[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Super28

Spark plug wire in bulk

I need to know where I can buy wire in bulk,used for spark plugs on a 1/24-1 /25 models? What gauge, and or name of it? Tired of spending $5.00 for 3 feet. It's smaller than 24gauge.

You can get 50 to 100 ft for 5 bucks, unless it went up. Go to Wal Mart or any hobby shop Radios Shack type store or place that sells phones. Get OUTDOOR phone line. Indoor phone line is stranded copper wire and it wont hold when bent into position. Get outdoor phone line, it is solid strand copper and holds position when bent. It's gray on the outside, but slice it open and you have black, red, green, yellow, blue, and white wire inside. Perfect for plug wires and other such wires.  The yellow in my role is real pale. I use it to mimic clear hose that turns that yellowish color with age. I run it from the radiator caps to a catch can or just down the side of the rad. I have not found a use for white and green unless you are wiring up maybe an MSD box. Ive used all the other colors for plug wires and grounds and fuel line and brake lines and starter wires, you name it.

For 1/24 - 1/25 wire for PLUG WIRES, you want something close to .013" outside diameter for older ('60s-'70's) STOCK wires, and something around .016" for HIGH PERFORMANCE stuff (or late-model stock wires).

Many disagree, but I believe SCALE LOOKS BEST in this and any other application, and fatter wires ruin the look of an engine bay.

Plug wires on REAL cars DO NOT look like garden hose or long sausages.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

20 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

For 1/24 - 1/25 wire for PLUG WIRES, you want something close to .013" outside diameter for older ('60s-'70's) STOCK wires, and something around .016" for HIGH PERFORMANCE stuff (or late-model stock wires).

Many disagree, but I believe SCALE LOOKS BEST in this and any other application, and fatter wires ruin the look of an engine bay.

Plug wires on REAL cars DO NOT look like garden hose or long sausages.

Yes and the wires on the engine from the distributor to the plugs should not look like a "scared spider" I glue mine in place and let the glue dry/cure and the next day I put a droop/sag into them so they look like real wires laying in place.

Not sure if you can see them in these pics, but that is all phone wire.

12512353_1714177252129057_3862883518624941642_n.jpg

12800237_1714177288795720_5758818025610229279_n.jpg

000_0014.JPG

IT's hard to see, but in the first pic you can see a red wire going to the starter, the plug wires and coil wires. There is a wire under the plug wires going to the hot side of the coil and one going to the dist. since this is a points dist. Last pic, I can't see them, but the fuel line and red and black battery cable can be seen through the rear fender.

2 hours ago, dwc43 said:

You can get 50 to 100 ft for 5 bucks, unless it went up. Go to Wal Mart or any hobby shop Radios Shack type store or place that sells phones. Get OUTDOOR phone line. Indoor phone line is stranded copper wire and it wont hold when bent into position. Get outdoor phone line, it is solid strand copper and holds position when bent. It's gray on the outside, but slice it open and you have black, red, green, yellow, blue, and white wire inside. Perfect for plug wires and other such wires.  The yellow in my role is real pale. I use it to mimic clear hose that turns that yellowish color with age. I run it from the radiator caps to a catch can or just down the side of the rad. I have not found a use for white and green unless you are wiring up maybe an MSD box. Ive used all the other colors for plug wires and grounds and fuel line and brake lines and starter wires, you name it.

Thank you DMC43

2 hours ago, Super28 said:

Thank you DMC43

Welcome, anytime.

Years ago I bought a 500 ft roll of wire off Ebay, It is black and looks just like the stuff you pay $5.00 for three feet of. IIRC I only paid $20.00 for this stuff, I think they called it wrapping wire. It seems that I have the 30 gauge stuff, I would have to look. I will never use 500 feet.LOL  I just searched wrapping wire on Ebay and all sorts of wire came up.

Edited by ScaleSpeedShop

To the Original Poster... I used to buy 30 Guage Solid core wire for my spark plug wire for 1/24-1/25 builds

21 hours ago, High octane said:

Yes and the wires on the engine from the distributor to the plugs should not look like a "scared spider"

:lol::lol::lol:

16 hours ago, ScaleSpeedShop said:

Years ago I bought a 500 ft roll of wire off Ebay, It is black and looks just like the stuff you pay $5.00 for three feet of. IIRC I only paid $20.00 for this stuff, I think they called it wrapping wire. It seems that I have the 30 gauge stuff, I would have to look. I will never use 500 feet.LOL  I just searched wrapping wire on Ebay and all sorts of wire came up.

