Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford to Only sell two cars other than their pickup's/suv

1 hour ago, Spex84 said:

I do sometimes wonder how much of the "work" that people cite when they're explaining why they need trucks...is hauling their toys (ATVs, boats, RVs, snowmobiles, etc). 

How do the very wealthy in Europe haul their toys? Do people have different priorities, different or fewer motorized toys? Does high urban density and tightly-controlled land use drive down the opportunities to employ such toys, and therefore drive down the demand for large civilian vehicles?

I remember watching a Top Gear episode a while ago and I think they had a Ford F-150 on the roads of England.  The thing was just flat worthless because of the narrow roads and confined spaces.  I am sure the results in Asia would be the same.  They have much smaller and narrower utility vehicles more like the Ford Transit vans.  Also, it seems as if the DIY market there is much different.  Not so much hauling of larger loads.  Also people can make a living hauling small loads in small fuel efficient vehicles.  It is a different world.

This is why I want a small truck and I do me small.  Something like I had in my two small 70's Toyotas.  It is not my daily driver.  Just something to haul an occasional sheet of plywood, some 2X4s and bag or two of dirt.  Nobody makes/imports anything like that anymore.  I had occasion to rent a Toyota Tacoma a month or so ago and the thing is a full size truck and then some.  I wouldn't fit in my garage!  I guess I am going to have to go look for an old truck instead of new.  

Back in my younger years I had an 81Ford Courier and an 86 Mazda B2000. Both were great little trucks and all I needed for what I do around the house here. Would not be able to justify driving around in a full size truck for all the times I would need it.

I think my needs would be served by a much smaller truck than is currently available on the market, like an 80s-90s Toyota. Even the newer Tacomas are enormous.  Of course, someone will say "but you can't do 80mph loaded with that!!".  Maybe that's part of the problem...needing to have our cake and eat it too.

overloaded-pickup-badou-togo-west-africa-ACMJ2D.jpg

On 5/2/2018 at 3:23 PM, Spex84 said:

I think my needs would be served by a much smaller truck than is currently available on the market, like an 80s-90s Toyota. Even the newer Tacomas are enormous.  Of course, someone will say "but you can't do 80mph loaded with that!!".  Maybe that's part of the problem...needing to have our cake and eat it too.

Except when a person is using a truck that is not up to the job, it is flat out dangerous.  My wife and I were on vacation a couple of years ago and were leaving Arches National Park.  We were behind a late model Tacoma and the driver was pulling a travel trailer.  The speed limit on the highway was about 65 - 70 mph.  When this person started to approach the speed limit, we could see daylight between his front tires and the road.  It was a two lane highway that had passing zones every 5 miles or so.  When we hit one of those passing zones, I could not get away from that truck fast enough.

1 hour ago, Jim N said:

Except when a person is using a truck that is not up to the job, it is flat out dangerous.  My wife and I were on vacation a couple of years ago and were leaving Arches National Park.  We were behind a late model Tacoma and the driver was pulling a travel trailer.  The speed limit on the highway was about 65 - 70 mph.  When this person started to approach the speed limit, we could see daylight between his front tires and the road.  It was a two lane highway that had passing zones every 5 miles or so.  When we hit one of those passing zones, I could not get away from that truck fast enough.

Your right it is dangerous to overload a truck, but the case you are talking about is more about miss loading a truck.  Every truck has a "hitch" weight and exceeding that will cause the problem you mentioned.  This is a stupid owner not the wrong truck.