Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to handle Chrome headlights lenses?

I have used Tamiya X-11 Chrome Silver followed by either Clear or Future after the paint dried. This looks close next to the chrome headlight ring. Not as good as a clear lens but it makes it look different enough and is easy to do.  

This simple trick should get you there. Get some of you favorite clear. Add just a touch of white paint.  I would do some test runs on some chrome first. Make an almost pearlish clear if you will.

I use Tamiya clear and Tamiya flat white.

Works like a charm.

Bob

1 hour ago, Dragline said:

This simple trick should get you there. Get some of you favorite clear. Add just a touch of white paint.  I would do some test runs on some chrome first. Make an almost pearlish clear if you will.

I use Tamiya clear and Tamiya flat white.

Works like a charm.

Bob

Or you could just squirt some Testor White Lightning into its cap, and use that. I like it better for backup lights and white turn signals/side markers, but it could work for chrome headlights, too, maybe.

John, this is a longshot, but check your chrome parts in that kit and see if they are molded in clear plastic under the chrome. I have a Lindberg 1/32 Granada and many of its chrome parts have faded to reveal clear plastic underneath! If so, strip off the chrome from the lenses and you're all set.

On 4/26/2018 at 10:10 AM, Snake45 said:

Or you could just squirt some Testor White Lightning into its cap, and use that. I like it better for backup lights and white turn signals/side markers, but it could work for chrome headlights, too, maybe.

This morning at Walmart I discovered Folk Art has a pearl white in their acrylic metallic line. I'm looking forward to trying it for white lenses. 

• 3 weeks later...

I dry-brush the high spots with semi-gloss white enamel. I’ve found that gloss white does not provide enough contrast and satin is too dull for my taste. Of course, there’s more than one way to skin a cat but I really like the effect dry brushing them gives. In fact, I prefer to see chrome molded headlight lenses to clear plastic ones when I pop open a muscle car kit.

Real headlights aren't white. I believe Bill "Mr. Obsessive" Geary mentioned in a similar thread that he used some pearlescent acrylic craft paint applied over the lenses to achieve a realistic glass look. I use MM Acryl Gloss Clear with a small drop of silver acrylic paint mixed in. This imparts a sense of depth when the chrome plating reflects light. 

5afaee39459bd_Choice_Hotels_Commercial2.jpg.811943e7539344f08d3010a750f92985.jpg