Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is Gravity Colors still in Business?

• I was wondering if this company is gone. I ordered $40 worth of paints almost two months ago and they have gone radio silent. They still had an ad in the last edition of Model Cars Magazine, and their web site is still there, but my order status shows as  "processing", and they have not responded to my inquiries about the status of the order. 
  • I had an e-mail conversation with Matt at the beginning of March and I had the impression from that that they're kind of a one man operation. I know our hobby has a lot of small business that can get behind the eight ball financially so they come and go.
  • Anybody else heard anything?

Thank you for the link. Reading through this it appears that Matt is basically running a business where he is in over his head and has had problems meeting customer needs from the start. I also see there are two similar websites. I don't know if he is using a separate website for EU sales, or if Matt is reselling a paint made in Europe, or what is going on here, but it is poor practice. If it is the latter then he may have gotten into a situation common to underfunded small operations where he is behind on accounts payable and is not getting any more product from the supplier until he catches up.

I any event I am going to look for another source for the paint I was trying to procure.

On 5/8/2018 at 10:12 AM, Jhedir6 said:

Looks like as of Monday the Gravity Colors in the US is back up and running. 

I placed an order last night. We'll see how long it takes to process. Hopefully not too long.

I'm at over two months, no product, and no response to my inquiries. Their site is back up as far as taking orders and processing your credit card, but I see no evidence of deliveries and have written off the money I paid them. I guess at some point I will report them to my credit card company and dispute the charge.

Good luck, and let us know if you get any paint. 

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:02 PM, Alfa158 said:

Thank you for the link. Reading through this it appears that Matt is basically running a business where he is in over his head and has had problems meeting customer needs from the start. I also see there are two similar websites. I don't know if he is using a separate website for EU sales, or if Matt is reselling a paint made in Europe, or what is going on here, but it is poor practice. If it is the latter then he may have gotten into a situation common to underfunded small operations where he is behind on accounts payable and is not getting any more product from the supplier until he catches up.

I any event I am going to look for another source for the paint I was trying to procure.

The EU & US Gravity Colors are different animals. I heard it was an ugly divorce.

On 2018-05-17 at 8:13 PM, Alfa158 said:

I'm at over two months, no product, and no response to my inquiries. Their site is back up as far as taking orders and processing your credit card, but I see no evidence of deliveries and have written off the money I paid them. I guess at some point I will report them to my credit card company and dispute the charge.

Good luck, and let us know if you get any paint. 

I placed my order early last Tuesday morning (May 8th), my order was filled and shipped out with the post on Wednesday night. I received it here in Canada on Tuesday morning. If you still have an outstanding order I'd go through Paypal or your CC company for a refund. No idea why past orders haven't been filled yet. I love the paint, but the CS this year have been terrible as many have stated. Hopefully they can turn things around. Good luck.

On 5/18/2018 at 9:39 PM, Jhedir6 said:

I placed my order early last Tuesday morning (May 8th), my order was filled and shipped out with the post on Wednesday night. I received it here in Canada on Tuesday morning. If you still have an outstanding order I'd go through Paypal or your CC company for a refund. No idea why past orders haven't been filled yet. I love the paint, but the CS this year have been terrible as many have stated. Hopefully they can turn things around. Good luck.

Thank you for the tip. I looked at the two web sites and they look like mirror images but are not the same company. It appears that the US company was a distributor for the manufacturer in Spain but  they had a falling out. It may be that the colors you ordered were still in stock with the former distributor so you received your order. At least one of the colors I ordered may not be in stock with the US distributor and they can't get any more, so my order disappeared down the black hole. My attempts to communicate with the former distributor have been ignored so I canceled the order with my credit card company and they credited me for the amount. It appears that the real Gravity Colors will ship internationally so once the dispute is closed, and I know I have the charge permanently reversed I will try ordering directly.

Good to have a community to talk with!