Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pet peeve of mine!

I've been around here for awhile. There are multitudes of GREAT builds on here! But the one thing that bothers me is that there are builds here that are wonderfully built, but the chrome grilles are not detailed with a black wash! It makes a great build look unfinished! Just my opinion, and I had to air it!! I have seen enough to bother me. Maybe it's just me!

Dennis

I see a lot of things on builds here that I would change or would have done differently, but I realize It's just a hobby. I wish more people would post their builds good or bad I'm just happy to see people enjoying building models.

I've been away from building for a few years, and after getting back on here I'm very surprised at how few post there are compared to just a few years ago.

1 hour ago, moparfarmer said:

My big deal is yellow plug wires.  To me it makes the underhood detailing look cheap..I remember those cheap yellow wires with a MSD yellow box on cars..

Yellow was Accel, MSD's signature color is red, today you can get MSD stuff in black too.
The thing bugging me on a build is left moldlines on things like the radiator and other visible places.

Edited by Force

Mine would be to so many builders who only ever comment on their own build !!   

They expect people to comment on their build,  get sooky when they don't, but refuse to comment an any one else's build, that is pure arrogance in my opinion.. 

Comments are what keeps a forum alive..  always remember that.

I think it all boils down to ones ability and resources.   Many of us older or younger ones are still learning and many have budget issues too.   I am sure all of us wish we could do better with them than the last one...I know I do its like we think there never meet our expectations or wishes always wanting them to be more.    I am amazed at some of our handicap builders here that have issues with their hands...some of them are outstanding looking.   I have been building all my life and still need to learn many things myself....black washing grilles...foiling...flocking..etc.   We all strive for better. 

27 minutes ago, disabled modeler said:

I think it all boils down to ones ability and resources.   Many of us older or younger ones are still learning and many have budget issues too.   I am sure all of us wish we could do better with them than the last one...I know I do its like we think there never meet our expectations or wishes always wanting them to be more.    I am amazed at some of our handicap builders here that have issues with their hands...some of them are outstanding looking.   I have been building all my life and still need to learn many things myself....black washing grilles...foiling...flocking..etc.   We all strive for better. 

Well Mark I saw the Topic and I thought the same as you before I even commented...................Agreed!

Heres what drives me meantal.....when people say, "Its box stock except for, plug wires, wheels, tyres....and so on. 2) When people mix kit chrome with some other chrome paint on body parts!, wheels are okay, but photo-etch parts CAN be painted too!!!, and either strip ALL the chrome to redo it, or leave it...they DONT go together well. 

Maybe there should be a special section for professional or competition builds where everything is expected to be perfect. I personally see things that I don't like or would change on some models, but if I don't have anything nice to say I don't reply. I don't know if the builder has full dexterity and eyesight. Some folks have OCD, some don't.  Now if the builder has asked for opinions, that's different. That said, I would encourage everyone to  search the tips and tricks section.

Edited by NOBLNG

8 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

My big deal is yellow plug wires.  To me it makes the underhood detailing look cheap..I remember those cheap yellow wires with a MSD yellow box on cars..

Agree. Or blue. If you're building a factory stock '60s car, don't put blue or yellow plug wires on it and claim it's factory stock. It's "Day Two" at that point and you might as well put mags and flames on it and jack up the back end too. B):lol:

54 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Agree. Or blue. If you're building a factory stock '60s car, don't put blue or yellow plug wires on it and claim it's factory stock. It's "Day Two" at that point and you might as well put mags and flames on it and jack up the back end too. B):lol:

I once made a comment to a factory stock builder about using colored wires, other than black, on his builds and his response was that if he used black, no one could see them that well! 

Then I built a dragster with an SBC, ran the wires down the sides like a factory setup and no one could see the black wires! Someone even suggested that I wire the engine for a better appearance! :lol:

Meh, there are plenty of things I wouldn't do, but I keep those opinions to myself.

And there are others who really should just keep their opinions to themselves. I'll explain.

There are plenty of builds out there with flaws, mine included.

No matter how well intended, criticism can drag a lot of people's attitudes down. And what better way to squash one's enthusiasm for a hobby than to tell them they got a colour wrong, or a wire in the wrong place, or just didn't do something correctly.

I know there are a lot of very knowledgable guys here who truly just want to help and offer advise, and really don't want to or plan to come across as meansprited, but some of those same people maybe don't quite have the tact needed to get their point across. It's all about perception.

I'm not saying don't try to offer advise, I'm just saying pause, take a couple of seconds to consider your words, then type.

:)

I'll never build anything correct because I'm just building and having fun. Isn't that what a hobby is all about? I look at other people's builds and the imagination they have to create some of the custom, barn find, stock, and hot rod builds. I enjoy looking at them and commenting on how nice their build is. And amazed at the detail. But heck. I put stacks on backwards hot rod build. My dyslexia kicking it. Will I fix it. Maybe. Maybe not. Because to me it's all fun and games and that is what model car building should be. And as Dan above said. Criticism can really bring someone down who has built the best to there ability. I, for one, am so happy to find this model car forum because the builds I see and the fact everyone seems nice. Boosted my desire to start building again.  :-)

Edited by ewetwo

10 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

But if you're building an '80's street machine or some high-school kid's ride, you need the yellow wires! (And red boots...) Sometimes cheap is just the look you want. :) 

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Meh, there are plenty of things I wouldn't do, but I keep those opinions to myself.

And there are others who really should just keep their opinions to themselves. I'll explain.

No matter how well intended, criticism can drag a lot of people's attitudes down. And what better way to squash one's enthusiasm for a hobby than to tell them they got a colour wrong, or a wire in the wrong place, or just didn't do something correctly.

I know there are a lot of very knowledgable guys here who truly just want to help and offer advise, and really don't want to or plan to come across as meansprited, but some of those same people maybe don't quite have the tact needed to get their point across. It's all about perception.

I'm not saying don't try to offer advise, I'm just saying pause, take a couple of seconds to consider your words, then type.

You win the internet for today. I am but a so so builder, who feels my age is starting to affect the quality of my builds. Who am I to criticize other's work? Plus, it is rarely taken well.

8 minutes ago, Jon Cole said:

You win the internet for today. I am but a so so builder, who feels my age is starting to affect the quality of my builds. Who am I to criticize other's work? Plus, it is rarely taken well.

Of course, every coin has two sides.
Offering an opinion should be good, as long as it's not a diss aimed at an individual. 

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I have to agree. I usually withhold my personal opinion if it is negative and try to compliment the things I find positive about other's builds. There have been times that the builder will ask for input both positive or negative and I have responded with only offering some possible solutions and then been attacked by others on the forum for being a "rivet counter" or something. When asked for input you have to walk a very fine line and sometimes it is hard to come across as trying to help and not criticize.  

15 hours ago, Mercuryman54 said:

I've been around here for awhile. There are multitudes of GREAT builds on here! But the one thing that bothers me is that there are builds here that are wonderfully built, but the chrome grilles are not detailed with a black wash! It makes a great build look unfinished! Just my opinion, and I had to air it!! I have seen enough to bother me. Maybe it's just me!

Dennis

I hafta agree with you on that, as we have a number of club members who don't "wash" their grilles and it doesn't look right.

3 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

But if you're building an '80's street machine or some high-school kid's ride, you need the yellow wires! (And red boots...) Sometimes cheap is just the look you want. :) 

Absolutely. I remember putting them on my first car because they were sort of "in." That's what make them so dated. When I built this one I tried for the most early 80's colors I could use.

DSC032081-vi.jpg