Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paul Sagehorn’s Movin' On 1974 Kenworth W925 VIT

The truck originally had torsion bar suspension...a system that's a little hard to maintain so a air ride is most likely better and needs less maintenance...and I have read that the Peterbilt Air Leaf is a smoother ride than the Kenworth Air Glide 100 and that's why many use it on KW's.

I was talking to the guy that owned the 1979 K-100 (pics in this section) and he was saying that back then guys were trying to get the Pete air ride on new KW trucks when they were ordering them from KW.  He said the KW air ride was also way more expensive.

I saw a lot of KWs at that show with this Pete air ride on them.

That show sent me straight into building nothing but trucks for quite a while. If I have one gripe these days, it's that the rig here has the newer Budd wheels instead of what was on it during the TV episodes.

5ae7e13be793a_MovinOnKW.jpg.1f662fb503038b675df9fc9c914f83b7.jpg

Edited by Russell C

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2018-05-01 at 5:34 AM, Russell C said:

That show sent me straight into building nothing but trucks for quite a while. If I have one gripe these days, it's that the rig here has the newer Budd wheels instead of what was on it during the TV episodes.

5ae7e13be793a_MovinOnKW.jpg.1f662fb503038b675df9fc9c914f83b7.jpg

It's not only the wheels that has been changed.
The last week I've gone through all 44 episodes of Movin' On Season 1 and 2 and have noticed some things worth knowing if you want to build a model of the Movin' On TV series trucks.
There were at least 4 trucks used, two 1974 model year for season 1 and two 1975 model year for season 2, all are W925 V.I.T.s and has the same paint job and markings, Paul Sagehorn's is one of the 1974 trucks from the first season like the one in your picture.

Except for the more modern wheels the rear suspension is changed on the Sagehorn truck as mentioned before, as I could see it was torsion bar on all trucks used for both seasons, the Sagehorn truck is repowered with a Cummins NTC inline 6 as the 1974 TV series trucks originally had Cummins VT903 V8's wich is clearly visible in several scenes, the battery boxes are slightly different and the hoses for the air cleaners are also different, Sagehorn has GVW.80,000 on the lower part of the doors and the TV series trucks had GVW.78,100 in the same place.
The trucks in Season 1 also had gold "bug" grille emblem and side emblems wich Sagehorn's truck doesn't have, I find this particular thing a bit confusing as I have read the gold emblems were for the 50th anniversary of Kenworth in 1973...but the trucks used in Season 1 were supposed to be 1974 models and the V.I.T. package came for the 1974 model year, and it still had gold emblems in most shots.
Some say they used a 1973 model modified to a V.I.T., in that case they have to have used that truck in almost all outside and inside shots because the gold KW "bug" emblem is clearly visible both from the outside and inside in most of the episodes and they must also have changed to a complete diamond pleat V.I.T. interior as it's the same in all episodes.
The season 1 trucks had different license plates, at least four different plate sets are used as far as I could see, most noticeable is the plate under the passenger side of the bumper, in some episodes it's a Utah plate with VL 9863 number and in others it's a Washington plate with H 34828 number, the other plates on the bumper are a Idaho plate, a "Bingo" plate, two slightly different Montana plates and three different Nevada and Oregon plates are used in different episodes, the Montana plates used has the same number but one of them has the outline of the state and the other one doesn't, the Nevada plates used has different numbers and are different colors, the Oregon plates has the same numbers but are different colors.

The season 2 1975 trucks are slightly different from the Season 1 trucks, the headliner in the Season 1 1974 trucks is beige and doesn't have any inserts but the 1975 trucks has green diamond pleat inserts with beige buttons, otherwise the interior is pretty much the same as in season 1, the front hubs are different as they are 4-3/8" window low profile Stemco oiler hubs on the 1975 trucks and the 1974 trucks has the smaller Stemco 2-3/4" window oiler hubs, the 1974 trucks has the hood side emblems inside the lower part of the lime green arrow, all emblems on the 1975 trucks are chrome and the side emblems on the hood are mounted further forward and below the lime green arrow on the 1975 trucks, the engine in the 1975 trucks are Cummins NTC inline 6 engines visible in a couple of scenes,  the gear shift lever is different, it has a black knob on the 10-speed in the 1975 trucks and a chrome knob on the 15-speed in the 1974 trucks.
The license plate arrangement looks to be the same in all scenes and episodes of Season 2, on the bumper there are Illinois, a "bingo plate" N.Y. Commercial, Georgia and Texas plates, and the plate under the bumper is a California plate, the Season 1 trucks did not have a California plate at all.

The one thing that bugs me in the season 2 episodes is that they used the sound of the crappy GMC "Cracker Box" truck (called Pig Pen) two stroke engine in almost every outside scene where trucks passes by, they even used that sound for the Pruitt Kenworth.

Hopefully someone has use of this information.

Edited by Force

• 3 weeks later...