Model Cars Magazine Forum

Desirable Reissues

GerN

19 minutes ago, keyser said:

Nobody has ever mentioned a 68 Coronet here before. Good idea. 👍🏼

65 Lincoln sedan. In tons of movies. 
Vrod dune buggy rod 

Restore Mako Shark II, Astro I, Charger III, original Mach I showcar

Meyers Tow’d, restore 65 GTO, 64 Wildcat, 66 Skylark craftsman, 87-88 Fiero GT. 
Rayson-Craft ski drag boat hull and Hull Raiser again. 

In reference to sentence one.  Requests for a re-release of the MPC 68 Coronet R/T kit was mentioned a couple of times in this very thread.  It has also been mentioned many times on other threads about kits that should be done.  This has been going on for many years.  Round 2 is starting to listen and as a result we have gotten the Chevy ll and 64 Olds Cutlass kits released.  The ball is rolling.  I bet there will be some good surprises coming from the kit manufacturers before long.

42 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

In reference to sentence one. 

sarcasm

noun

sar·casm | \ ˈsär-ˌka-zəm  \

Definition of sarcasm

1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2a: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual
b: the use or language of sarcasm

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

These are on my list.

Aurora: Jaguar XKE Roadster, Studebaker Avanti, Chaparral, Porsche 904, Ford GT

AMT: Chaparral, Elva, Lola T70, Hussein, 1965 & 1966 Corvair Corsa annuals, 1963 & 1964 Corvair annual, 1967 Mercury Cougar, 1963 & 1964 Buick Riviera, 1959 Lincoln Continental Craftsman kit, 1955 Nomad with original box art, Astro I, '65 GTO with molded in sun visors, 1966 Mustang convertible, 1963 Corvette with revolving headlights, 1964 Corvette

MPC: John Milner Dragster, 1966 Olds Toronado, original 1967/8 Hemi Under Glass, 1968 Dodge Charger, Charger III, Howmet TX

Monogram: Uncertain-T, Chaparral, Little T, Lil' Coffin, 1965 Shelby GT350 & GT350R, 1969 Pontiac GTO Judge

Revell: 1967 Camaro, 1955 Bel Air, Ford Anglia, Mickey Thompson Attempt I, Ferrari 308GTB Magnum P.I. 

I wonder if there's any realistic chance of the c.1990 C-1500 SS 454 making a comeback ?  I'd missed its first (and only) go 'round...

AMC  Matador Coupe (1975-1978) would be sweet , too . This time include headers ; tool up a brake master cylinder , too ! I'm sure that the headers from the Gremlin kits would work , but it's be nice to have them included in the Matador . Oh , and those headlights with the sink marks -- please clean that up , or "blank" them and add clear , fluted replacements .

Guys.....it is my understanding that Round 2 operatives are well aware of the continued forum(s) participants' interest in a '68 Coronet R/T kit.  As to whether that translates into a future product offering, I have no idea.  I do know that they have many other future product ideas that are also on their list, and product development budgets are limited.  So in these types of cases it is often a function of which product investment is determined to provide the most immediate and overall lifetime return on their development/tooling/production dollars (as well as is noted above, how many different kit versions of a tooling investment can be derived at minimal additional cost).   

Bottom line?  Continue to make your product ideas heard, and if the products suit your interest, buy up those newly tooled old kit redos like the 1963 Nova wagons, the 1964 Olds Cutlass convertible and 442, the IH CO cabover, and whatever other kits are soon to hit the market....   In other words, your vote with your wallet carries a lot more credibility in a boardroom discussion than just a request on a message board....  TB

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Those molds became the Sonny & Cher Mustang. I'd like to see THAT reissued--maybe even with the cool custom half-top from the '66 HT/convertible kit. 

This is purely off the top of my head, but if memory serves correctly,(and Mark or Tim will correct me if I'm wrong) the chassis and engine for the Sonny & Cher Mustangs later went under the Mach 1/ Autolite Special/Iron Horse et al, then combined with the 66 Promo body to create the 66 Coupe we have now.  But I'm with you.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Bottom line?  Continue to make your product ideas heard, and if the products suit your interest, buy up those newly tooled old kit redos like the 1963 Nova wagons, the 1964 Olds Cutlass convertible and 442, the IH CO cabover, and whatever other kits are soon to hit the market....   In other words, your vote with your wallet carries a lot more credibility in a boardroom discussion than just a request on a message board....  TB

Bingo!  How many times do we see people posting if their 1960 Skitzmobile gets kitted, they’ll buy cases of them?  

A resin caster once told me that people on the boards had pledged to buy some 50 of a kit he proposed.. when he did offer it, maybe six sold!

I haven’t been tracking the Oldsmobile, but the Nova wagon appears to be selling well!  so Buy Buy Buy People!

1 hour ago, Dave Darby said:

This is purely off the top of my head, but if memory serves correctly,(and Mark or Tim will correct me if I'm wrong) the chassis and engine for the Sonny & Cher Mustangs later went under the Mach 1/ Autolite Special/Iron Horse et al, then combined with the 66 Promo body to create the 66 Coupe we have now.  But I'm with you.

