Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Shelby GT500 and Shelby GT350H kits

gasman

anyone know the street date for these kits, Tower Hobbies list them as late July...which it is.

Well, it's late July for another week or so...and if they haven't updated that date, I'd say by this time next week someone will have 'em in their hands :rolleyes:

Well, it's late July for another week or so...and if they haven't updated that date, I'd say by this time next week someone will have 'em in their hands :unsure:

Indeed, just got the Revell Germany newsletter for July and it's listed as available, you can see a pic of the build up (prototype?!) at their site (360°)

Luc

Probably for the same reason they have not yet made a 1/24 BMW 2002. And I have been after them since they started their Classics series to do one.

The 2002 would be a great kit subject. It would have fit nicely into Tamiya's vintage kit series. I'd love to see some vintage Mercs also in 1:24, like a 'pagoda roof' W113 SL, a '60s 300SEL 6.3 (or one of the related coupes or convertibles), or a late '70s 450SEL 6.9.

The 2002 would be a great kit subject. It would have fit nicely into Tamiya's vintage kit series. I'd love to see some vintage Mercs also in 1:24, like a 'pagoda roof' W113 SL, a '60s 300SEL 6.3 (or one of the related coupes or convertibles), or a late '70s 450SEL 6.9.

Rob, it would have been an excellent Tamiya kit.

Back in the 1990s when I was still penning STRICTLY STOCK for SAE, Revell Germany put out feelers for new subjects for their "Classics" seris (which included the BMW 507, Jaguar XK-SS, and the ex-Monogram Jaguar XK120). I suggested to them the 2002 as a perfect subject - this was the car that put BMW on the map. They could squeeze at least three variants out of it: 2002, 2002tii, and 2002 Turbo. The kit, IMO, would be a runaway hot seller in Europe and Japan.

Note that Revell Germany seems to have lost their appetite for the Classics series. There was sill so many kits they could have done that would have done well in their home market, not to mention the rest of the EU. . .BMW 2002, BMW 3.0CSi, Facel Vega HK500 (which Heller had actually started to research but never followed through), Jaguar SS100, MGA 1600 Twin Cam, Triumph Spitfire, Mercedes-Benz 280SL, and others.

Rob, it would have been an excellent Tamiya kit.

Back in the 1990s when I was still penning STRICTLY STOCK for SAE, Revell Germany put out feelers for new subjects for their "Classics" seris (which included the BMW 507, Jaguar XK-SS, and the ex-Monogram Jaguar XK120). I suggested to them the 2002 as a perfect subject - this was the car that put BMW on the map. They could squeeze at least three variants out of it: 2002, 2002tii, and 2002 Turbo. The kit, IMO, would be a runaway hot seller in Europe and Japan.

Note that Revell Germany seems to have lost their appetite for the Classics series. There was sill so many kits they could have done that would have done well in their home market, not to mention the rest of the EU. . .BMW 2002, BMW 3.0CSi, Facel Vega HK500 (which Heller had actually started to research but never followed through), Jaguar SS100, MGA 1600 Twin Cam, Triumph Spitfire, Mercedes-Benz 280SL, and others.

Agreed :rolleyes: I would love a BMW 2002, or the twin cam MGA or the Spitfire, maybe do a version of Grassroots Motorsports, Rotospit! :D

whats interesting is that the Revell AG version is still shown as the regular GT500 (there a boxart pic on EBAY), but the Revell US Version is clearly a KR from the test shots seen online and in magazines. I wonder if there two different kits. meaning the Revell AG one is the regular GT500 and the Revell US one is the KR

BTW AMT's Challenger looks great. the wheels may be a tad too small but other then that it looks good.

whats interesting is that the Revell AG version is still shown as the regular GT500 (there a boxart pic on EBAY), but the Revell US Version is clearly a KR from the test shots seen online and in magazines. I wonder if there two different kits. meaning the Revell AG one is the regular GT500 and the Revell US one is the KR

BTW AMT's Challenger looks great. the wheels may be a tad too small but other then that it looks good.

I've seen the box art for the Revell AG one on ebay, but have yet to see the US Revell box art...there was a strange B&W pic (B&W ad in 2008?) in the current SA for a KR, but I assumed that is a separate release from the GT500 and GT-H issues...

