Model Cars Magazine Forum

Side by side by side Dragster builds...Kemp-Teresi-Sobak

Hey guys, a but of a different thread/project this time. I got an idea the other day since a few of us were in between projects or having trouble finding something to work on. I asked Chris and John if they were interested in building the same kit along side of me, all in the same thread. Not as a competition or anything like that. Just all there of us working on the same thing, and the same time to bounce ideas off of each other and keep each other motivated.

So what we have come up with, is all three of us are building one of the recent Round2 re-release rear engine dragster kits.

I am building the Don Prudhomme "Yellow Feather" Dragster

Chris is building the Tom McEwen Hot Wheels Dragster

And John is building the "Big Daddy" Don Garlits Dragster

So far all three of us have got our kits and have slowly gotten started. Chris and I have been trying to figure out what parts we want to add, and how to address the front wheels. John is getting busy with the NNL this weekend, so I'm not sure he has started yet. Besides we need a head start on him!

Basically these will be moderately detailed. Just enough to add some extra spice to the old kits. No real scratch building, machining parts or anything like that. Just some wiring, plumbing, and maybe some photo etch here and there. All three will be posted in this thread and we will all just post as we make progress. Hopefully it will be fun for us, and fun for the others to follow along.

One of us should have something to show soon!

Clay

I'm curious to watch. I have a Garlits kit I need to finish (along with fifty others) and sorta stumble to a stop when I look at the decals. I really wish someone made an accurate set. Unfortunately, Dr. Daryl made some but sadly he has passed and no one has picked his decals. His build was one of the best I've seen.

Clay... This is going to be a super fun build for all of us to do. I was totally on board when you pitched this to me and I look forward to all of us build these guys. Its going to just be fun for the motivation factor as I know I have been having issues lately with being motivated. I still haven't been able to get back to the bench with the rest of the funny car that I need to finish up. Hopefully in the midst of this fun dragster build it will give me the push to finish the funny car and put that one behind me...lol

Alright Fellas... Here is the start of my dragster. As Clay mentioned it is the MPC release of Mongoose's Hot Wheels Dragster. Clay and I talked about needing to address the front wheels of this kit. Well Clay was able to find some sweet Centerline's for the fronts because they look way better than the kits spoke wheels. So while I was searching for pics of Goose's I ran across a pic of one where he used the Centerline rims on it. I also think Clay found me a pic that was similar to the one I had found. The more I looked at the pic the more that dragster grew on me. So my plan is to build Mongoose's 1973 Carefree dragster. Since Chuck Boerner had the decals I figured that is what I want to build. 

Here is the car, There is just something about this car that I really liked the look of and thought would be fun to build:

2v2JP4kVqxAhe9C.jpg

Here is the kit parts:

2v2JP4P4yxAhe9C.jpg

And the start of the build, I got the outside of the body sanded, all the mold lines removed and got some primer on it. I now need to sand the mold lines off the chassis. I also got the engine block and rear end glued together:

2v2JP4PSWxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Great to see you back at the bench Chris!  My Hawaiian build has stalled due to work and a death in the family, but I will have to post a picture of some items I have collected to get back on track. Looking forward to this build. 

Later,

Lee

I can't imagine anyone that won't be following this thread.  3 of the best builders in the hobby doing something fun like this.  WOW!   Love the wheels Chris and the clean-up on the car looks great already. 

Cheers to you guys for thinking it up and collaborating.  Tim

Thanks everyone for showing interest in this fun build we are doing together.

Clay... yesterday there are two pairs of glasses and what you dont wee is there is also a Optivisor I use along with them...haha

Tim... thanks but I gotta give you credit to your altered. Holy smoke are these 1/25th scale studd small since all I have been working on is 1/16 lately. I dont know how you do it and gotta give you major credit with your extent of detail on it.

Lee.. I am really sorry to hear about the death in your family. My condolences to you and your family.

Ron... I did noticed  the crager decal. I was just referring to them as centerlines because of them being solid is all.  I know there was Crager super tricks back then too. I just didnt know which year either came out. All I know is these solid front rims look way better than the kits spokes.

Interesting, I'm going to follow this.
I read on H.A.M.B. that the Cragar Super Trick bolt together racing wheel was introduced in 1970 and became popular 1971-72, and the Centerline Auto Drag riveted together wheel came some years later in the mid 70's.

2 hours ago, gasser59 said:

Me too Mike. Maybe we could crash their party or start one of our own.

I think everyone who likes Top Fuel Dragsters should head over to HL with their 40% off coupon and grab one (or both) of these for $18 plus tax

I'm getting ready to leave for HL with my 40% coupon to pick one of these up today.  I may go again tomorrow and get the other one just to build along with the pros here as they are only $19 after tax with that coupon).  I was checking them out yesterday when I picked up the Soapy Sales Funny Car and they are identical kits it looks like... just with different decals (The Snake and The Mongoose that is).   Think I will get The Mongoose today.

Glad you guys are following along!

I finally got some time to take some pictures of my early progress. I went through my aftermarket parts bin and picked a few things I think will  help improve these old kits. I will probably add some more such as some Pro Tech pulleys, and braided line. But this is a start. Like Chris I am replacing the front wheels with a set of JDS slot car tires. As well as replacing the square kit rear slicks with a set of Futurattraction soft rubber tires. I ran these on my lathe with a file to sand the tread surface down.

P1014989z-vi.jpg

P1014988z-vi.jpg

I got all the mold lines cleaned up on the chassis and got it painted in base coat black. I may shoot one coat of clear over this. I haven't decided yet. I also cleaned up the body panels and shot them in primer.

P1014985z-vi.jpg

P1014986z-vi.jpg

I have also slowly started on the engine. Just cleaning up parts, and painting a few things. I did a little washing and a few oil streaks on the pan. I know they wouldn't dare have an oil leak like that on the pan, but I couldn't help myself. :) I just wanted to give it a little more character.

P1014992z-vi.jpg

P1014990z-vi.jpg

I think that's it for now. Next I want to get the slicks decaled, the engine further along, and maybe get the yellow on the body.

Thanks for looking!

CK

Clay.....WOW!!!!!.......you and Chris are really getting some progress done on your builds.......I need to join the party ......looks great so far guys.......I hope somebody can Photo Shop all 3 of are builds side by side by side together after we are done ......that would be a cool picture:)