Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 29 Rolls Royce Ascot Phaeton

Eric Macleod

Several years ago my dad and I drove this car through the Downtown Kalamazoo Christmas Parade before we graduated to a Duesenberg. I may have posted this before but thought you would enjoy it. I have always intended to do a diorama of the scene but never have gotten that far. The Rolls is a model that received quite a lot of work, most of which nobody would ever notice. That included changes in the fenders and some extra work on the dual ignition engine. Because of the likeness of my late father being included (front passenger) this model has become one of my favorites.

rolls.1.jpg

rolls engine.jpg

dad me rolls.jpg

6 hours ago, LDO said:

Let's see the Duesenberg.

Oh yeah- nice work on the Rolls. I love those pre-war coachbuilt classics.

I would love to show you the Duesenberg but that model is not only not done but not yet started. 

The Rolls is part of the Gilmore Car Museum collection. I have been a volunteer there for over 20 years having graduated to a level of trust where I can take out "the big guns" such as the '30 Packard,  the '34 Lincoln 12 and I have been entrusted with the Duesenberg,  even for an overnight. 

8 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

I would love to show you the Duesenberg but that model is not only not done but not yet started. 

The Rolls is part of the Gilmore Car Museum collection. I have been a volunteer there for over 20 years having graduated to a level of trust where I can take out "the big guns" such as the '30 Packard,  the '34 Lincoln 12 and I have been entrusted with the Duesenberg,  even for an overnight. 

Ahhh, I was wondering how you got to have driven such exotica. Lucky man to have a volunteer job like that.

2 hours ago, LDO said:

Yeah I was thinking you owned the Rolls and Duesenberg. 

I do have some very, very nice stuff in the garage (including a Full Classic Franklin) but alas, no Duesenberg. When I re-read my original post I thought I should have made that more clear.