Somewhere along the line, the chassis got dual exhaust too. 

The original '66 Mustang GT had separate clear and red plastic head and taillight lenses. I don't remember if the HT/convert did too, but today those are all solid chrome parts. 

10 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I wonder if there's any realistic chance of the c.1990 C-1500 SS 454 making a comeback ?  I'd missed its first (and only) go 'round...

They actually addressed the C-1500 for the first time in the comments of their last video saying that the tooling requires significant re-works to be able to release it in factory stock form (I presume that means long bed, short bed or 454 SS) and that right now it wasn't on the slate to be financed.  But like Tim said, keep asking and buy the stuff you like they do make.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

They actually addressed the C-1500 for the first time in the comments of their last video saying that the tooling requires significant re-works to be able to release it in factory stock form (I presume that means long bed, short bed or 454 SS) and that right now it wasn't on the slate to be financed.  But like Tim said, keep asking and buy the stuff you like they do make.

Thanks much for the new-to-me info regarding the Chevy 1500 Pickup . I know that the monster truck  -- USA-1  et al. -- version , um , "compromised" the stock versions' tooling . I've never perused the monster iterations of the C 1500 , so I've nothing to compare it to .

Thanks again .

57 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Thanks much for the new-to-me info regarding the Chevy 1500 Pickup . I know that the monster truck  -- USA-1  et al. -- version , um , "compromised" the stock versions' tooling . I've never perused the monster iterations of the C 1500 , so I've nothing to compare it to .

Thanks again .

I believe they modified the long bed kit for the monster truck since the long bed version was only available in '88-'89, which is around the time the monster truck kit was introduced. However, I'm not sure what they would have done to the short bed or stepside variants to cause them to be unusable in their current state, since the stepside kit was released up into the late 90s.

On 8/29/2021 at 12:09 PM, keyser said:

65 Lincoln sedan. In tons of movies. 

I'd take a reissue of ANY '61-'68 Lincoln hardtop.  Gorgeous cars and lots of potential for conversion into limos, embassy cars etc. 

As long as I'm dreaming, I'd love to see the '64 Lincoln hardtop reissued with all its neat accessories:  a driver figure, shortwave radio, bar with clear glasses, flower vases, suitcases and other fun stuff.

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Somewhere along the line, the chassis got dual exhaust too. 

The original '66 Mustang GT had separate clear and red plastic head and taillight lenses. I don't remember if the HT/convert did too, but today those are all solid chrome parts. 

The hardtop/convertible always had chrome headlamps and the two piece chrome and red taillights. Both are continued in the current notchback kit.

I'd love to see a reissue of the '62 Ford Galaxie convertible as it's one of my holy grail kits. Not sure what the status of the molds are, maybe I wasn't looking in the right place when I did a search. Add the 1960 Ford Pickup to that list too.

And pretty much any Ford product of the 50s & 60s that hasn't been reissued in ages.

3 hours ago, Jordan White said:

I believe they modified the long bed kit for the monster truck since the long bed version was only available in '88-'89, which is around the time the monster truck kit was introduced. However, I'm not sure what they would have done to the short bed or stepside variants to cause them to be unusable in their current state, since the stepside kit was released up into the late 90s.

The chassis plate for the long bed was extensively modified for the USA-1 truck as well as the hood. The stock long bed kit will probably not see the light of day. 

What they could do in the vein of the Nova and the '64 Galaxie is start pumping out unassembled promos. They kept going right up until 1998. Tool up an additional interior tub and a new chassis plate and they could do all the different configurations of the truck from 88-98.

1 hour ago, Dave Darby said:

The hardtop/convertible always had chrome headlamps and the two piece chrome and red taillights. Both are continued in the current notchback kit.

Huh, I checked and you're right. I must have been thinking of the solid lights in the '66 fastback AWB funny. My bad! 

On 8/29/2021 at 11:00 PM, Snake45 said:

Those molds became the Sonny & Cher Mustang. I'd like to see THAT reissued--maybe even with the cool custom half-top from the '66 HT/convertible kit. 

It's no good in any reference to Sonny and Cher. Chances for Iicenses probably wouldn't pass the first hurdle.

30 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

It's no good in any reference to Sonny and Cher. Chances for Iicenses probably wouldn't pass the first hurdle.

Probably true but no reason it couldn't be issued as "California Custom Mustang" or "Hollywood Custom Mustang" or some such moniker. I wonder if the Barris estate maintains any rights to the design, though. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Probably true but no reason it couldn't be issued as "California Custom Mustang" or "Hollywood Custom Mustang" or some such moniker. I wonder if the Barris estate maintains any rights to the design, though. 

Agree. Needs to be 2 car kit too. Build both. 
Skier and Singer?

Edited by keyser

While they're all fun kits, I hope I'm not the only one for whom the most desired reissue of the Gunze Sangyo 1/24th scale sports car kits is their Lotus Elan. We have a much better 250GTO now in the Fujimi and their SWB is questionable in its proportions, but that Lotus Elan is such a little gem. 

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I agree.  They can call it something.  I doubt there would be any licensing issues.