Model Cars Magazine Forum

GS Corvette #003

James2

• 2 weeks later...

After some tense moments with PE pieces the body is just about ready for primer. From what I can tell the holes on the right side fender (Jacks?) are not needed for the AJ Foyt car. But the small door on the left front fender is.

2v2JqVZfzxAghwd.jpg2v2JqVZ1UxAghwd.jpg

Looking good!

I may have missed it: Are you building the '64 Sebring AJ Foyt car?  That's the one I'll start soon.

The holes in the front fender are for air jacks and oil, at least in Bill Tower's  car #5.

5b705e24a502b_GS5.jpg.b56c59d9fe00c47c215293b13db0d7f5.jpg

Thanks,

22 minutes ago, ismaelg said:

For those interested, this is a cool video recap of the race. Go to minute 6:19 to see AJ Foyt in action.  Penske's Grand Sport is really flying at 1:22.  Fun video overall.

This is awsome, to see  Penske chase down and pass the Ferrari is something!

12 hours ago, ismaelg said:

It sure is!

Have you decided on a color to replicate Foyt's car?  I'm researching that.  Admiral blue seems like a good starting point but my research is far from over.

I will most likely seek some help from "Model Car World" paint. They are owned by Wings Wheels and Waves now and are not that far from me.

I've built 3 - the first two from AM as kitted - a white one, a blue/white one, and the Delmo Johnson version from the VRM decals.  I also have the 1/43 Universal Hobbies Wintersteen roadster, the Testores #4 1/43 (made by Universal Hobbies), several of the Monogram s1/32 slots - including my conversion of a body to the Wintersteen roadster and 2 Carrera 1/24 slot cars.   And the book.  I am quite fascinated by the GS history.   Seems like I saw a detail kit to correct some problems with the kit, as well.   Historic Miniatures maybe?  Can't remember.   And the tires are pretty horribly shaped in the ones I have.   But I think there are better ones out there.  

Keep on it!  Beautiful cars when complete.  I hate that AM shut down before they released the Roadster.  

And there is a site out there - https://www.racingicons.com/gs/gs002.htm that covers restoration of one of these.  Escellent detail photos.

Miner little set back, I had forgotten the scoops on top of the quarter panels. I believe these were for brake cooling.

I did contour then to fit the shape of the fender better and then wet sanding. I'll be priming and sanding one more time after this.

2v2JFEPRrxAghwd.jpg

• James2 changed the title to 64 GS Corvette (Priming/Sanding)
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm kinda excited to get paint on some pieces for this one. Gloss Black lacquer base, Alclad aluminum, Alclad steel and non-buffing metalizer. 

The chassis is Gloss Black Model Master, no clear! And then I used Steel and semi-gloss black on the various components.

I also added some black wash to highlight the details. I need to find a good picture of the fuel cell before painting it. And I started cleaning parts for assembly.  I'll get some close ups after things progress a little more.

I haven't touched the frame since painting last weekend, I really don't want any fingerprints on it!!!  Hopefully I'll be able to prep the chassis this weekend...

2v2J5Zs95xAghwd.jpg

• James2 changed the title to 64 GS Corvette (Paint Begins)

Very cool and rainy here in Ohio today, but makes for some bench time. Assembly and detailing going on.

Not really happy with the kit tires but I think some more sanding will make them acceptable. Still need to plumb and wire a few things but I'm liking it so far. I sprayed the inner part of the wheels with magnesium Alcald and the the rest is various shades of black and aluminium.  

2v2J5GGNNxAghwd.jpg2v2J5GnodxAghwd.jpg2v2J5Gn35xAghwd.jpg2v2J5GnvNxAghwd.jpg

• James2 changed the title to GS Corvette #003