Model Cars Magazine Forum

Iwata needles

Hi everyone,

I was cleaning my airbrushes today and mixed up my airbrush needles. I mixed up IWATA 6171 (HP-CS) and 7171 (HP-CR)

Both are 0.5 mm needles. Both appear to have the same tip size and tapers. I can't tell the difference. Are they the same....? Iwata does have different codes for them though.

I'm really stuck figuring this out

Michael

Can't help you on this particular problem. I know that the 0.35 needle and the 0.5 needle for the HP-CS are both the same diameter and only the tip grind is different on the needles (so the packing nut does not need to be changed when changing needles). Best to contact Iwata or do a test using each needle in both airbrushes to see if they work. I doubt you would damage them by carefully switching them.

If you don't have any precision measuring equipment, use a piece of modeling clay. Stick the tip on one of the needles into the clay and carefully (so as not to distort the hole) withdraw it. Now insert the other needle in the same hole...if it's a sloppy fit, the first needle was the 0.5 needle; if you have to force the needle, the first needle was the 0.35. Repeat this test several times just to make sure.

It might help to place the clay in the 'fridge for an hour or so before performing this test.

1 hour ago, BigTallDad said:

If you don't have any precision measuring equipment, use a piece of modeling clay. Stick the tip on one of the needles into the clay and carefully (so as not to distort the hole) withdraw it. Now insert the other needle in the same hole...if it's a sloppy fit, the first needle was the 0.5 needle; if you have to force the needle, the first needle was the 0.35. Repeat this test several times just to make sure.

It might help to place the clay in the 'fridge for an hour or so before performing this test.

Both of his needles are 0.5 mm. He just needs to know if there is a different taper on the ends. You could lay the needle down sideways on the clay and carefully push it into the clay with the flat side of a ruler. Then CAREFULLY extricate the needle and compare the other one to the impression, but this still does not tell you which needle belongs with which airbrush. Whatever you do, DON'T bend it!

Edited by NOBLNG

On 5/7/2018 at 2:58 AM, NOBLNG said:

Both of his needles are 0.5 mm. He just needs to know if there is a different taper on the ends. You could lay the needle down sideways on the clay and carefully push it into the clay with the flat side of a ruler. Then CAREFULLY extricate the needle and compare the other one to the impression, but this still does not tell you which needle belongs with which airbrush. Whatever you do, DON'T bend it!

You said it perfectly. I couldn't believe it when they rolled next to each other. I mean both are 0.5mm and look completely identical tapers under magnification! Yet iwata still have different part number for them. So annoyed lol. I/ They should have scored the back end of the neddles different to avoid confusion. Then again I don't see this being a problem if you are more careful than I am.

1 hour ago, Mixalz said:

They should have scored the back end of the neddles different to avoid confusion.

Did you sort it out? Maybe contact Iwata and ask them if they are interchangeable? Other than that, you could try both needles in each airbrush and see if any combination causes problems...process of elimination!

10 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Did you sort it out? Maybe contact Iwata and ask them if they are interchangeable? Other than that, you could try both needles in each airbrush and see if any combination causes problems...process of elimination!

one day ill do it, so busy right now

One is probably for Revolution which is .5mm standard. I have both the Eclipse and the.5 setup and the Revolution I never compared them but I will have to check them out now. I like having both the Eclipse .35 and the Revolution with.5, no need to change setups. The Revolution is pretty much my workhorse.

I'm speculating here (I own Badger airbrushes) but I think that those are probably identical needles.   Since needles have a taper from a point to their full diameter, they can fit few different diameter nozzles (as long as the diameter of the nozzle opening is not larger than the largest diameter of the needle).