Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '69 Boss 302 Mustang

I took some pics of the kit, with detail pics of the new front fascia and grille, both of which appear to be very well done. After a test fit against the body shell, I see no problem areas, no inappropriate contours, no excessive gaps, etc. There appears to be a sliver of extra material around the perimeter of the body shell where it meets the front fascia, so getting a near-prefect fit between the two should not take very much work at all:

http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/956/revell-4313-1969-boss-mustang?page=1&scrollTo=981

The grille's perimeter trim piece forms a small flange, allowing the grille to sit in the fascia at the correct depth. The two parts are a near perfect fit, so after painting both, they should fit together with barely any adhesive needed.. It's clear there was a lot of attention given to the fit between the body shell, fascia, and grille, and it shows. The hood also fits very well and aligns correctly with all its neighboring parts, so leaving a small allowance for paint thickness should be the only necessary precaution.

IMG_20181225_114951.jpg

Edited by Casey

7 hours ago, Casey said:

I took some pics of the kit, with detail pics of the new front fascia and grille, both of which appear to be very well done. After a test fit against the body shell, I see no problem areas, no inappropriate contours, no excessive gaps, etc. There appears to be a sliver of extra material around the perimeter of the body shell where it meets the front fascia, so getting a near-prefect fit between the two should not take very much work at all:

http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/956/revell-4313-1969-boss-mustang?page=1&scrollTo=981

The grille's perimeter trim piece forms a small flange, allowing the grille to sit in the fascia at the correct depth. The two parts are a near perfect fit, so after painting both, they should fit together with barely any adhesive needed.. It's clear there was a lot of attention given to the fit between the body shell, fascia, and grille, and it shows. The hood also fits very well and aligns correctly with all its neighboring parts, so leaving a small allowance for paint thickness should be the only necessary precaution.

IMG_20181225_114951.jpg

Shape looks okay, but goshdarnit, it looks like they molded it upside down! :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

I'm now thinking seriously of stealing the decals, wing, backlight slats, and interior from this kit and using them to Snake-Fu this very nice diecast (after I remove all the tampo graphic junk, of course). The kit will then donate its improved (but still not perfect) nose pieces to a Revell Mach I kit. Hmmmmmm....:huh:

69MustangDC03.jpg.45a0cf2e624f4844ffa47cb6dce02d2a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, gui_tarzan said:

Does anyone make the correct gold stripes for the Mach I for this kit?

csk401.jpg

Revell had a kit awhile back for a 69 Mach 1.  There's got to be someone out there that has the decals from it.  I was thinking about getting another Boss kit so I could convert it into a Mach 1.  The parts for it are in the kit.

1 hour ago, gui_tarzan said:

Does anyone make the correct gold stripes for the Mach I for this kit?

csk401.jpg

There is a seller on Ebay,The Last Detail Inc out of Australia,who may still sell that sheet,i bought mine years ago when they were still in the U.S.IMG_E0605.thumb.JPG.46145ccdba4f319c1c25ee56f6cd43ad.JPG

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

You may have seen these from Keith Marks...........

69Mach1MustangBlack_Gold-vi.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't see gold decals listed----just 1:1 cars showing the stripes. If you click on the pic, it'll take you to his Fotki Page.

EDIT: His link is here.

Keith might print them in gold. He has printed his decals in custom color combos for me before.

Yup, that's the Silver Jade all right! Just looks so right on that car. (For years I called that color "Grande Green" because I seemed to see a LOT of Mustang Grandes in that color with black vinyl top, another good-looking combination.) 

45 minutes ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

About to finish mine last night and the hood is to wide to fit.  Gonna have to trim it or find a way to sand it down.  Was a good kit up till that point.  Now I'm a little frustrated and angry.

Did you test fit the hood before you painted it??

Not one drop of paint goes on anything I build till I'm sure that it'll go together without any drama. I was burnt by an ill fitting model many years ago by painting too far in advance and learned to never do that with the exception of very rare instances (Jaguar D-Type).

Eric, I want to add that when I did the review of this kit in my thread, the hood in relation to the fenders has very tight shut lines. When you painted it that made the tolerance all the more tighter. I like to use what I call the 3x5 card method when it comes to opening panels. If a 3x5 card will slip in and out of the shut line without binding, that should be enough clearance when it comes time for paint. Here's a pic below where this was much needed on the Turbine Car I built years ago.................

P2041066-vi.jpg

10 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Did you test fit the hood before you painted it??

Not one drop of paint goes on anything I build till I'm sure that it'll go together without any drama. I was burnt by an ill fitting model many years ago by painting too far in advance and learned to never do that with the exception of very rare instances (Jaguar D-Type).

It was definitely the hood.  Just a little too wide.  Worked on it and got it to fit a bit better.

Thanks for the tip on the hood. The front end also widens out at the body line on the front fenders, so I sanded them straight. They could use a little more sanding (pic is after sanding) but I don't want to lose the body line altogether. I appreciate the fact that they raised the angle of the eyebrow, but it's still not quite right. The grille opening is a lot better though. I also didn't realize until I got the kit that it didn't have the Mach I scoops on the rear quarters so I stole them from an old built-up and fit them in since I'm building a replica of the '69 Mach I we had when I was a kid. 

20190216_190731.jpg

20190216_204502.jpg

Edited by gui_tarzan

1 minute ago, gui_tarzan said:

I also didn't realize until I got the kit that it didn't have the Mach I scoops on the rear quarters so I stole them from an old built-up and fit them in since I'm building a replica of the '69 Mach I we had when I was a kid. 

20190216_190731.jpg

I'm planning to build a Mach I and am just going to use the new nose pieces on the old kit. The rest of the kit will get parted out. (The decals will go on a 1/25 diecast I have [as will the wheels/tires, if I can fit them on], the chassis will probably find its way under an earlier Mustang kit, and I'm sure I can find something creative to do with the engine.)

On ‎2019‎-‎02‎-‎16 at 6:43 PM, gui_tarzan said:

The front end also widens out at the body line on the front fenders, so I sanded them straight. They could use a little more sanding (pic is after sanding) but I don't want to lose the body line altogether. I appreciate the fact that they raised the angle of the eyebrow, but it's still not quite right.                                           

20190216_204502.jpg

That looks a lot better :P  It helps diminish that goofish 'keystone' look...

69mstgrllrvell.jpg

as seen from the front and as the front fender line seems to actually dip at the front corner, a little finessing and build-up would improve the optics as well.

P1019948.JPG

Edited by mk11