Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Torino in yellow

Ben269

I started on this Torino.  I have had it for a year or two, and couldn't decide on a color.   Its a cool kit because it comes with four different stripe colors.  I saw a yellow one with the yellow and brown stripe, and thought that was a winner. 

I bought an airbrush and have used it twice now.  I had some issues on this, however.  If you look close at the photos, you can see that the paint seemed to run away from the edges.  Any Idea why that happened?   I used Testors enamel thinned with mineral spirits.  Any tips are appreciated.  Not sure if I am going to sand it and respray, or strip it all the way down and start over.

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

More than likely it was the yellow enamel that was used. If I paint anything yellow I always go with basecoat with thin coats allowing 15 minutes between coats. Testors Yellow is thin paint I always thought. Model masters yellow PY3 covers pretty well. Model masters probably has that Ford color too. Looks like more of a pastel yellow to me than the Testors yellow. Modelmasters does alot of factory colors. If you sand it smooth you may be able to get more paint on depending on how thick it is already. 

Strip it and start over. 

Block-sand around all your door etc. lines with #600 or #800 paper. This will remove the slight ridge that is contributing to this. 

Now prime with a good flat white. Some like the expensive Tamiya, I like the cheap Walmart Flat White.

You seem to be airbrushing. Good. Turn your brush down and go around all the problem lines with a coat or two. Let this dry, then inspect. I'll bet the color comes all the way up to the line this time. 

NOW you can open up the airbrush and spray the whole body. 

The thing about this "doorline halo" effect is, once it starts, MORE paint won't help it, it just makes it worse. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ben269 said:

Thanks for the tips.  I will strip it down and start over.  I think the gray primer I used was too dark, so this will address both these issues.

Absolutely always use white primer under yellow. Yellow hides poorly the pigments to make yellows are not strong.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Stripped all the paint off, primed in white, and even tinted the primer with a little yellow.  Not sure if that helped or not, but it looks great.  I painted it using Testors bright yellow.   I couldn't wait, and applied the stripes.  I like the way it looks so far.

IMG_3316.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_3442.JPG

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Ended up wearing through the paint in a few spots, and decided to put it back in the box.  It sat for a while, but now its back.  Repainted it, and cleared it, polished it smooth.  looks good again, and I want to wrap it up soon.  Its a bit lighter in person than it looks in these photos, maybe I'll take some outside when it warms up.  IMG_3005.thumb.jpeg.df2c711ed72590e74da5c5d1df883fc3.jpeg IMG_3006.thumb.jpeg.6a65dc0c8889d786b9e1450743ff7dbc.jpeg

• Like 2