Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '41 Willys "Demon II"-Now Under Glass...

mustang1989

I haven't been in the "Car" section in a while with a build so I'll break the ice by showing up with this one. I needed something that's going to go a little smooth for me with this Freightliner build looming in the background so I've decided to take on another "Demon II" project. I'll be taking the original gasser idea and slamming it to the ground for more of a Pro Street look. Paint scheme will be the original Street Demons theme with the flames on the sides.

Here we go:

0qBtqt.jpg

unMEaZ.jpg

Demon%20Logo_zpsnwa9iw4i.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks fellas.

Just to let everybody know.............I am still working on this one. I've got the chassis mostly finished up except for the brake rotors up front and the exhaust system. I've also gotta tweak the toe in setting on the front end to keep the excessive toe in look from happening on the front wheels when fully assembled.
I narrowed the rear axle to get the wider tires underneath the rear fenders and lowered the front suspension a good 1/8" to make it an even drop all the way around.

I did acquire the only PE piece made for this kit which will help the front end out ALOT. Sorry Revell..................that's good for OOB but it aint gonna cut it on this build.

I'm currently working on the engine which will take me a bit because of the detail I want to throw at this beast. I'll be robbing a lot of the parts except for the base engine block and transmission (which I'll leave OOB) from the Revell Hemi Dart kit. I was going to post some engine progress pics as well but the Spaz Stix clear doesn't work well with Model Master acrylic paint. Turned it white in the crevices so I'll be shooting another thin coat of orange on the block and re-coating the clear with Tamiya clear like I usually do the next time around. Today's learning curve complete.   Wink

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on this one on and off this week. Engine build is under way. I've decided to NOT go the blower route and go with a dual quad super stock motor. I'll be using the heads, rocker covers, intake and timing cover out of the 68 Hemi Dart kit (which I'll have to replace because I do want to build a Hemi Dart) and retaining the block and transmission from the Willys Street rod kit so as to keep the mods to fit the engine into the frame to a minimum. I had to modify the timing cover and intake slightly to get them to fit together on this engine block. I've been doing a lot of studying on this particular powerplant because I want to replicate the fuel delivery system and throttle linkage.

Here's the base build up as of earlier in the week:

and here we are with it as of now (Part number is wrong on the filter-might should've left that part off).

another thing that has caught my interest are the two piece aluminum wheels that are available these days. I actually acquired these wheels some time back but the rear wheels were so wide that I didn't have a tire wide enough to mount them in. So I took both of the wheel sleeves into a machine shop and had them cut the sleeve to the depth I wanted and "Walla!" , I've got myself a set of usable Pro Street wheels now. I'll have the wheel studs and lug nuts coming by next Thursday. :wink:

Here's where we're gonna go with the tire and wheel set up:

Thanks Jeremy!

I'm certainly going to try Erroll.

I'm waiting on throttle linkage, spark plug wires and the like to arrive in the mail for any more progress on the engine.

Until then I'm marchin' on with the wheel construction. Since I've gotten the modifications to the rear wheel sleeves from my local machine shop , I've been waiting on the studs and nuts needed for the rear wheels.

I took the base wheel face and drilled all the lug nut holes out a little so the studs would fit.

Here's the lug nuts that I acquired from RB Motion: (if none of you have checked THAT site out then you need to. AMAZING stuff on there)

Lug nuts installed:

And here we are with the wheel face adhered onto the wheel sleeve and a light wash applied to the lug nuts to bring out the detail. Before installing the wheel face I hit the wheel sleeve with some steel wool and then followed that up with some Mothers Aluminum Polish to bring a nice shine to the sleeves. Each of the rear wheels were 8 pieces in total. Fronts were 4 pieces each.

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:55 PM, Kronic Designs said:

Great start Joe, I always loved the Willys. Will be following this build.

Thanks Mike!

Been away from the bench for a few weeks fellas. Lots of activities in the 1:1 world to attend to during the summer.

Got the stance checked and still want it a little lower but this'll be the starting point.

