Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Chevrolet Impala

I happened to dig out this "extremely stalled" project today that I'm guessing was started probably 5 or 6 years ago.

I had forgotten just how far along it was & now I'm thinking I should probably finish it up.

I think I may have put it away because I was less than happy with the color combo, but now, looking back on it, it's really not all that bad.

I think that the colors are supposedly "Fawn Beige" & "Suntan Copper", but I believed at the time that the beige was a little too "yellow".

I was doing a copper and cream interior combo so the kit decals were useless to me.

The upholstery pattern is not correct, but I used some Scale Motorsports decals instead.

The body is completely painted & polished with about half of the foiling complete & the interior is all painted & ready for detailing.

The engine & chassis have not been started but this one is a long way towards completion.

I think I will try to maintain interest & see if I can get it finished.

Steve

2v2JPPfpjxwUbWP.jpg2v2JPPfB2xwUbWP.jpg

I want to do another 60 myself. The first one I did was a Roman Red Convertible, using bits from a derelict 59. I got my hands on a set of original AMT 60 Chevy wheelcovers for the project. This one will be Black, with the Black/White houndstooth interior. My uncle had a black 60 Impala 4 Door Sedan. His car had whitewalls and dog dish caps, that I thought was rather ugly. At least no one stole his hubcaps.

Your Beige body color seems very close to the Beige that Chevrolet was using at that time. The Fawn Beige was a very light Gold Metallic shade that became very popular in 1961 and beyond. The color combination you have used was not real common at that time and usually the ones I remember had the Copper as the primary color. I have seen it both ways and think this is a little more interesting looking. Your chrome trim and the interior look very nice.

3 hours ago, espo said:

Your Beige body color seems very close to the Beige that Chevrolet was using at that time. The Fawn Beige was a very light Gold Metallic shade that became very popular in 1961 and beyond. The color combination you have used was not real common at that time and usually the ones I remember had the Copper as the primary color. I have seen it both ways and think this is a little more interesting looking. Your chrome trim and the interior look very nice.

Actually, this tan is not a metallic color, so it's not Fawn Beige.

I went to my paint box and discovered that the colors that I used were MCW 1958 Plymouth colors called "Buckskin Beige" & "Copper Glow".

Steve

The beige color you picked for the body, while a MoPar color, is very close to what GM used in 1960. The Fawn Beige color was different and the only reason I mentioned it was what seemed like your thinking that it was that color. The Copper color is almost a perfect match for what GM was using at that time. Sorry for the confusion. Either way I think this is going to look great and I'm looking forward to watching your build.    

4 hours ago, espo said:

The beige color you picked for the body, while a MoPar color, is very close to what GM used in 1960. The Fawn Beige color was different and the only reason I mentioned it was what seemed like your thinking that it was that color. The Copper color is almost a perfect match for what GM was using at that time. Sorry for the confusion. Either way I think this is going to look great and I'm looking forward to watching your build.    

After doing a little research David, here's what I've come up with.

The "Fawn Beige" in 1960 is not listed on the chip lists as a "Poly", or "metallic" paint.

The paint code for Fawn Beige in 1960 is "938", the same as "Almond Beige" in 1961 which also appears to be a non-metallic color.

They don't appear to be an an exact match between the two years as the '60 color is listed as "938 A", and actually the '61 "Almond Beige" color appears to be closer to the "Buckskin Beige" that I used.

The "Fawn Beige Poly" in 1961 has at that point apparently become a metallic color & the paint code is now "920".

I may have gotten lucky and selected a closer color to a correct '60 Chevy color than I had originally thought and Fawn Beige would be the correct name to use for it in 1960. :)

The main discrepancy was that the "Suntan Copper" in 1960 was not listed as a "Two Tone" option on the chip sheet.

Steve

2v2JPjpECxwUbWP.jpg2v2JPjpagxwUbWP.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:55 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

After doing a little research David, here's what I've come up with.

The "Fawn Beige" in 1960 is not listed on the chip lists as a "Poly", or "metallic" paint.

The paint code for Fawn Beige in 1960 is "938", the same as "Almond Beige" in 1961 which also appears to be a non-metallic color.

They don't appear to be an an exact match between the two years as the '60 color is listed as "938 A", and actually the '61 "Almond Beige" color appears to be closer to the "Buckskin Beige" that I used.

The "Fawn Beige Poly" in 1961 has at that point apparently become a metallic color & the paint code is now "920".

I may have gotten lucky and selected a closer color to a correct '60 Chevy color than I had originally thought and Fawn Beige would be the correct name to use for it in 1960. :)

The main discrepancy was that the "Suntan Copper" in 1960 was not listed as a "Two Tone" option on the chip sheet.

Steve

2v2JPjpECxwUbWP.jpg2v2JPjpagxwUbWP.jpg

I think I better understand the color names now. The reason the Fawn Beige comes to my mind as a Lt. Metallic color was that in '61 my step mother was grinding my father very very hard for a new Chevrolet in that color. I haven't cared much for either every since. I do remember seeing a few '60's that were mostly the Bel Air models in the Beige color with the Copper interior and I always thought it was a great color combination.   I didn't mean to side track your build over a question of color. I think your build looks like something Chevrolet could or should have marketed at that time.

• 8 months later...
7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

No Gene.

It took a back seat again to other “more important” projects. -_-

Steve

LOL, I understand, the '60 is one of my favorites and I love where you're going with it. plus your work just amazes me. Would you please PM me, I have a question? Thanks.:)

Edited by Geno