Model Cars Magazine Forum

No sense calling it a WIP since it is almost complete. Arm bits are drying and awaiting further refinement. Great kit overall and seems to impress hobbyists and non alike. Very imposing when looked at in person. No enamels on this 100% Acrylic paint. The base will get the royal treatment with bits of grass possibly. Lots of airbrush work that is certain.

Moebius certainly know how to pick a subject.

DSCN0720.JPG

DSCN0721.JPG

Mr. Frazetta's work and especially the Death Dealer are iconic. People bought the Molly Hatchet records just for the album covers. I'm looking forward to seeing this completed. You'll have to come up with a dark backdrop and light it from above and behind the camera to really get some good moody pics.

I agree. Once complete a little set up will be required to get the eerie look of the painting. I've had the pleasure of seeing the real painting up close and although it was quite a few years ago i remember it being surreal. As many times as I've seen the image nothing beats seeing something in the flesh. I recommend the Frazetta museum highly to those who admire art of any kind and fantasy art in particular. Since he is the father of all fantasy art.

I have quite a few touch ups and ground work but I'll have it finished before the weekend is out. Perhaps I'll have the moody pics that an image like this truly deserves.

Nearly complete. The reds on the ax are drying and the sword got a coat of oil to make it pop and is also drying. Tomorrow it will be complete and ready for some lighting if I can find a spot and lighting to make it eerie enough. For now this shot will do.

A great kit from Moebius.

DSCN0729.JPG

I too have those Blazing Combat mags in my vast collection. They are a pretty penny these days especially the #1. High grade examples are well into the 500 or more mark.

Look at those covers will ya! Mood, movement and a true sense of capturing a moment in time. These are prime examples of why Frazetta, Wrightson, Jeffery Jones, Mike Kaluta, Mike Ploog and a great many others are head and shoulders above mere mortals by being able to tell a story with a single image.

Totally agree, Bob....it all fascinated me as a kid.  I think I still build models to keep me in my youth now....after 50 some years, I finally completed my Civil War News card collection. Back in the day, we did not collect for investments like now....most of my cards are graded K for kid use!....(still wish I had my 69 z/28 I bought new, though...lol)...often thought the cards would make ideal subjects for resin models....maybe I can start a movement!.....

0302aeaae6af7a7d3d550a59c097a819.jpg

1962-CWN-3.jpg

de674962473914e4983cd71697789fa2.jpg

Those are pretty heavy for kids. These days those certainly wouldn't fly. Gotta protect eyes from anything real or a bit disturbing. But back then we could handle things for what they were. It kept us from repeating them in case anyone cares to consider it all. Snowflakes these days cannot handle even the smallest diversity except what they deem acceptable. OK, rant over.

On 4/27/2018 at 10:32 AM, Dragline said:

Look at those covers will ya! Mood, movement and a true sense of capturing a moment in time. These are prime examples of why Frazetta, Wrightson, Jeffery Jones, Mike Kaluta, Mike Ploog and a great many others are head and shoulders above mere mortals by being able to tell a story with a single image.

Michael Whelan is my all time favorite in that regard.

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 4:21 PM, Dragline said:

Those are pretty heavy for kids. These days those certainly wouldn't fly. Gotta protect eyes from anything real or a bit disturbing. But back then we could handle things for what they were. It kept us from repeating them in case anyone cares to consider it all. Snowflakes these days cannot handle even the smallest diversity except what they deem acceptable. OK, rant over.

back in my day we played with METAL toy trucks, some weighing up to 10 pounds....same company makes the out of plastic now with soft edges, next they will offer teddy bears & comfort dogs with them.....:D