Here's the rolling chassis with the powertrain test fitted.

Got the distributor drilled a few days ago in anticipation for the orange spark plug wire arrival in the mail. I got the wires yesterday so I went to work on that this morning.

I also received my "banjo" fittings for the carburetors so I can run those fuel lines now.

My intention was to go with the stock routing and lines for the fuel delivery but this is a custom ride. I found some photos that I took at the San Antonio speedway that may suit this build even better.

A nicely built Hemi with the super stock manifold in a Belvedere:

BTW..............I'll be saving the stock routing for the kit that I robbed this motor from. Oh but wait................there's no motor in that kit any more. :hmm: No worries about that......I got the replacement kit yesterday.

revell-1-25-68-dodge-hemi-dart-2-n-1-500

I didn't like the hole that was cut in the hood. I'm not much of a fan of that kind of stuff because most of the time it just looks cheap and half done. There are those cars that do look cool with a hole in the hood and a big tunnel ram dual quad setup coming out of the hood but this aint that car.

I cut some black Evergreen styrene to match the hole, glued it into place with Tamiya cement, filled in the cracks and low spots with super glue and sanded everything flush nice and purdy.

Hemi is still coming along as well:

an "in chassis" shot with the engine wire harness installed:

It's gonna take up the whole engine bay opening when it's all said and done. Still gotta work on the stance some. :hmm:

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:06 AM, afx said:

Engine looks great Joe.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:34 PM, Straightliner59 said:

Nice work, Joe! Love the concept. It's cool to see one of these  without a scoop or a blower poking through the hood.

Thanks JC and Daniel. I hear ya Daniel. Seems like a lot of 'em do have blowers stickin' out of the hood.

I've got the chassis finished except for the chrome exhaust tips install:

Got the throttle linkage done and have been working on other stuff like the fuel delivery system and radiator hose(which took three hose fabrications until I got a hose and clamp assembly that looked half decent! facepalm_zpsgaclnqrj.gif  ). Still have the throttle return springs to install, fuel lines from the fuel junction block and gotta clean up those air horns which I have temporarily installed for effect.

Here's where we're at now:

Thanks James, Dave and Guido.

I dry brushed on a little ground up brown pastel to tone the plug wires down for a little more realistic look. I've still got a little tweaking to do and one throttle return spring to install on the rear carburetor but here's the fruits of today's labor:

93nDnQ.jpg

Looks very cool and it's nice to see how your plug wires actually look like plug wires, the way you've routed them. I see so many with wires way too long and sticking up like they're solid or something. Your's are much more realistic looking, great job!

Thanks Dennis. Mine were like that in some of my past builds and I wanted a more realistic touch to them so starting with my "Demon II" F-100 build I started routing the ignition cables a lot more carefully and uniformly. Seems to tidy things up a bit in the engine compartment.

The beginnings of the interior construction are under way. Here's the progress on the door panels. I mixed up some dark grey and thinner and outlined all the recessed areas so when I shot the white over the door panels it would make those areas stand out a little more. A pre-shading of sorts.

I found a piece of adhesive backed blue metallic sheet that I applied and cut out around the edges for a neat and clean door insert panel. Then I masked off and painted the door speaker grilles black.

I did the same thing with the seats as I did with the door panels on pre-shading all the cracks and crevices with a dark gray, then a medium coat of white followed by a coat of semi-gloss clear. I'm trying to accent the blue lightly throughout the interior without overdoing it. Keep in mind that the seat belts and dash will be blue as well. I had some soda bottles so I drilled two holes to simulate cup holders and slipped a couple of sodas in the center console. Window switch and shifter bezels were picked out with Chrome BMF. There'll be some more blue in here to balance things out colorwise as it's waaaaaaaaaaaay too bright in there right now with no contrasting.

Radio face with CD halfway out of the slot will be going on the blue panel at the front of the console. Weird how Revell didn't have a decal slide or radio face molded on it.

Edited by mustang1989