Model Cars Magazine Forum

Desirable Reissues

GerN

On 8/30/2021 at 4:59 PM, Mike999 said:

I'd take a reissue of ANY '61-'68 Lincoln hardtop.  Gorgeous cars and lots of potential for conversion into limos, embassy cars etc. 

As long as I'm dreaming, I'd love to see the '64 Lincoln hardtop reissued with all its neat accessories:  a driver figure, shortwave radio, bar with clear glasses, flower vases, suitcases and other fun stuff.

It would be nice to be able to buy 66-69 Lincolns, spare bodies and parts to create limos

1 hour ago, Bob Ellis said:

It would be nice to be able to buy 66-69 Lincolns, spare bodies and parts to create limos

The 68 and 69 tooling is probably at Round 2.  Wouldn't be surprised to these come out in the near future.  Casey to the courtesy phone.

12 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

The 68 and 69 tooling is probably at Round 2.  Wouldn't be surprised to these come out in the near future.  Casey to the courtesy phone.

The '69 maybe. The '68 would have been modified into the '69. The chassis plate is probably the one under the '65 convertible. Thing is, why would they have modified the chassis plate from the '69 to fit the '65 [different wheelbases] if the '69 was intact? There's nothing special about a '65 to make it more desirable than a '69. Maybe less desirable because it's a convertible and the '69 is a sedan.

That said, I don't know of anything that was based on the '69 tooling that was issued after it.

Edited by Can-Con

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

The '69 maybe. The '68 would have been modified into the '69. The chassis plate is probably the one under the '65 convertible. Thing is, why would they have modified the chassis plate from the '69 to fit the '65 [different wheelbases] if the '69 was intact? There's nothing special about a '65 to make it more desirable than a '69. Maybe less desirable because it's a convertible and the '69 is a sedan.

That said, I don't know of anything that was based on the '69 tooling that was issued after it.

The 1969 Licoln is the last issue and never modified later. Creating a 1966-68 is probably not a big deal

On 8/28/2021 at 4:31 PM, Can-Con said:

That wouldn't be a "one and done" Alan. That body was converted to the Nova.

I doubt they'd convert it back for a kit of a much less popular car.

I've Checked, Steve. Both the Nova and Ventura existed at the same time. Different Bodies and chrome trees, and some trim parts, but two separate kits, sharing Chassis, Engine and interior parts.

I'd really like to see the Ventura.

(maybe after they run the '68 Coronet for George P)

1 hour ago, alexis said:

I've Checked, Steve. Both the Nova and Ventura existed at the same time. Different Bodies and chrome trees, and some trim parts, but two separate kits, sharing Chassis, Engine and interior parts.

I'd really like to see the Ventura.

(maybe after they run the '68 Coronet for George P)

Nope. It was a mid-year change. The '77 Ventura was turned into the '77 Nova when the run of Pontiacs was done. That's why both '77s are so rare. 

19 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I'm not sure about the chassis of the 1965  versus the 1969. I can say for sure that AMT changed the engine and that the later is chrome plated.

9 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

I'm not sure about the chassis of the 1965  versus the 1969. I can say for sure that AMT changed the engine and that the later is chrome plated.

I'm hoping you're right about the '69 as it's the only one I'm missing between '63 and the end of the run. But, realistically, we probably would have at least heard rumors of it being reissued if it was still a workable tool.

But, hey, maybe there's enough left to make it viable to do the same thing with it as they did with the Nova wagon. Who knows? 🙂

Perhaps a wish list but anyway a list, unprioritized

- Italeri Ferrari 250 SWB

- MPC Ford GT Mk4LeMans winner -67

- AMT Ford Falcon Futura Sprint -64
  With rally equipment including the "stripped" interior.
  And decals for the correct year of the Monte Carlo Rally, i.e. 1964
  (the original kit had decals for a car driven in the -63 rally, driven by Peter Jopp)

- AMT Pontiac Catalina -63
  With decals, wheesl/tyres and other parts to build both a proper Swiss Cheese drag racer (Ace Wilsons Royal Oak)
  and a Nascar racer. 
  This year was the last year when the full-size Pontiacs were competitive in both genres of racing, 
  e.g. Joe Wearthery becoming the Nascar champion, driving for several teams, including Pontiacs, out of necessity.
  Personally I would by 2 kits to build both versions

