won't comment at all.

Generally, I will point out obvious flaws on an otherwise nice build that as a rule, the OP may already know, but on occasion just might have missed or did not know what to look for.

Usually simple items that can be easily addressed on the next build or possibly even fixed on the current one.

I find these types of comments & suggestions very valuable.

But I suppose there are individuals who might consider them an attack.

So as you stated James, I am usually quite careful of the statements that I make.

Borderline PC I guess you could say. ;)

My intention is never to offend, but to help if possible.

Steve

9 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

This is going to be fun.

That's what its all about, having fun right ?

Seriously,  at the same time you could do it as a way to help people, pointing out things that often get overlooked,  if you can help even one person better their own builds then that is time well spent. 

Edited by martinfan5

10 hours ago, Jantrix said:

That's not what Alt - Left Arrow does. Give it a try.

Your last sentence is (And on the forums, he's the person who deletes his post because he didn't get any replies.) read what you wrote before replying...no ill will intended..

Edited by slusher

24 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

That's what its all about, having fun right ?

Seriously,  at the same time you could do it as a way to help people, pointing out things that often get overlooked,  if you can help even one person better their own builds then that is time well spent.

So true having fun, learning, and enjoying the build...

On 4/25/2018 at 10:08 AM, espo said:

I have to agree. I usually withhold my personal opinion if it is negative and try to compliment the things I find positive about other's builds. There have been times that the builder will ask for input both positive or negative and I have responded with only offering some possible solutions and then been attacked by others on the forum for being a "rivet counter" or something. When asked for input you have to walk a very fine line and sometimes it is hard to come across as trying to help and not criticize.  

It is a fine line to walk on this forum(and to be fair other forums) between offering help and being critical.  Since in most cases, I don't personally know most of the people here, I just stay out of it, unless someone is asking a "How to" question.  Since we are not face to face or voice to voice, you cannot gauge many of the things we take as ques in everyday conversation such as inflection, facial expressions or body language.  With strictly the written word, it is easy to be misunderstood as few of us are highly skilled wordsmiths. 

1 hour ago, Pete J. said:

It is a fine line to walk on this forum(and to be fair other forums) between offering help and being critical.  Since in most cases, I don't personally know most of the people here, I just stay out of it, unless someone is asking a "How to" question.  Since we are not face to face or voice to voice, you cannot gauge many of the things we take as ques in everyday conversation such as inflection, facial expressions or body language.  With strictly the written word, it is easy to be misunderstood as few of us are highly skilled wordsmiths. 

That is absolutely true.

Steve

13 hours ago, slusher said:

Your last sentence is (And on the forums, he's the person who deletes his post because he didn't get any replies.) read what you wrote before replying...no ill will intended..

Oh. My mistake. You are quite right. We cannot delete entire posts. We can however, delete the original post contents and change the title. Which we have seen on several occasions when someone didn't get the ataboys he was looking for. No sweat Carl, we're good.