Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pet peeve of mine!

1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

Do any of you have a Pet-Peeve that you really don't know why?......I do; when people say, 1:1, or "plumbed"......to me that just sounds stupid, kinda like a kid whose trying to make up his own cool way of talking, but everybody looks at him like he's an idiot...lol.  Unless you're an actual "Plumber", it just sounds stupid to me....lol

And instead of "plumbed," you would like us to say what?

LOL.. I am brand new to all this and the terms do leave me scratching my head sometimes.  I remember looking at one of the ScaleAuto Contest Car magazines and it said the guy wired his tachometer.. and I'm thinking WTH did he do that for... do they have working gauges?

12 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

LOL.. I am brand new to all this and the terms do leave me scratching my head sometimes.  I remember looking at one of the ScaleAuto Contest Car magazines and it said the guy wired his tachometer.. and I'm thinking WTH did he do that for... do they have working gauges?

LOL!!…….lets just say, some people can get REALLY into their models....their own little "special" world....lol     -Heres a term to be warry of: "Purists". If anybody gives you a problem, it'll be these types first. For some strange reason, when commenting on another persons work, they automatically forget that its only a MODEL, and that one of the great FREEDOMS of this art/ hobby, is that we can build stuff ANY way we want. It really is laughable at times...…

Edited by Dann Tier

11 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

whatever the heck you want....it isnt hurting me. I just say, "fully detailed", but that's me....probably annoys someone, but I don't care.

But "fully detailed" to me means that it is an exact replica of the 1:1  :D engine.  So it would have brackets for alternator, AC compressor, power-steering pump, etc., oil and transmission dipsticks, etc. Most modelers do not include all those details in their miniature plumbed engines. Like others said, "plumbed" means it has some hoses and tubing/pipes modeled.

And as a side note, when you configure an Ethernet interface on a computer, you are also "plumbing" it.  At least in technical lingo.

Another phrase people toss around very loosely is scratch built.  Scratch build does not mean you modified a part out of a kit or added parts from another kit.  Wiring and (excuse me) plumbing an engine is not scratch building.  Scratch building means taking materials in their most fundamental state( sheets, rods or tubes of plastic, aluminum or other material  etc.) and create a part from those materials.  Resin casing another part from a kit is not scratch building.  Resin casting a part you built up from scratch could be scratch building.

Interestingly, IPMS has added a section to their rules that 3D printing is not scratch building. Apparently you have to have manipulated the material with tools to create it and a printer is not a "tool".  I find it interesting that they  separate 3D printing from using a computer driven mill or lathe.  Hummm

Edited by Pete J.

While I appreciate all of the great things that can be created with 3D printing, in my mind it is very much a tool that changes materials from one configuration to another. This sounds like a tool to me. In some ways it could be considered "cheating" as far as creating a part since it's not like you had a chunk of plastic and carved something out of it. Like I said I like all the things you can do with a 3D printer, just wonder if anyone else think of it as a tool or not.  

11 hours ago, peteski said:

But "fully detailed" to me means that it is an exact replica of the 1:1  :D engine.  So it would have brackets for alternator, AC compressor, power-steering pump, etc., oil and transmission dipsticks, etc. Most modelers do not include all those details in their miniature plumbed engines. Like others said, "plumbed" means it has some hoses and tubing/pipes modeled.

And as a side note, when you configure an Ethernet interface on a computer, you are also "plumbing" it.  At least in technical lingo.

I hear what you're saying, but like in my original comment, right...wrong...indifferent, for some reason, "plumbing" sounds REALLY STUPID to me. People haven't told me what to say, so I don't tell them what to say.

1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

I hear what you're saying, but like in my original comment, right...wrong...indifferent, for some reason, "plumbing" sounds REALLY STUPID to me. People haven't told me what to say, so I don't tell them what to say.

I've always thought plumbing was an odd term as well. It leads me to believe that the cooling hoses were added, and hollowed out all the way  into the in the engine block. NOW THATS REALISM LOL

15 minutes ago, DiscoRover007 said:

I've always thought plumbing was an odd term as well. It leads me to believe that the cooling hoses were added, and hollowed out all the way  into the in the engine block. NOW THATS REALISM LOL

LMAO!!!