Model Cars Magazine Forum

Accurate Miniatures McLaren M8B. Does the tooling still exist?

4 hours ago, garagepunk66 said:

Just wondering aloud if the tooling is still around and if we may ever see it again released by someone else. It's a bear to build but it's the only game in town on the subject matter, and arguably the best 1/24 or 1/25 Can Am kit ever.

I'm sure the second hand market will be able to supply kits to those who want to build them. Judging by the number of  kits available for $20-$30, there doesn't seem to be any need to reissue them any time soon.

Maybe there's a stash of McLaren M8 kits sitting in a warehouse somewhere.  Though as Casey said, the M8 kits aren't hard to find right now.  That's how Revell re-issued the Accurate Miniatures Corvette Grand Sport a few years ago:  found a bunch of bagged kits, printed up boxes and sold them at a good price.  There were rumors that Revell had acquired the molds and re-popped the kits but that was not true. 

For anyone interested in the man and his cars, check out the 2017 documentary "McLaren," directed by Roger Donaldson.  It mentions that McLaren came to the U.S. to race Can-Am because there wasn't enough money in Formula 1.  It has interviews with Mario Andretti and others who knew McLaren, including family members.  It's too short, at an hour and a half, but McLaren's life was tragically short.  He was only 32 years old when he died, testing a car at Goodwood.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5031332/

I wish I could remember who did a resin version of the Grand Sport Roadster. I thought I had it bookmarked, but either I didn't have, or accidently deleted it. So if anybody remembers please send me a message reminder. I have some extra kits for the conversion. Now if I could figure out how to get the photo-etch reproduced too! I always seem to lose a piece, usually the last one that there is never anything else close to being able to "cover" the original I lost!

I converted a 1/32 slot to the Roadster body.   Painted close to the Wintersteen car.   Wish I could afford all the extras to make a really nice GS roadster.   tires, body, headers, etc.  Extra parts and decals.   I do love the GS, whether model or the real ones.  

On 4/26/2018 at 7:03 AM, Mike999 said:

Maybe there's a stash of McLaren M8 kits sitting in a warehouse somewhere.  Though as Casey said, the M8 kits aren't hard to find right now.  That's how Revell re-issued the Accurate Miniatures Corvette Grand Sport a few years ago:  found a bunch of bagged kits, printed up boxes and sold them at a good price.  There were rumors that Revell had acquired the molds and re-popped the kits but that was not true. 

For anyone interested in the man and his cars, check out the 2017 documentary "McLaren," directed by Roger Donaldson.  It mentions that McLaren came to the U.S. to race Can-Am because there wasn't enough money in Formula 1.  It has interviews with Mario Andretti and others who knew McLaren, including family members.  It's too short, at an hour and a half, but McLaren's life was tragically short.  He was only 32 years old when he died, testing a car at Goodwood.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5031332/

The McLaren Documentary is essential watching for fans of the Can Am. I'm also reading "The Last Season" McLaren biography by Jeanne Beeching. Very good also. 

As far as Revell issuing "found" stock of the Corvette GS kit trees, how in the world did they wrangle the legalese behind that? Or was it part of a bankruptcy liquidation?

7 hours ago, garagepunk66 said:

As far as Revell issuing "found" stock of the Corvette GS kit trees, how in the world did they wrangle the legalese behind that? Or was it part of a bankruptcy liquidation?

Sounds like part of the bankruptcy liquidation. Here's what Dave Van had to say about that back in 2012, and a link to the whole thread:

"These kits that Revell is selling are re-boxed Accurate Miniatures kits. These were in the warehouse when AM went under. MRC got the planes and Revell got the Vette. The molds....who knows. I had two family members that worked at the last AM in Concord NC and I packed a few kits there myself. These are 2nd gen kits with many of the fit issues corrected. A pretty decent kit IMHO.....I built a few for the original AM back in the day!"

• 2 years later...
A number (of Accurate Miniatures molds) were sold to Academy... B-25, SB2U, Yak, F3F, Corvette, McLaren, the never seen NASCAR Taurus and the SBD.. Doubt that any of the car kits will ever be run again... McLaren licensing is astronomical..... APMC holds the P-51/P-51A/A-36 and wing parts for the P-51B (Never see the AccMin P-51B probably),, IL-2, and TBF/TBM... This is FACT!!

I built a number of the AM McLaren's for AM. They had to supply built ups to McLaren as part of the deal. This one should be in McLarens hands or tossed in the trash....who knows....but it was sent to them. Wish I had them back as I am not looking forward to build myself copies!!! 

I do recall Bob talking about how hard and costly McLaren was.....That is why AM II Concord, the 2nd AM, never ran the McLaren. 

MCLARENAM.jpg

On 2/2/2021 at 1:41 PM, Casey said:
A number (of Accurate Miniatures molds) were sold to Academy... B-25, SB2U, Yak, F3F, Corvette, McLaren, the never seen NASCAR Taurus and the SBD.. Doubt that any of the car kits will ever be run again... McLaren licensing is astronomical..... APMC holds the P-51/P-51A/A-36 and wing parts for the P-51B (Never see the AccMin P-51B probably),, IL-2, and TBF/TBM... This is FACT!!

GTM Models of Hong Kong, the same anonymous company that ran an unlicensed copy of the Sunny Cobra (which is also tooling that belongs to Academy) is doing a run of the Corvettes as "American Sports Car"...

10754209p.jpg.4a144c5a68279ab2c337d0165ffebd05.jpg

10754209a.jpg.e4c2acf93512ce01c96eb94d9c0e9b66.jpg

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

GTM Models of Hong Kong, the same anonymous company that ran an unlicensed copy of the Sunny Cobra (which is also tooling that belongs to Academy) is doing a run of the Corvettes as "American Sports Car"...

10754209p.jpg.4a144c5a68279ab2c337d0165ffebd05.jpg

10754209a.jpg.e4c2acf93512ce01c96eb94d9c0e9b66.jpg

I can’t be any worse than the Sunny Cobra.  🙄  That kit is embarrassing.

On 2/4/2021 at 1:43 PM, afx said:

Corvette GS RoadsterCorvette GS Roadster1

I was very fortunate to win one of these about 20 years ago when my '69 Daytona won best of show back then at NNL East. I still have the kit (with a donor kit) and sometime I'd like to build it. Harold does EXCELLENT work and not long ago, I got a transkit from him to turn the Revell 300 SLR into an "airbrake" car like the one that raced at LeMans in '55.

On 2/3/2021 at 3:47 PM, vamach1 said:

I can’t be any worse than the Sunny Cobra.  🙄  That kit is embarrassing.

I always that that kit would make an excellent base for an FIA car. The body is too "puny" to represent a bonafide 427, but a pretty neat FIA car that would make with a little tweaking here and there.

2 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I always thought that kit would make an excellent base for an FIA car. The body is too "puny" to represent a bonafide 427, but a pretty neat FIA car that would make with a little tweaking here and there.

I believe there are several people who have in fact used it that way. I'd still like to see an FIA Cobra in kit (plastic) form though!