Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pet peeve of mine!

14 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

That's what its all about, having fun right ?

Seriously,  at the same time you could do it as a way to help people, pointing out things that often get overlooked,  if you can help even one person better their own builds then that is time well spent. 

It would be interesting if I had two of the same kit. Build one with all the peeves, and then build one with the peeves removed.

Now having said that, my skills aren't up to the task of perfection that some around here consistantly acheive, but I think even with my average skil,ls there would be a noticeable difference.

As an experiment, I might just go out and buy two kits and do this.

Hmm...

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

It would be interesting if I had two of the same kit. Build one with all the peeves, and then build one with the peeves removed.

Now having said that, my skills aren't up to the task of perfection that some around here consistantly acheive, but I think even with my average skil,ls there would be a noticeable difference.

As an experiment, I might just go out and buy two kits and do this.

Hmm...

I've done a couple of Then And Now builds, and hope to do more. Basically, I'll take one of my old builds, clean it up but leave it pretty much as-is, and then get another copy of the same kit (or closest equivalent) and build it the same way (or as close as I can stand) using my current day skills. My old builds often exhibit many of the "pet peeves" and other flaws mentioned in this thread. 

Edited by Snake45

One thing that gets me mildly perturbed is when folks quote a post with pictures and don't delete the pictures from the quote. Especially if there are a lot of them and I have to scroll through them all again and again to get to the replies.

Edited by NOBLNG
sp

31 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

One thing that gets me mildly perturbed is when folks quote a post with pictures and don't delete the pictures from the quote. Especially if there are a lot of them and I have to scroll through them all again and again to get to the replies.

X 250,000 AGREE

2 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Yeah, that one bothers me a little too.

And it's not difficult to do.

Steve

13 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Ditto!

55 minutes ago, Xingu said:

After you hit quote, just click in the box with the photos and you can delete them.

And don't forget, it's not even always necessary to Quote. Unless you're addressing some particular point, a simple Reply works fine. B)

14 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

1 hour ago, Xingu said:

After you hit quote, just click in the box with the photos and you can delete them.

12 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Yeah, that one bothers me a little too.

And it's not difficult to do.

Steve

I agree 100%

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

And don't forget, it's not even always necessary to Quote. Unless you're addressing some particular point, a simple Reply works fine. B)

The only nice advantage to using the quote function is that the poster of the original message will receive a notification insuring that they will read your reply.

Steve

5 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The only nice advantage to using the quote function is that the poster of the original message will receive a notification insuring that they will read your reply.

Steve

I never receive any notifications. I must have them turned off. Good. B) I get dozens of them a day from another board, and they drive me crazy. 

The only time quoting some comment is convenient is when there are a few responses between the quoted post and your reply when it is posted on the board. This directs your comment to a specific person and you don't look like Rain Man answering to no one in particular with non sequiturs.

3 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

The only time quoting some comment is convenient is when there are a few responses between the quoted post and your reply when it is posted on the board. This directs your comment to a specific person and you don't look like Rain Man answering to no one in particular with non sequiturs.

Agreed.

Steve

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I never receive any notifications. I must have them turned off. Good. B) I get dozens of them a day from another board, and they drive me crazy. 

I only get notifications of a quote to a post on the forum itself.

But what I do like is the e-mail notifications that I get when I get a PM.

That way I know that I have a PM before I even log onto the forum.

Steve

On 6/21/2018 at 9:03 PM, NOBLNG said:

If a photo is vital to the quote I just click on it,the resize it to a much smaller size. If the quote contains lots of photos I usually only leave the one which I'm addressing in my reply (also in reduced size).

On 6/14/2018 at 3:56 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

But if I do comment, I am not afraid to make a respectful recommendation if I see something that may be able to be improved & for the builder to think about on his next build.

This is part of the reason that I like to do "work in progress" threads for my builds.

It gives others the opportunity to make suggestions for improvements so that If it's something that I would like to use, I can catch it before it's too late.

Yes!  I was building a '34 Ford with a sectioned body.  I showed the progress shots on the boards to that same  "great work" response.  FINALLY, after I had finished the color coat, someone mentioned that the roof was an incorrect shape on that kit!    Man,  I back tracked and did the work to make it almost right.  But why couldn't someone have mentioned it early in the build?

Do any of you have a Pet-Peeve that you really don't know why?......I do; when people say, 1:1, or "plumbed"......to me that just sounds stupid, kinda like a kid whose trying to make up his own cool way of talking, but everybody looks at him like he's an idiot...lol.  Unless you're an actual "Plumber", it just sounds stupid to me....lol

1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

Do any of you have a Pet-Peeve that you really don't know why?......I do; when people say, 1:1, or "plumbed"......to me that just sounds stupid, kinda like a kid whose trying to make up his own cool way of talking, but everybody looks at him like he's an idiot...lol.  Unless you're an actual "Plumber", it just sounds stupid to me....lol

Guilty!  I use 1:1 because it is shorter than typing "Full sized car".  Yes in that respect I am lazy, but then I tend to text and word count matters.  May be a bad habit. 

As to plumbing, the definition I know means that you are connecting things with hoses and pipes.  I'm no plumber but have been working with pipe and hose of all kinds since I was a kid.  I can't imagine another word to describe the activity.  I'm certainly not "hoseing" or "piping" an engine although I am wiring and engine not eletricianing it.  Oh and while we are at it, plumb also means perfectly vertical as in the wall is plumb.  No wonder non english speakers go nuts when they try to learn our language. 

Gallagher has always done a great bit on this. 

6 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

Guilty!  I use 1:1 because it is shorter than typing "Full sized car".  Yes in that respect I am lazy, but then I tend to text and word count matters.  May be a bad habit. 

As to plumbing, the definition I know means that you are connecting things with hoses and pipes.  I'm no plumber but have been working with pipe and hose of all kinds since I was a kid.  I can't imagine another word to describe the activity.  I'm certainly not "hoseing" or "piping" an engine although I am wiring and engine not eletricianing it.  Oh and while we are at it, plumb also means perfectly vertical as in the wall is plumb.  No wonder non english speakers go nuts when they try to learn our language. 

Gallagher has always done a great bit on this. 

Lmao!!….I don't "hate" on it, but I don't really understand why it makes me mental either...