Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nice job on the Doodle Bug.  I suppose that historically speaking, this is the first cruise missile.  Not terrible accurate (especially by today's standards), but a cruise missile none the less.

As I'm sure many of you know, the RAF fighter pilots soon found that shooting at these was difficult - and life-threatening if you did hit one and it exploded in front of you! - so they developed a technique of flying alongside and easing their wingtip under the doodlebug's wingtip so sending it into a turn - and back towards where it had come from. This was used regularly but sadly many did still get through.

Cheers,

-Don.

Wow, you really did a nice job on this. Both the colors and the scheme itself look right on. Not that there was really a "standard" scheme for these things, of course, but yours looks looks typical of quite a few of these I've seen. Nicely done and model on! 

Great job on the paint and paneling detail, especially in 1/48 scale.  For anyone who'd like to move up to 1/35 scale, Bronco does several different versions.  They include the piloted and trainer aircraft.  No figure of Hanna Reitsch included, AFAIK, but the towing dolly is.  And why did they need a trainer version of something that was basically a kamikaze?  Typical German attention to detail, I guess...

bronc_V1.jpg

Edited by Mike999
error

• 1 month later...

I always thought the piloted version would make a great salt flats racer. Ditch the wings and add four wheels. In the air they could approach 500mph so without the weight of a bomb what could they get up to?

fi-103.jpg

Edited by jaxenro