Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '41 Willys "Demon II"-Now Under Glass...

mustang1989

18 hours ago, KWT said:

Joe, you're really knocking this one outta park. Nice job!

Preciate it Jeremy!

I removed the soda bottle from the passengers cup holder and glued a piece of black sheet styrene on the bottom of the interior tub at that location to simulate that little black foam pad that's usually at the bottom of cup holders. I may put a bottle cap opener in there as well.

After adding the floor mats, blue seat belts and some other details like the magazine and bottle cap opener on top of the magazine, I think I've broken up the color pattern somewhat. I managed to sneak in a black demons head in between the seat. I had the choice of black or white but chose the subtle route. The interior color layout was a brainstorm of ideas I came up with so I really had no reference for it. Just vision. Still gotta pick out a few details like some switches and all but I've got it about where I want it. I also still have to install the accelerator and brake pedals, shifter lever and fire extinguisher to complete the base tub.

To recap....Before:

After:

Edited by mustang1989

• 2 weeks later...

This may not seem like much but that fire extinguisher was no small job to paint up and put BMF on for the straps. The part came from the 68 Hemi Dart kit along with the decal. The gauge decal came from an instrument panel gauge decal from the AMT 67 Chevelle Pro Street kit.

Got the dash mostly finished and I got the radio and equalizer installed as well as installing the fabricated shifter. The OOB shifter SUCKED!!

Aaaaand to get this part of the build overwith for God's sakes!! Steering column and Grant steering wheel installed. I went ahead and went with a black center on the steering wheel to tie some of the black in the interior together. Interior is...……………….finished! Bench time has NOT been at a premium this summer. Looking forward to making some real progress.

16 hours ago, KWT said:

awesome looking interior there, Joe. Love the details. I may have missed it somewhere, but where did you source the steering wheel?

Thanks Jeremy. The steering wheel came with the kit. I just had to get online to get some ideas in regards to painting and detailing it.

15 hours ago, Codi said:

Fantastic work there Joe.  Love the creativeness of what you've done this build.  cheers, tim

'Preciate the good word there Codi.

1 hour ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

That interior is absolutely outstanding! Sure beats the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH out of mine in my '41 Willys. Shows me I have a long way to go as far as imagination and detailing are concerned.

Thanks Craig! Man you shouldn't be so hard on yourself dude. Plan your job out and then get the things you need to accomplish it. Your Willy's looked good to me but if you want to fine tune things a little I think you'll be more than capable of doing it. Our capabilities are always limited if we start off thinking negatively about our potential. You've got this bro. Look at magazines, web pages and whatever other resources you can get your hands on to give you some real world applications. As far as imagination goes, just think of what you'd like in a car if you were to own one and then make 'er happen. Just my 2 cents

Edited by mustang1989

I hear you on the tablet thing for sure. I tried posting to forums on mine and it's very frustrating.

I'll be going with the original Street Demons theme from 1983 with a slight twist on the colors. I'll be going with Testor's Icy Blue for the blue part

and then a Pearl White for the front half.

1941WillysCoupeStreetDemonsSeries.jpg

It took me around two days to get rid of all the mold lines and ejector pin marks from it. But......here it is in the primer stage....

and then with the paint job and the door flame decals on. More to come.........

Edited by mustang1989

For some unknown reason I couldn't edit my own post. What I wanted to say was that I'm going to clear the whole thing to seal all the decals on once in place and then mask off and paint the White Pearl on the front clip and clear that. Been trying for 20 minutes to edit that into the original post and it kept kicking me out.

On 8/29/2018 at 3:31 PM, mustang1989 said:

Thanks Craig! Man you shouldn't be so hard on yourself dude. Plan your job out and then get the things you need to accomplish it. Your Willy's looked good to me but if you want to fine tune things a little I think you'll be more than capable of doing it. Our capabilities are always limited if we start off thinking negatively about our potential. You've got this bro. Look at magazines, web pages and whatever other resources you can get your hands on to give you some real world applications. As far as imagination goes, just think of what you'd like in a car if you were to own one and then make 'er happen. Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I just need to be more patient with my builds, my Willys was only my fifth finished kit after more than 20 years away from building, and I was really just too anxious to get it done.. I'm still learning a lot and I gotta say your build is teaching me a lot. Looking forward to seeing this one done.

11 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I just need to be more patient with my builds, my Willys was only my fifth finished kit after more than 20 years away from building, and I was really just too anxious to get it done.. I'm still learning a lot and I gotta say your build is teaching me a lot. Looking forward to seeing this one done.

No problem Craig. Hang around these fellas here and you'll definitely notice a change for the better in your modeling in a few months. It worked for me. Wait and see.

Pearl White is on and I'm still waiting on it to gas out. The flames on the sides of the car are complete and I managed to fill in the blank space at the front of the door by trimming the decals and inserting the missing pieces. Just gotta let this finish curing out, apply that Demon II decal up front and then we're off to the final clear coat and polishing. So far...………..so good.

20 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Wow your Willys incredible!!love the fine details ..looks like te driver just turned it off and walked away very nice 

Thanks Jeff. Putting the finishing touches on it. The next update will be in the "Under Glass" section as I'm pretty dang close now. Just waiting on the hood to dry so I can cal it and then clear it. I sanded the sides of the headlights where they were adjoined to the sprue and shot some Molotow through the AB on them. After I let 'em sit a couple of days I'll clear them with Spaz Stix Ultimate Clear so they can be handled and I'll be out of parts to install.