Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salted Fusion

restoman

A bit of a slump buster...

If The Captain - Roger Penske - were to take one of his Nascar racers to the salt flats, I'm thinking it might look a bit like this.

I lowered the front end a bit, shortened the rear spoiler height (no need for big downforce in a straight line), fitted a driver's side window, and eliminated most of the Nascar-specific stickers.

Oh yeah... and crafted those nifty spun aluminum discs out of some Pepsi cans. :) 

This is only a snap-together curbside kit, but it was dead-nuts easy to do and got me over a bit of a hump, so here it is.

Comments always welcome. :)

may 6 4.jpg

may 6 1.jpg

may 6 2.jpg

may 6 3.jpg

may 6 5.jpg

I like this!

It makes me start thinking of all the changes I would do, like: replace the big NASCAR fuel cell with a drag fuel cell; replace the front tires with FrontRunner drag tires; ...

But then...All that would take it out of the realm of the quick build and into full detail. I understand why those changes weren't done. I get it.

Quickie, but inspiring. And I live quite near El Mirage, where the SCTA Bonneville racers play all season except August when they go to Bonneville itself.

10 hours ago, DustyMojave said:

I like this!

It makes me start thinking of all the changes I would do, like: replace the big NASCAR fuel cell with a drag fuel cell; replace the front tires with FrontRunner drag tires; ...

But then...All that would take it out of the realm of the quick build and into full detail. I understand why those changes weren't done. I get it.

Quickie, but inspiring. And I live quite near El Mirage, where the SCTA Bonneville racers play all season except August when they go to Bonneville itself.

Yep.

I played with the idea of much narrower tires, and decided that, for this particular build, it would be too much work to offset the rims so the tires weren't buried back inside the wheel openings. So I went instead with some tire decals and spun discs and called it good enough. The whole concept was "...if Roger Penske took one of his Nascar racers to the salt flats...", so most of the Nascar stuff stayed. Probably not what would REALLY happen, but it is a model... ;)

After a little research on flats racers, I think I'll be building more. Fascinating to see all the variations that did and do race out there.