Model Cars Magazine Forum

BJ & the Bear XXL Project Complete

I could probably add details and tweak it until the end of time but I've pushed this one across the finish line. My parts came back from Chrome Tech the other day...only fitting since I bought the Moebius trailer from them. In addition to the trailer tool box, I had the reefer tank and vents chromed, as well as the rear bumper/tail light piece. I replaced the kit air intake hats (which didn't clear the top of the sleeper) with a set of Jamie's ram air intakes which were also chromed by Chrome Tech. The whole thing is 39"-long, and I've certainly had models hat were easier to photograph! :lol: After a couple of COEs I think it's time to move onto something more "conventional".

20180426_122725.jpg

20180426_122832.jpg

20180426_122923.jpg

20180426_123026.jpg

20180426_123127.jpg

20180426_123148.jpg

20180426_123158.jpg

20180426_123526.jpg

Edited by Mike77

I have a question for anyone who is a lot more informed than me on this kind of rig.  With the exhaust stacks that far away from the engine won't there be a significant amount of back pressure on it?  Just wondering.   And it is not a criticism of the build at all!  It is well done for sure!

Looking at it I'm wondering if I shouldn't pop the reefer unit off and paint the bottom half white to match the rest of the paint scheme. Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in! :lol:

JT, good to hear from you man! This place has been missing it's orange, can you help? :D

I have some big sleeper projects in mind but I was wondering if I should plan for a window or two in the sleeper? It seems that some big sleepers have them and some don’t. I understand windows are not necessary, and there isn’t much to look at at a truckstop, and drivers are not looking at the scenery when trying to get peace and quiet, privacy, and sleep. Any thoughts?

On 5/1/2018 at 4:43 PM, Mike77 said:

Looking at it I'm wondering if I shouldn't pop the reefer unit off and paint the bottom half white to match the rest of the paint scheme. Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in! :lol:

JT, good to hear from you man! This place has been missing it's orange, can you help? :D

Yeah, maybe I’d paint it to match, but it still looks awesome as is. I wouldn’t have noticed it as a problem. And yes, we could use some more “JT Orange” around here. I think that is an actual shade of orange. Not sure of the paint code, though.

18 hours ago, vincen47 said:

I have some big sleeper projects in mind but I was wondering if I should plan for a window or two in the sleeper? It seems that some big sleepers have them and some don’t. I understand windows are not necessary, and there isn’t much to look at at a truckstop, and drivers are not looking at the scenery when trying to get peace and quiet, privacy, and sleep. Any thoughts?

Yeah, maybe I’d paint it to match, but it still looks awesome as is. I wouldn’t have noticed it as a problem. And yes, we could use some more “JT Orange” around here. I think that is an actual shade of orange. Not sure of the paint code, though.

I considered windows but I had the same thoughts...most drivers probably want privacy. Another consideration for me on this particular model is that windows would interrupt the paint lines.

I think we should petition PPG, Duplicolor, etc., to offer JT Orange as an official paint color. The paint code would have to be something in the 77379-77389 range!:lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:59 PM, iamsuperdan said:

That turned out amazing. Nicely done.

Could you imagine having to drive that rig in the real world?

We actually get some rigs up here at work that are pretty long like that, but they are conventionals. Southern pride is the trucking company. http://sptnet.com/ 

Mike77,

that is one amazing truck.

Edited by dustym

• 10 months later...