- Tamiya Morgan +4

- Revell Jaguar XK120

- Revell Jaguar XK-SS
  Even better would be a modification to a proper D-type

- Revell Mercedes 300 SLR, the Moss / Jenkinson MM winner 1955

A few of these would certainly find their place on my shelf.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 8:57 AM, kjohan said:

Perhaps a wish list but anyway a list, unprioritized

- Italeri Ferrari 250 SWB

- MPC Ford GT Mk4LeMans winner -67

- AMT Ford Falcon Futura Sprint -64
  With rally equipment including the "stripped" interior.
  And decals for the correct year of the Monte Carlo Rally, i.e. 1964
  (the original kit had decals for a car driven in the -63 rally, driven by Peter Jopp)

- AMT Pontiac Catalina -63
  With decals, wheesl/tyres and other parts to build both a proper Swiss Cheese drag racer (Ace Wilsons Royal Oak)
  and a Nascar racer. 
  This year was the last year when the full-size Pontiacs were competitive in both genres of racing, 
  e.g. Joe Wearthery becoming the Nascar champion, driving for several teams, including Pontiacs, out of necessity.
  Personally I would by 2 kits to build both versions

- Tamiya Morgan +4

- Revell Jaguar XK120

- Revell Jaguar XK-SS
  Even better would be a modification to a proper D-type

- Revell Mercedes 300 SLR, the Moss / Jenkinson MM winner 1955

A few of these would certainly find their place on my shelf.

You can count me in for a 250GT SWB, a Morgan Plus Four, and an XK-SS as well. Italeri's 275GTB/4 would be more than acceptable, too. 

On 9/2/2021 at 4:09 PM, Can-Con said:

The bigger question is did the 69 tool survive the big scrap drive of 1973.

Here’s my wish list Round 2 shouldn’t release...

Off Road 4x4 Pickup Camper with motorbike / Warlock Dodge Sidestep truck - both are 70s era trucks

1972 Chevelle SS Red Alert or SSlasher

Blue Max and others.

How about seeing some 1967 Chargers for a change? Too many ‘69 Chargers kits out there.

Force 440 / Cop Out / Smokey the Convoy Chaser

Pinto wagon

More 70s and 80s era Camaros

12 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Here’s my wish list Round 2 shouldn’t release...

Off Road 4x4 Pickup Camper with motorbike / Warlock Dodge Sidestep truck - both are 70s era trucks

1972 Chevelle SS Red Alert or SSlasher

Blue Max and others.

How about seeing some 1967 Chargers for a change? Too many ‘69 Chargers kits out there.

Force 440 / Cop Out / Smokey the Convoy Chaser

Pinto wagon

More 70s and 80s era Camaros

You have hope for a few of these. The MPC ‘67 Charger was put out just a few years ago. Same with the Pinto Wagon. The “Smokey” Dart was done as a special limited release about 20 years ago, so it looks like Round 2 can change some of that tool around and produce it either as the stock/ drag Dart or the Smokey kit. 

The rest of your list gets a little dicey. The Force 440 will probably never be coming back, as MPC changed the body and interior for that kit from a 2 door Monaco Sport to a 4 door nearly 40 year ago. The 2 door body and interior might be gone forever. You can still find buildable Force 440’s for not too much money sometimes. The Cop Out was a Monogram kit, and that one has been rereleased numerous times. 

The 70’s Dodge Pickups are questionable. It depends upon whether or not they still have the 4x4 parts. The Warlock is basically a 4x4 Lil Red with bed rails, while the 4x4 pickup could be done if they can find the long bed 4x4 parts (which really might have become shortbed parts, if they were modified for the Warlock release in around 1978). 

I think Round 2 should look at reproducing the Dodge long bed 4x4 parts and Warlock wagon wheels, use the old Desert Dog Formula tires, tool up a new roll bar, and release a long bed Macho Wagon. They could do a retro box in the style of the old Warlock, Road Runner Super Pak and Firebird Blackbird boxes from ‘78 (with factory photos and illustrations) and offer that “missing link”. That would be a super cool offering that I think would sell very well. 

The last 2nd gen Camaro tool they have left is the MPC kit from about 1981. From what I remember, that one was a bit of a hot mess (big block engine left over from the early 70’s releases, bumpers and flares that don’t fit too well). Still, the originals finally seem to be drying up, so that could be worth a shot. 

One of the ‘72 Chevelles could be nice, but from what I remember of that one, the grille was butchered. They would have to tool up a decent grille for it, otherwise, it would be neat to see that one get the retro box/ expanded decals / new tires treatment.