Revell US has both GT500 and the KR is another variation due later; two issues ago in SA they had a b&w photo of the GT500 next to the Hertz version. The next issue had the KR.

it looks like Revell has the GT-500KR and the Bullitt versions planned for later this summer. i too found the GT-500 and the Hertz versions in stock and ready to ship from Tower Hobbies. i'm guessing that no one has either of them yet in thier hands, i'd like to see some pics of the new parts and the decal sheets.

Dave

I ordered the Shelbys from Evers Toy Store yesterday, hope to have them by the end of the week. Looking forward to the KR and Bullitt versions.

it looks like Revell has the GT-500KR and the Bullitt versions planned for later this summer. i too found the GT-500 and the Hertz versions in stock and ready to ship from Tower Hobbies. i'm guessing that no one has either of them yet in thier hands, i'd like to see some pics of the new parts and the decal sheets.

Dave

I got the GT500 today, no pics but it is a good bit different then the 06 GT kit. the body's different. the front fascia is seperate. and the rear bumper is different (but still attached to the body). there's a new hood, The engine is completely different. it shares nothing with the 06 kit. The chasiss and interior other then seats are the same. the decal sheet is excellent. both blue and white stripes. guage decals. decals for under the hood. it is excellent. my only gripe is that the wheels may be a tad small. they are the same size as the 06 GT wheels, all in all its an excellent kit. and its nice too Revell is giving us different versions of this body style Mustang since they shafted us with the 99-04 body style

my only gripe is that the wheels may be a tad small. they are the same size as the 06 GT wheels,

That's disappointing. They should be a scale inch larger; I assume the tires are the same too? I gather that the GT-H wheels are also undersized. Undersized wheels are a consistent scourge on our hobby :(

The GT500 KR wheels look to be more accurate size-wise if their photo is any indication.

Edited by Zoom Zoom

That's disappointing. They should be a scale inch larger; I assume the tires are the same too? I gather that the GT-H wheels are also undersized. Undersized wheels are a consistent scourge on our hobby :(

The GT500 KR wheels look to be more accurate size-wise if their photo is any indication.

The GT-H used 17" Mustang GT optional wheels, so they should be the same size as the 17" base GT wheels in the '06 kit.

The GT-H used 17" Mustang GT optional wheels, so they should be the same size as the 17" base GT wheels in the '06 kit.

I measured the '05/'06 GT wheels, amazingly enough they measure .785" visible diameter, which correlates to an 18" 1/25 scale wheel, a scale inch larger than they should be. I would guess the GT500 wheels appear small because OOB the model sits high (especially in front) and the sidewalls are so tall and devoid of engraved detail. Stock 1:1 GT500 wheels look a bit small to me :(

The stock GT500 will look best if the builder uses lower profile tires and lowers the stance a bit. The KR that was on the 1:1 show circuit had beautiful 20" wheels, low profile tires and a lowered stance which looked perfect on the car; the production car has 18's, higher profile tires, and a higher ride height, making it look tame vs. the show version. It looks like Revell's using larger wheels and tires on the KR that appear sized more like the show car. One inherent problem with Revell Mustangs is shallow wheelwells; fitting custom or wider tires is difficult without some serious surgery, and the prototype KR in the flyer looks like the wheels/tires stick outside the fenders a bit too much.

I have yet to build a completely stock new Mustang, having used Aoshima 19" wheels, Fujimi Brembo brakes and lowered ride height on my otherwise stock '05 GT and Fujimi Porsche Cayman 19" sport wheels on my Jada GT500:

IMG_4165-vi.jpg

I disagree about the decal sheet. Revell has done much better on their own. The blue stripes are just awful. Does anyone remember how great the Shelby series one decals were? Metallic stripes! Not like the GT500 horrible color matrix setup. Anyone know if Keith Marks is doing a decal set for these?

I disagree about the decal sheet. Revell has done much better on their own. The blue stripes are just awful. Does anyone remember how great the Shelby series one decals were? Metallic stripes! Not like the GT500 horrible color matrix setup. Anyone know if Keith Marks is doing a decal set for these?

I'm building mine as a stripe delete car so I was only worried about the other bits. I can't comment on the stripes. but they are available in other colors then blue or white. they come in black and two shades of gray as well