Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lawn mower in a kit?

Technically speaking, no riding mower is included in either of the Indy kits. As stated on the box, it's merely a tractor, and you'd need to come up with your own mower deck and vertical shaft drive and belts for it.

A member here did just that: 

Pics of the Lotus Indy Turbne kit's Wheel Horse tractor parts can be viewed here: http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/845/mpc-lotus-stp-indy-turbine

Edited by Casey

So my dad has only had two Wheel Horse tractors since 1968.  His latest one is a 312-8 that I believe was built in 1985.  Mowed with it yesterday.   Very similar to yours JC.  I have a newer 315-8 Classic that was built in 2005 that is very like new.  It only has like 250 hours on it.  My dad's had to be one of the last before TORO bought Wheel Horse  as it was still built in South Bend Indiana.  I think my newer one was built in Minnesota.  

I love this little stuff the kits came with....slowly adding to my collection of them...too slowly.  They make great diorama items too....dirt bikes..rider mower...go carts...mini bikes..scale figures...shop equipment...gas station related items...tools...campers...etc.....I have a soft spot of these things myself.

On 5/21/2018 at 12:34 PM, drodg said:

BTW his 1967 Wheel Horse he bought in 1968 was a 12 horse very similar to the one in the Indy Car kit.  

Would love to see a photo if you have one.

On 5/23/2018 at 12:57 PM, drodg said:

Was there ever decals for the tractor in any of the issues of the kit?

I have a bag kit of the square bodied Lotus that is missing the tires and chrome. I do have the decal sheet and there is nothing for the tractor, unless it had a decal sheet of it's own.