Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford to Only sell two cars other than their pickup's/suv

i read this too, but they just spent so much money designing the focus rs, and what happens with the fiesta ST, focus ST. 

what happens to all of their wrc, and other rally cars. meh.  i have owned mostly fords, but my best auto was a GMC. maybe i will get a foreign car or truck.

Edited by youpey

Where did you guys read this? Seeing at how well the Fusion sells, I'd be surprised to see that go away. And the Taurus may stick around, purely because of the Interceptor sedan. Having said that, ALL police departments around here are running the Interceptor SUV, so maybe that one could die. 

Interesting.

23 minutes ago, youpey said:

i read this too, but they just spent so much money designing the focus rs, and what happens with the fiesta ST, focus ST.

what happens to all of their wrc, and other rally cars. meh.  

Those will still be built for markets in Europe, Asia, etc.  This is just the  US market changes.  Trucks, CUVs, SUVs and the Mustang for the US. 

Edited by Rob Hall

14 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Where did you guys read this? Seeing at how well the Fusion sells, I'd be surprised to see that go away. And the Taurus may stick around, purely because of the Interceptor sedan. Having said that, ALL police departments around here are running the Interceptor SUV, so maybe that one could die. 

Interesting.

Jalopnik has an article, also saw it on several Facebook car pages. 

C     This isn't the first time Ford has made radical decisions about their product line. They did this a few years ago (2012) with the Ranger - handing that busy market to Toyota and Nissan. (GM and Dodge stopped selling midsize trucks before that).

This is how Domestic Automakers keep getting into financial problems over and over again, they keep shortsightedly chasing the big profits now and don't invest in future trends.

Do you think the Mustang would have ever been conceived if the bean counters had been there to say "Nah, there's no market for a small sporty car". Or how about the Edsel when they said that the public needed yet ANOTHER big semi-luxury car.

I guess corporate figures the taxpayers will bail them out once again if they fail.

4 minutes ago, TomZ said:

I seem to remember reading that Ford's bean counters tried for years to kill the Mustang but they just kept right on selling so well . . .

the probe was supposed to be the mustang, but fans flipped because it was a mazda based front wheel drive. it was mustang fans that kept it going as what it is. ford ended up keeping the probe and naming it the probe, and they carried the prior design of the mustang

Hmmmmm...I'd really be surprised if they pulled the plug on all those lines.

But...GM has let it be known they're not really interested in selling cars in the not-too-distant future. Apparently they'd rather provide driverless "transportation-on-demand" modules to a totally tech-dependent, safety-obsessed, physically inept, testosterone-free futureworld.

Glad I'll be elsewhere.

57 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Interesting.

The news must be stuck at the border trying to get across to you:lol:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/ford-stop-selling-most-cars-235400380.html

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/edmunds-muscle-cars-pack-punch-101136788.html

https://jalopnik.com/ford-will-phase-out-all-its-small-cars-in-north-america-1825544784

http://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-cutting-car-lineup-two-vehicles-north-america/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a20066196/ford-killing-focus-fiesta-north-america-2022/

Edited by martinfan5

21 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Apparently they'd rather provide driverless "transportation-on-demand" modules to a totally tech-dependent, safety-obsessed, physically inept, testosterone-free futureworld.

Glad I'll be elsewhere.

Hi,

This is why I am contemplating ditching high fat, low carb, low sugar, high testosterone encouraging diet for Crispy Creme.

Not sure I understand the logic of longevity any more.

All hale cheese cake!!!

1 hour ago, ranma said:

Mustang and Focus active will be the only cars ford will be selling in the U.S. So long to To Fiesta, Taurus,fusion, and C-Max  as they are getting fazed out.

We probably needn't worry about them completely eliminating their product lines, it says they're being "phased out" not dropped. They'll more than likely be doing similar size cars, but with new names. Besides, it's their own fault those cars aren't selling well - they all look the same! Park them side by side and you can't tell one grille from another.

I've heard of brand identification, but these muzzles all look like they came frome the same cookie cutter. No creativity at all.

I've loved my share of Fords over the years, but the last one I drove, a brand new rental Fiesta (in 2015), felt unnecessarily heavy, rode like an old truck, and didn't handle particularly well. Of course, it had all kinds of useless "tech" bells and whistles that have absolutely NOTHING to do with actual driving.

My friend's 2005 Neon with 120,000 miles on the clock is a MUCH more fun car to drive. It's quick, nimble, and feels like a light sports car.

3 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

This is just the  US market changes.  Trucks, CUVs, SUVs and the Mustang for the US. 

And where will they be when the next gas crisis hits (and it will...)

This is what doomed them in the 70s, the 90s and again in 2008. When will they EVER learn?

9 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

And where will they be when the next gas crisis hits (and it will...)

This is what doomed them in the 70s, the 90s and again in 2008. When will they EVER learn?

Well 10 years ago Ford didn't make a F-150 with a 325HP 2.7 V-6 backed by a 10 speed transmission that gets 25+MPG.  You actually have to hunt around and ask to get a V-8 F-150 these days, since there's also the 3.5 Turbo V-6 as an engine option before the 5.0 V-8.  All the SUVs and crossovers are using 4cyl or some form of the EcoBoost V-6. Even the Expedition only comes with the Twin-Turbo 6cyl.

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Interesting.

By and large police departments hate the Taurus, it's a smaller platform than the CVPI, and for the same money they can get the Explorer that will hold all of their gear and has more interior space to boot.  GM is no longer selling sedan based police vehicles anymore with the Tahoe being the only pursuit rated option.

1 hour ago, slusher said:

Dodge has already dropped the Dart and Chrysler 200.

I felt that was stupid at the time too, filling up today and seeing Regular at $2.95/gal reminded me of that.  Luckily, I live less than 4mi from work now and my 200 doesn't gave to use gasoline and was able to top off with E85 at $2.17/gal. Just happy I don't have to run Premium, same Speedway with the above pricing was also selling 93 for $3.65/gal and diesel for $2.89/gal.

6 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

By and large police departments hate the Taurus, it's a smaller platform than the CVPI, and for the same money they can get the Explorer that will hold all of their gear and has more interior space to boot.  GM is no longer selling sedan based police vehicles anymore with the Tahoe being the only pursuit rated option.

Taurus sales are down 29% year to date,  only 2500 in March.   It it's a pretty old platform, so no surprise it's getting cancelled.  GM is planning to kill the Impala soon also, I've read.