Model Cars Magazine Forum

MARMON coe 86" cab

Started this model in the new year after collecting the Revell Marmon/Peterbilt kit and parts from KFS when on our hols to Britain.

Got off to a bad start after setting fire to the front end of the chassis while trying to remove some unwanted detail from the rear end with a hot knife ( won't do that again) luckily I hadn't ordered the cab and other parts required from AITM so was able to order some front springs with the cab kit. I ordered a cummins  903t to replace the straight 6 but it looks small compared to the cummins 400, I will have all summer to decide as I probably won't get chance to work on it again until the end of summer now, its probably going to be a long job as there will be quite a lot of detailing to do on the inside and out side of the cab, should keep me out of mischief for quite a while.

I will put some clearer photo's on when I get a minute.  

SAM_3681.JPG

SAM_3679.JPG

SAM_3676.JPG

SAM_3677.JPG

• 7 months later...

Well at last, after a six month break working on the house, I have got the MARMON back in to the workshop. Before the long break I was trying to decide which engine to use, the one with the kit or the resin 905t, after finding out which engine it was with the kit I have decided to use that one, I will do a little more detailing to it but I am not going to put every pipe and cable on it as the cab won't tilt anyway, although I have made the cab tilting ram as I think it could be seen under the wheel arch. 

Although previously I said I was going to use the resin cab from AITM as I had paid quite a lot to ship it here and being a Yorkshire man we are known to be a bit tight where money is concerned ( tight as a ducks bum) after weighing up all the work involved straightening things out and redoing all the rivets I have decided to go down the same route as Hermann with his MARMON top sleeper and scratch build the cab in plastic card. This should make the riveting much simpler to do as it will be plastic to plastic, and after having had a battle with the windscreen surrounds on the Atkinson ( resin cab ) this too should be easy'r , (I just know I am going to regret saying that later on) anyway I have made a little more progress from the last photo's I posted back in May so here are a few more recent ones showing diesel tanks, battery box etc fitted, I will be changing the wheels to full resin six spoke trilex soon, they have already arrived at our friends in Britain, (I only ordered them last week from M & G Mouldings) excellent service and really top quality castings I have to say, the photo's also show the bottom part of the cab started.     

Hi Chris, thanks, don't hold your breath it could be quite a while yet, I was hoping to get some primer on the chassis before xmas but that is looking like it's not going to happen now and we are away for 2 weeks for the hols.

Hi Sergey, I had to go and have a look at it as it is so long since I made that part, I used the resin bumper that came with the cab kit as a backing, as it was already rounded at the ends I just covered it with 1mm plastic on the top and bottom and then covered the front with .50 and bent it around the ends, the 1mm on the top and bottom meant I could get a good fix with the plastic weld, the bumper, grill and air con unit on the roof will probably be the only parts I will use from the kit and possibly part of the dash and seats inside. 

The interior of your Peterbilt looks great, the dashboard is excellent, the dials are superb, fantastic detail.

• 1 month later...

Well, finally finished the chassis ( I think ) sure I will find something I have missed later. Done some plumbing, mainly where you might be able to see the engine through the wheel arches, made a new coupling for the steering shaft and a cab tilt ram as you will probably be able to see these under the cab too.

The engine is the wrong colour at the moment but I have got the right shade now so maybe this weekend I might get round to trying out my new spray gun and with a bit of look I might get some primer on the chassis as well. 

Next job is the cab, its going to feel like starting a complete new project, looking forward to the change, maybe I will get it finished this year? 

A few photo's of progress up to now.

SAM_3942.JPG

SAM_3944.JPG

SAM_3946.JPG

SAM_3948.JPG

Chassis primed at last, this will be the finished colour for the rails, tanks etc with maybe a fine coat of satin clear just to fix it after some weathering. The exhaust/air intake frame will be blue along with some blue on the cab so I will have to leave that until the cab is ready to spray and do it all in the same session, this means I can't connect the exhaust and air intake to the engine ( catch 22 again ) but I will be able put the engine in place which I need to do to be able to do the dog house for the new cab. 

SAM_3950.JPG

SAM_3953.JPG

SAM_3954.JPG

SAM_3955.JPG

SAM_3956.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Work under way on the new cab, a few photo's of progress so far, lots to think about as I build as I could easily end up causing myself problems later down the line with the cab interior, having to think a few stages in front all the time, keeps you on your toes, plus I am working from only a few close up photo's from the internet, makes modeling interesting that's for sure. 

SAM_3958.JPG

SAM_3959.JPG

SAM_3960.JPG

Cab construction moving forward a little this week, a few hiccups on the way but it is starting to look like a MARMON cab now, I had to make some different cab tilt brackets and a few other minor alterations along the way but on the whole its progressing slowly . There are a couple of things that I am not happy with though but it is too late to change them now, I think I got the windscreen a little too big(tall) but I will be able to disguise this with the sun visor later, the other thing is not so easy to hide, when I decided to make a new cab I decided to make the head light recesses a bit bigger to be able to change the light's up to 7 inch light's which hasn't left enough space to round off the bottom front corners of the cab to the right profile, also I put the rivets on the front panel too close to the corners adding to the problem, maybe the bull bar and paint scheme will hide this mistake a little, anyway a few photo's of progress so far.

SAM_3962.JPG

SAM_3964.JPG

SAM_3965.JPG

SAM_3968.JPG

• 2 weeks later...