Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC White Lightning

On 7/21/2023 at 9:04 PM, PintoKING said:

1/20 1969 Ford van?

Now that would be nice ! Bring back the stock version options ! 

Insofar as the 1971-1977 B-Van : the earlier the better (e.g., 1971-1974). The stock wheel covers from the original annuals would be awesome ! 

Then there's the G-Series Chevy Van -- sidelight ( colloq. side "windows" ) option , s'il vous plait ! Maybe even a set of correct-for-G30 6 or 8 lug wheels with revised hubcaps.

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Now that would be nice ! Bring back the stock version options ! 

Insofar as the 1971-1977 B-Van : the earlier the better (e.g., 1971-1974). The stock wheel covers from the original annuals would be awesome ! 

Then there's the G-Series Chevy Van -- sidelight ( colloq. side "windows" ) option , s'il vous plait ! Maybe even a set of correct-for-G30 6 or 8 lug wheels with revised hubcaps.

Nope for the chevy van; as he said MPC, and not AMT. However, there was also the MPC Ford van 4x4, short-wheelbase, with opening side door.

But I fully agrees; the AMT "Open Road" Chevy van camper would be AWESOME to get reissued!

I'd also say the "Little Red Express" Dodge truck, but that one was last available about 20 years ago, and he (Steve G) said last available in the late '70s.

HOWEVER, there was also the "WARLOCK" Dodge stepside pickup, last available in the late "70s.....

Time will tell.  🙂

• Like 1

I was thinking the '79 El Camino, which could be reissued as the original kit, a Royal Knight.  It could also be made as an SS or base model, include both buckets and bench seat, and different wheel options.  Create the '78 grille and do the Black Knight, SS, or base model.   The '80 Caballero Diablo was also kitted by MPC.  The Caballero Amarillo and El Camino Conquista would be more challenging to do since these combined two colors with heavy body moldings separating the colors.  How about it, @SteveG

31 minutes ago, Motor City said:

I was thinking the '79 El Camino, which could be reissued as the original kit, a Royal Knight.  It could also be made as an SS or base model, include both buckets and bench seat, and different wheel options.  Create the '78 grille and do the Black Knight, SS, or base model.   The '80 Caballero Diablo was also kitted by MPC.  The Caballero Amarillo and El Camino Conquista would be more challenging to do since these combined two colors with heavy body moldings separating the colors.  How about it, @SteveG

Jim I'm a fan of the anything El Camino or related, and Ranchero's too.   A lot depends on what's left of the early tooling for those.  Just one of many good ideas I need to look into.  

-Steve

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Motor City said:

I'm a fan of the last gen facelifted El-Camino's, IIRC the Mpc kit versions weren't stock, so a faux annual would be great if considered, especially when having clear instead of molded-in headlamps.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what's curently cooking in the Kat's kitchen.

7 hours ago, SteveG said:

Jim I'm a fan of the anything El Camino or related, and Ranchero's too.   A lot depends on what's left of the early tooling for those.  Just one of many good ideas I need to look into.  

-Steve

I would love to see a chevette or a 76 Pinto..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

I'm a fan of the last gen facelifted El-Camino's, IIRC the Mpc kit versions weren't stock, so a faux annual would be great if considered, especially when having clear instead of molded-in headlamps.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what's curently cooking in the Kat's kitchen.

Luc,

MPC made annual kits of the '79-'82 El Camino and '80 GMC Caballero.  All of these could be built stock.  

MPC’s ’78-’87 El Camino Kits — The Sprue

Here is the '87 I ordered new and still own.

img748 (4).jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Motor City said:

Luc,

MPC made annual kits of the '79-'82 El Camino and '80 GMC Caballero.  All of these could be built stock. 

I have the '82? red light bandit and you'll have to take the wheels and tires from the Ertl issued SS version to make it stock.

image.png.77d162140213c0ea6e1bbe098bd6edc8.png

Edited by Luc Janssens
Added photo
  • Like 1

Hi Luc,

I think I am wrong.   I bought the '82 promo when it came out and saw no need to also buy the kit.  After I had my El Camino, I eventually bought the '82 kit you pictured.  My plan was to build my '87 in miniature by combining the wheels and interior from the '86 El Camino SS with the '82 kit.  I could have sworn I saw an '82 El Camino kit that could be built stock at a toy store back then and apologize for the confusion.

Here's what I know:

'79-'82 El Camino promo

'79 El Camino Royal Knight kit

'80 GMC Caballero El Diablo kit

'81 El Camino Night Moves kit

'81 El Camino Branding Iron kit

'82 El Camino Red Light Bandit kit

'82 El Camino Monster Truck kit

The '86 El Camino SS came out decades later.

Did I miss any of the MPC kits?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Motor City said:

Hi Luc,

I think I am wrong.   I bought the '82 promo when it came out and saw no need to also buy the kit.  After I had my El Camino, I eventually bought the '82 kit you pictured.  My plan was to build my '87 in miniature by combining the wheels and interior from the '86 El Camino SS with the '82 kit.  I could have sworn I saw an '82 El Camino kit that could be built stock at a toy store.

No problemo, the older we get the more often it will happen LOL

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...