Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question on making gauge bezels

This is my first model car in more years than I can remember.  It's a Minicraft TR3A snap kit that I want to turn into a production race car.  Was moving along well until I got to making the gauges.  I have my dash with the required holes, and the gauge decals, but I don't have a good idea on how to make the bezels.   Any ideas on this would be really helpful.

Many people suggest using metal tube, and cutting bezel rings by carefully "slicing" off a piece of the tube with a metal-cutting saw.  This has never worked well for me, because I have 10 thumbs. You might want to check the "Tips & Tutorials" forum, this question has probably been asked before.

When I needed bezels recently, I cheated and used some old photo-etched bezels from either Detail Master or Model Car Garage.  MCG still sells them, link below.  These will look great as long as your gauge holes are the same size as the MCG bezels.  If not, you may have to custom-make some bezels.

http://www.modelcargarage.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=397

Small diameter solder can be wrapped around the shank of the drill bit you used to drill out the dashboard. Allow the ends of the solder to overlap, then cut through the intersection. Mate the ends, put a dab of chrome paint on, glue in place, and you're done.

Edited by BigTallDad

I needed gauge rings for a TR4A I am building and for the small ones I found some metal transfers that were easy to apply and look good.  This is a current ebay listing for them. I used the 3rd largest rings.

The large gauge rings are PE. The Dash gauges, wood, ash tray, glove cmpt. outline and two small lights between the Spedo and tach are a color print I composited using a scan of a wood sample and photos. The rings give it a believable depth.

image.png.47303e1e78ae6b5792d5f6e9dfc9565e.png

Thanks guys for this information.  I'm going to try them all.  I have some small diameter stainless steel wire I'll try making rings with.   I'll order the photo etched parts, and metal rings later today.

Thanks again

• 1 month later...

Replicas and Miniatures Company of Maryland used to sell a wide selection of photoetched rings. They were called Wizard-Os.  But I think their supplier went out of business and they don't carry those anymore.

7 hours ago, peteski said:

Replicas and Miniatures Company of Maryland used to sell a wide selection of photoetched rings. They were called Wizard-Os.  But I think their supplier went out of business and they don't carry those anymore.

Scale Motorsports now has those "Wizard of O's".

• 6 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:08 AM, Foxer said:

I needed gauge rings for a TR4A I am building and for the small ones I found some metal transfers that were easy to apply and look good.  This is a current ebay listing for them. I used the 3rd largest rings.

The large gauge rings are PE. The Dash gauges, wood, ash tray, glove cmpt. outline and two small lights between the Spedo and tach are a color print I composited using a scan of a wood sample and photos. The rings give it a believable depth.

image.png.47303e1e78ae6b5792d5f6e9dfc9565e.png

nice radio, too