Model Cars Magazine Forum

Side by side by side Dragster builds...Kemp-Teresi-Sobak

8 hours ago, ClayK said:

Oh, I have written a lot more. I stared with SA in the fall of 2004. And worked all way up until 2016 I'd say. On a fairly consistent pace. I did lots of reviews for them as well.

I get my Omni at the local parts store. Car Quest or Speedway Auto Parts here in Indiana.

Well I have more to look forward to then... just finished reading all your articles that I bought from those two collections and it was good stuff.  Can't wait to get more.  I'll have to check out my parts stores here and see if I can find Omni. Thanks Clay!

6 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Well I have more to look forward to then... just finished reading all your articles that I bought from those two collections and it was good stuff.  Can't wait to get more.  I'll have to check out my parts stores here and see if I can find Omni. Thanks Clay!

Hey Chris... if you have a PPG auto body store near you, I would try there first.. That's where I get mine. I used to use PPG's concept 2020 and concept 2001 and switched a few years back to PPG's Omni Plus clear. It was a little cheaper and the only difference between the higher end 2020 clear is that it protect against the UV's better and considering our models never really see sunlight except when taking pics outside.  

2 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Thanks Chris... I'll see if we do have one here.  Off the top of my head I don't know of one but I'll look it up.

You are welcome, If you don't have a PPG store you could always check with any auto body supply store that may carry PPG products. 

27 minutes ago, Mooneyzs said:

You are welcome, If you don't have a PPG store you could always check with any auto body supply store that may carry PPG products. 

That's good to know.. that'll be my next stop if I can't find it at the other places.

On 6/26/2018 at 11:48 AM, Mooneyzs said:

Hey Chris... if you have a PPG auto body store near you, I would try there first.. That's where I get mine. I used to use PPG's concept 2020 and concept 2001 and switched a few years back to PPG's Omni Plus clear. It was a little cheaper and the only difference between the higher end 2020 clear is that it protect against the UV's better and considering our models never really see sunlight except when taking pics outside.  

Hey Chris.. finally got around to looking for a PPG and we have one a few miles down the street.  So I need to ask for the Omni Plus Clear.. anything else?  About how much do you think it will cost?

On 7/2/2018 at 9:46 AM, jchrisf said:

Hey Chris.. finally got around to looking for a PPG and we have one a few miles down the street.  So I need to ask for the Omni Plus Clear.. anything else?  About how much do you think it will cost?

That's great news you have one close by. I gave my PPG shop a call yesterday to check on the price for PPG's Omni Plus Clear MC161. They said a kit (quart of clear and 2 1/2 pints of hardener was 89 bucks. But I asked what the quart if clear and only 1 1/2 pint of hardener would cost it was around 59 bucks.  The 1/2 pint if hardener is 29 bucks and the quart I'd clear is around 30 bucks.  Since we dint ne3d much for our models I just got thr quart if clear and one can of hardner. Also I store my hardner in my refrigerator because it helps it last longer.  When I go to stay it I take it out and let it come to room temp before using. This clear is mixed 2:1  (2 parts clear to 1 part hardner) and if you want you can reduce it a little more if you wish and you can use PPG's DT870 and DT860 urethane reducer. I personally would start with just the 2:1 and see how you like it. Thinning a little extra will help only down a tad smoother.

Hello All........I got some work done on my Garlits Build........I got the chassis painted "Osh" brand semi gloss black and added all the controls painted Gold Alclad.......I painted the seat Alclad Chrome.......I used "ProTech" Detailing wire and nut and bolt ends.......I also painted the fuel tank Chrome Alclad and added Archer weld decals and weathered up a bit.......I got the engine done except for the headers.......The block was painted Tamiya Red and I used "Pro Tech" Braided Line, rubber fuel line,wire looms, detailing wire, and nut and bolt ends.......I painted the wheels Alclad and weathered lightly .....I used slixx decals on the tires and weathered with "Folk Art" Acrylic paint........I will attach the front end ,wing and headers tomorrow .......thanks for looking

DSCF1037_zpsq4ec7riv.jpg

DSCF1034_zps4dumkujj.jpg

DSCF1042_zpsdal8qltq.jpg

DSCF1041_zpswqy5gg3r.jpg

DSCF1043_zpscu36iekd.jpg

Well Hot Dang John.... Holy Smokes you are crushing this build. Man that Engine looks so good with all of that detail. And the Weathering is just 2nd to none. You sure have down. And I just love the tires. What a Killer Update on your dragster.

Hello.......Brad,Chris ,Wayne.......thanks guys for checking in and the comments ......I really do appreciate them:).......well,I got some more work done on the Garlits build.......I painted the front end Alclad and added "Meng" nut and bolt ends.......and attached the Herb Deeks wheels......I also made an open parachute and weathered it ........I attached the mirrors and painted them Alclad.......I also attached  the front wing and painted it Alclad and weathered it lightly.......I modified the headers and weathered and attached them......I`m ready to paint the figure and body 1/2......thanks for looking

DSCF1060_zpszpz6ts5l.jpg

DSCF1062_zps3flfdkaq.jpg

DSCF1063_zps0tjkpg3u.jpg

DSCF1066_zpsajxi5ybw.jpg

DSCF1067_zps1tkip8s3.jpg