Model Cars Magazine Forum

Detachable Gooseneck Lowboy, WIP

This is an ongoing work in progress. It started as a Double Take Replicas lowboy kit. The kit included 3D printed carrier beams and suspension units, as well as low profile tires, and styrene side beams and crossmembers. I cannot build ANYTHING from the box, so it went to the workbench. I assembled the frame and part of the gooseneck per the intended design. As this was a detachable neck kit, but not prototypical because it was a snap on neck, I decided to make it fully prototypical with a hydraulic system for the working parts.

Shown also is the intended horse to pull it around, another work in progress, a Mack B815, as well as another newer design lowboy yet to be completed either.

I built a kingpin receiver on the deck, made a kingpin box operated by hydraulic cylinders inside the neck, added the trap door assembly, added a stinger to support the neck when detached from the trailer, and replaced the low profile tires with full size rubber, and added hinged ramps. The cylinders were all scratchbuilt from Evergreen stock.

Still need to finish the deck supports, add the outriggers, d-rings, rear platform supports, detail the suspension, piping and wiring, and many other details that make such a build complete. One step at a time! Hope you enjoy the progress.

z.jpg

y.jpg

x.jpg

w.jpg

v.jpg

u.jpg

t.jpg

s.jpg

r.jpg

q.jpg

p.jpg

o.jpg

n.jpg

m.jpg

l.jpg

k.jpg

j.jpg

i.jpg

h.jpg

g.jpg

f.jpg

e.jpg

d.jpg

c.jpg

b.jpg

Well, true to my established form, I HAD to change gears in the middle of the build, and go backwards for a bit. So, I cut away all of the small cross beams that came with the Double Take kit, and replaced them with more prototypical, at least to me, larger H beams. I then changed the tail side beams to match trailers I used to work with. Have to cap them off yet. Then I cut the wood deck to fit. Am going to use the excellent drop deck suspension from Jamie at Moluminum, and outriggers and d-rings from Shapeways. It's getting closer.............no idea yet what color to paint it yet, but probably yellow or red.

1525657622137-th.jpg1525657639749-th.jpg1525657655953-th.jpg1525657672781-th.jpg1525657687572-th.jpg

• 4 months later...

After a summer off doing outside stuff, back at it again.........................got the suspension fitted, from Moluminum. Final fitted the deck and finished the deck extensions in front of the frontmost rear axle. Also repaired the flip down ramp on the front that somehow became detached along the way. Next up is hydraulic piping for the gooseneck and the stinger. Also have to do the brake piping. And......................gotta get the old B815 out of the shop and done as well!1539047653369-th.jpg1539048332994-th.jpg1539048398113-th.jpg1539047625342-th.jpg One step at a time!1538435911603-th.jpg1538435951268-th.jpg1538435966592-th.jpg

• 3 months later...

Made some progress.....got it to the point of adding the air and hydraulic lines. Added the outriggers and d-rings.  Made up the decking with all of the bolts to hold them down.  Suspension is all done along with all of the air tanks, and valves etc. Now the piping and electric lines and paint! Maybe I'll get it done this decade!

IMG_7742.JPG

IMG_7743.JPG

IMG_7744.JPG

IMG_7745.JPG

IMG_7746.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

15 hours ago, blackbeard said:

looking fantastic what ever color you go with should be a stunner

Planning on a dark red...thanks!

15 hours ago, landman said:

Do you have drawings of a real one to do this? Or is it from memory from having built or worked with them? Also are the deck bolt heads inset meng nuts or are they drawn? Whatever, this is most impressive.

Worked with many of these over the years and mainly working from memory. Actually, the bed bolts aren't bolts at all but merely drilled holes in the wood.  The real ones we used had the bolts snugged tight down into the deck so this looks pretty real!  We actually converted a ground bearing Model to a non ground bearing like this one so I remember a bit, but can't remember what I had for supper last night!

13 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Now that is scratch building!  Tom: That is fantastic.  Clean, well executed and the combination of the B Model Mack, the huge tires and that lowbed are just awesome!  A fine piece of work!

Thanks Charlie!  Much appreciated! I have someone who gives me AWESOME inspiration, by the way! Thank you!

10 hours ago, DrKerry said:

Call me impressed!!! Awesome work!!!! 

Thank you!

10 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Impressive! Very Impressive!

Thank you as well.....lots to go yet!

6 hours ago, Warren D said:

Absolutely fantastic work.  I wish I had the skill and the patience!

Thanks! It's getting there.   The biggest challenge is to make everything work!

7 hours ago, redneckrigger said:

Worked with many of these over the years and mainly working from memory. Actually, the bed bolts aren't bolts at all but merely drilled holes in the wood.  The real ones we used had the bolts snugged tight down into the deck so this looks pretty real!  We actually converted a ground bearing Model to a non ground bearing like this one so I remember a bit, but can't remember what I had for supper last night!

Nice to see I am not the only one like that.-_- Love your work. First class. I may pirate/steal/copy some ideas when I do mine.