Model Cars Magazine Forum

-+- TULIO ! 1959 Fairlane 500 Sedan -+-

This beauty is a customer's client's car : 

1959 Fairlane 500 four door sedan 

332 Y-Block , FX Auto 

I love its 1956-1962 licence plates ; further , the "S" on the plates is likely correct-to-the-year-of-the-vehicle , even though the car originally hails from Arkansas .

Enjoy !

1959+Fairlane+500+003.jpg

1959+Fairlane+500+001.jpg

1959+Fairlane+500+002.jpg

• 1972coronet changed the title to -+- TULIO ! 1959 Fairlane 500 Sedan -+-
9 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Beautiful car, pictures would have been better if Richard Simmons wasn't there. ???

He's no Richard Simmons --- I call him the "Beach Boys' Roadie" . As one whose hair is a shadow of its former self , I must say that I envy that dude's hair ! :lol:

Just now, 1972coronet said:

Sounds as sweet as it looks , too .  I love the '58-'59 Fords !

There is one in red and white here in Florianópolis, a original car with no restoration whatsoever. Not a shiny, but every time I see it, I drool all over it... It also has my favorite engine, the 292 Y-Block. 

2 minutes ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

There is one in red and white here in Florianópolis, a original car with no restoration whatsoever. Not a shiny, but every time I see it, I drool all over it... It also has my favorite engine, the 292 Y-Block. 

This one had the 332 (?) Y-Block . Seems like that series did not last long as an option , at least here in the U.S.  ; the FE-Series replaced it by 1960 here .

The FX was a 2-speed , right ? 

13 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

This one had the 332 (?) Y-Block . Seems like that series did not last long as an option , at least here in the U.S.  ; the FE-Series replaced it by 1960 here .

I think that the 332 cu.in. engine was the start of the FE series engine. The FE was offered in 352 cu.in., 390 cu.in. and 427 cu.in. There were some other displacements offered in the Edsel and Mercury lines. Very clean well cared for Ford. If this owner keeps this car serviced and cares for it as in the past he should be able to enjoy it for many more years.  

11 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

The 332 is a FE series engine. Brother to the 352, 390, 427, etc. 

Some old school guys call it a Y-Block as it's also a deep skirted block, but is a different engine family. 

The Y Block is the second better sounding V8 ever (On my opinion, of course) only surpassed by the Flathead V8. 

If automatic, this one would have the Cruise-O-Matic three speed. The FX and MX were more internal designations. 

32 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

The two speed transmission you are thinking about, is the 1959 and newer Ford-o-matic, that was in fact a derivative from the Cruise-O-Matic. The older Ford-O-Matic transmissions had 3 speeds, but the car would start in second, then shift to third. You could select the first by shifting into L (or by flooring the car at takoff) 

On Ford badged cars the Y Block started life in 1954, as a 239, the same size of the 1953 Flathead V8. The engine grew to 272, then 292 with the brand new personal luxury car, the Thunderbird, and to 312 by 1956. In 1957 the 312 F code was the hot ticket, but with the new FE and MEL engines, the Y Block was left as a base V8 for 1958 (292). 1961 was the last year for her in the U.S. 

In resume:

The FX and MX are 3 speed transmissions. 

49 minutes ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

The two speed transmission you are thinking about, is the 1959 and newer Ford-o-matic, that was in fact a derivative from the Cruise-O-Matic. The older Ford-O-Matic transmissions had 3 speeds, but the car would start in second, then shift to third. You could select the first by shifting into L (or by flooring the car at takoff) 

On Ford badged cars the Y Block started life in 1954, as a 239, the same size of the 1953 Flathead V8. The engine grew to 272, then 292 with the brand new personal luxury car, the Thunderbird, and to 312 by 1956. In 1957 the 312 F code was the hot ticket, but with the new FE and MEL engines, the Y Block was left as a base V8 for 1958 (292). 1961 was the last year for her in the U.S. 

In resume:

The FX and MX are 3 speed transmissions. 

That's right : Ford-O-Matic ... that nomenclature escaped me for some reason . A friend had a 1958 Ranchero ; it had the 312 / Ford-O-Matic .

Thanks for the additional info , my good man !

01july2017_Oliver_chair.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:57 PM, 1972coronet said:

That's right : Ford-O-Matic ... that nomenclature escaped me for some reason . A friend had a 1958 Ranchero ; it had the 312 / Ford-O-Matic .

Thanks for the additional info , my good man !

01july2017_Oliver_chair.jpg

Your friends '58 Ranchero, neat vehicle by the way, would of had a 292 C.U.I.N. engine when new as the 312 was discontinued after the '57 model run. Now it could be that he or someone else put a 312 in the Ranchero since it would replace a 292 with no modifications needed.  

6 hours ago, espo said:

Your friends '58 Ranchero, neat vehicle by the way, would of had a 292 C.U.I.N. engine when new as the 312 was discontinued after the '57 model run. Now it could be that he or someone else put a 312 in the Ranchero since it would replace a 292 with no modifications needed.  

That Ranchero certainly was modified --- an early 60's custom , done-up quite tastefully (wish that I had a photo or two of that bad boy) . Its induction setup was three 1 Bbl Strombergs , IIRC ... definitely had three carburetors atop its intake .