Model Cars Magazine Forum

Calling ALL Generals

disconovaman

Here's 2 General Lees I built.  The General in the first 4 pictures is an MPC glue kit modified with parts from a Revell '69 Charger.  It's painted Hugger Orange.

The General in the next 4 pictures is an MPC snap kit painted 1975 Corvette Flame Red.  

Both cars have wheels from an AMT '69 Riviera.  The last picture of both cars together shows the difference between the 2 colors.

IMG_7572 Small.jpg

IMG_7581 Small.jpg

IMG_7582 Small.jpg

IMG_7586 Small.jpg

IMG_9090 Small.jpg

IMG_9095 Small.jpg

IMG_9068 Small.jpg

IMG_9078 Small.jpg

IMG_9098 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

6 hours ago, crowe-t said:

Here's 2 General Lees I built.  The General in the first 4 pictures is an MPC glue kit modified with parts from a Revell '69 Charger.  It's painted Hugger Orange.

The General in the next 4 pictures is an MPC snap kit painted 1975 Corvette Flame Red.  

Both cars have wheels from an AMT '69 Riviera.

Great looking Generals there, I never knew those wheels were in the 69 Riviera... I've never had the kit, nice to know. I've always got them from the Ecklers corvette and the early Off Road Ford Currier. I looked up a review on the Buick and there they were... nice! Here is a shot from the review.

You know? the model has been done over and over but each one is a little different and that is why I wanted to gather them all up here to see the differences. Defiantly inspiration for sure...

20180616_074514.png

13 hours ago, crowe-t said:

Both cars have wheels from an AMT '69 Riviera.  The last picture of both cars together shows the difference between the 2 colors.

IMG_7572 Small.jpg

IMG_7581 Small.jpg

IMG_7582 Small.jpg

IMG_7586 Small.jpg

IMG_9090 Small.jpg

IMG_9095 Small.jpg

IMG_9068 Small.jpg

IMG_9078 Small.jpg

IMG_9098 Small.jpg

Those look great. I'd love to find a set of crossed flags and a front plate for my next one.

On 6/14/2018 at 9:41 PM, spencer1984 said:

I missed this thread when it first came up, but I can throw a couple in now. I did one as an original...

general-lee-noflag.jpg.e30dc8574683e6538c7bf01dc54545f3.jpg

...and one as a movie General:

movie-general-lee-15.jpg.7677fe86366990c3efaa06399ebe9c7d.jpg

You never disappoint, Bill. Nicely done.

10 hours ago, KWT said:

Those look great. I'd love to find a set of crossed flags and a front plate for my next one.

Thanks Jeremy!  A friend made me the decals a while ago.  The early Georgia General Lees with the cross flags are my favorite look for the car. The early cars had the darker saddle tan interiors and the smaller front push bar.  I didn't like the later cars as much with the light cream interiors.

Edited by crowe-t

17 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Great looking Generals there, I never knew those wheels were in the 69 Riviera... I've never had the kit, nice to know. I've always got them from the Ecklers corvette and the early Off Road Ford Currier. I looked up a review on the Buick and there they were... nice! Here is a shot from the review.

You know? the model has been done over and over but each one is a little different and that is why I wanted to gather them all up here to see the differences. Defiantly inspiration for sure...

20180616_074514.png

Thanks Anthony!  The only difference between the Eckler and Riviera wheels is the the Riviera wheels have the built in posts for the axles.  Apparently the Riviera doesn't have wheel backs.  I just cut the posts off and filed the rear of the wheels down to fit with the MPC wheel backs and tires.

I started with an MPC General Lee kit but I spliced in parts from a Revell '69 Charger chassis and it has the full front and rear Revell suspension and rear end.  I also used the Revell firewall and radiator/support.  I have a couple of the Revell '69 Charger kits that I plan on building as LEE 1 and LEE 3(2 of the original Georgia General Lees).  The Revell kit builds up real nice but I first wanted to see what I could do with the MPC kits.

Edited by crowe-t

On May 1, 2018 at 2:10 PM, disconovaman said:

I have to give credit to BeakDoc for this idea. I think it's a great idea to do a roll call for ALL the General Lee's. KWT, you were the inspiration so I'd love to see yours here too!  Here is my current one I built a few years back but I have more to build as well. Thanks!

Screenshot_20180501-110112.jpg

Screenshot_20180501-110037.jpg

Screenshot_20180501-111007.jpg

Great job on this one Anthony!  Thanks for starting this thread.

6 hours ago, crowe-t said:

I plan on building as LEE 1 and LEE 3(2 of the original Georgia General Lees)

Thanks, You know your Generals... I've educated myself on the differences over the years too. I seen LEE 1 at Cooter's place in 2000, long before it was restored and it was rough. I've seen most of the surviving Generals over the years and I've studied the details.  I've been going to the DOH reuinons since 98. WB only used one stuntcar to Ski with during the entire series and It's one of the survivors, I seen it in 05 at the Bristol Dukesfest... Huge Dukes of Hazzard nerd here.