I believe what you got is called "Kynar wire". I got sort of the same thing a couple years ago from the 'Bay, and at the rate I build, I don't think I'll ever have to buy wire again! :lol:

I have found a nice stash of wire myself trying to get more for the money in bulk. These places selling it for $5 for 3ft got it this way an just repackage it, the catch is finding out where it comes from. I have bought more wire from a place called tcsdcc.com where you can also get micro heat shrink to use for plug boot material. I took some pictures against an engine on my bench in hopes to help reference the sizes. The goal wire gauge for standard plug wire, in my opinion, would be 34awg. The place I linked didn't have but look to the train hobby for other suppliers with insulated 34awg wire. I am not a fan of this Kynar wire people keep recommending, I believe I have some an took a picture of it. The wire is very rigid an the insulation is shiny, not at all realistic in my opinion.

20180428_084558.jpg

20180428_085012.jpg

20180428_085148.jpg

20180428_085447.jpg

20180428_085707.jpg

20180428_085926.jpg

11 hours ago, ScottH454 said:

I have found a nice stash of wire myself trying to get more for the money in bulk. These places selling it for $5 for 3ft got it this way an just repackage it, the catch is finding out where it comes from. I have bought more wire from a place called tcsdcc.com where you can also get micro heat shrink to use for plug boot material. I took some pictures against an engine on my bench in hopes to help reference the sizes. The goal wire gauge for standard plug wire, in my opinion, would be 34awg. The place I linked didn't have but look to the train hobby for other suppliers with insulated 34awg wire. I am not a fan of this Kynar wire people keep recommending, I believe I have some an took a picture of it. The wire is very rigid an the insulation is shiny, not at all realistic in my opinion.

WOW, just went to the site ya posted, theres no way 10' 30 gauge for 2.95, thats insane, btu I'm gonna order anyway, thanx for the heads up, yeah I use 30 gauge..

Edited by Gothicz House Of Kustomz

I used to us Radioshack's wrapping wire, it is 30 gauge and perfect for the job, the outside diameter is 0,5mm. But since Radioshack only had/have 3 colors, I went looking online and found on ebay 30 gauge wrapping wire. I ended up with a lot of colors, 1000ft! for 7 dollars, including shipping!  One roll is pretty much a life long supply

Edited by The Creative Explorer

I agree 34g is the size I need for ignition wire on 1:24 / 5 cars, but where to get it ...?

Still searching.....

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:26 PM, ScottH454 said:

20180428_084558.jpg

20180428_085012.jpg

20180428_085148.jpg

20180428_085447.jpg

20180428_085707.jpg

20180428_085926.jpg

Thank you very much!

Just curious, what would 24 gauge wire be useful for in 1/24 or 1/25th scale? I have this big 500 foot spool of cross connect wire my brother gave me. I stripped one end so you can see the bare solid core compared to the wired covering. Quarter next to it for visual of size. Not sure what would look in scale with this wire I have. There's plenty than what I'll need it for. 

IMG-20180503-05157.jpg

IMG-20180503-05158.jpg

The problem is, identifying model plumbing and wiring by  'wire gauge designation' is really pointless, unless it is the inner copper core you are referring to. The gauge refers to the cross sectional area of the core (or combined cross sectional area of multiple core strands), but as model builders it is usually the diameter of the wire casing or insulation that matters. The same gauge of wire can have different thicknesses of insulation, making the wire gauge designation pointless. One must measure the overall diameter accurately in thousands of an inch or hundredths of a mm to determine it's actual size. Only then can you determine what the wire might be useful for as a model component. Multiplying your measurement by the scale will give you the actual size in 1:1.

That makes sense with the wire gauge designation being pointless. Right now I don't have a way to measure the proper diameter of the wire with no calipers on hand. I'll have to pick some up and see what this wire comes out to. One thing is for sure, 500 feet of this stuff, I don't think Ill run out! 

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:51 AM, MrObsessive said:

I believe what you got is called "Kynar wire". I got sort of the same thing a couple years ago from the 'Bay, and at the rate I build, I don't think I'll ever have to buy wire again! :lol:

That's exactly what it is, thanks for jogging my memory.