Model Cars Magazine Forum

Weird cars Post em here.

NYLIBUD

On 6/15/2018 at 7:22 AM, TarheelRick said:

Saw this one at the Food Lion Auto Show and Swap Meet at Charlotte Motor Speedway several years ago.  It is completely fabricated of wood, except for the mechanicals of course.  Notice the name "Splinter".

Charlotte 016.jpg

Charlotte 017.jpg

Hope this one never suffers an engine fire!!

Here's some factory weirdness.

This is the Volkswagen Golf Harlequin. They made these in a very limited run back in 1995. Pretty standard mid-level Golf; 2.0L 4-cylinder, manual or auto, heated seats, AC, came with hubcaps not alloys. Seat fabric was a little different. And then there was the paint. These came in four colours. The cars were officially registered by using the colour of the rear quarter panels. They came in four specific patterns based on that rear panel. 

I worked for VW throughout the 90s, and my dealership got three of these in; a red, a blue, and a yellow. We set one up as a demo unit, and I got more attention with that than in almost any Porsche i brought home.

They are insanely rare today for a couple of reasons. First, they just didn't build many for North America. Second, a lot of people, and a lot of dealerships ended up painting them. I know one dealer than swapped panels and made one fully red car, a green, a blue, and a yellow.

I still want one. :)

harl 1.jpg

harl 2.jpg

That reminds me of an old Johnny Cash song.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:32 PM, Bucky said:

6-weirdest-trucks-from-around-the-world.

This would need a V8, but it's not a bad idea if you liked Bikes and Travel Trailers.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:27 PM, JollySipper said:

The things you'll find in the mountains of NC........

studerat.jpg.78633af8023501ba04805376048cf39a.jpg

I doubt the exhaust is even functional...…

I didn't know that you had Palm Trees in N.C.

On 6/21/2018 at 7:09 PM, iamsuperdan said:

This is the Volkswagen Golf Harlequin. They made these in a very limited run back in 1995. Pretty standard mid-level Golf; 2.0L 4-cylinder, manual or auto, heated seats, AC, came with hubcaps not alloys. Seat fabric was a little different. And then there was the paint. These came in four colours. The cars were officially registered by using the colour of the rear quarter panels. They came in four specific patterns based on that rear panel. 

I worked for VW throughout the 90s, and my dealership got three of these in; a red, a blue, and a yellow. We set one up as a demo unit, and I got more attention with that than in almost any Porsche i brought home.

They are insanely rare today for a couple of reasons. First, they just didn't build many for North America. Second, a lot of people, and a lot of dealerships ended up painting them. I know one dealer than swapped panels and made one fully red car, a green, a blue, and a yellow.

harl 1.jpg

harl 2.jpg

Reminds me of one of my first cars.....FrankenMerc....however the Comet was made of other dead Mavericks and Comets

On 6/21/2018 at 10:09 PM, iamsuperdan said:

harl 1.jpg

I think VW has a recent version of this now. I seem to remember seeing an ad or a commercial on TV.

On 6/29/2018 at 3:22 PM, Xingu said:

I think VW has a recent version of this now. I seem to remember seeing an ad or a commercial on TV.

THey've done many Harlequin editions over the years, but the Mk3 Golf is the only one that came to North America. :)

Not really weird, but they used to sponsor a lot of big name European tours, and back in the 90s they did special editions for each tour. Pink Floyd, Bon Jovi, Rolling Stones. I think there were others too. Special trim, special interior fabrics.

rs1.JPG

rs2.jpg

rs3.jpg

bj1.jpg

Bon-jovi.jpg

pf1 - Copy.jpg

pf2.jpg