Model Cars Magazine Forum

1953 Hudson Farm Truck

I've built a few Hudson pickup conversions before, but I wanted to go for more of a crude, "backyard- built" kind of vibe with this one. The trunk and rear roof section were cut away, and I laid a diamond-pattern tread plate right over the existing floor. Some framework was built above the opening, and at the back, a plank of wood is shoved between this framework and the body to serve as the tailgate. The truck has been abandoned for a number of  years, so the bed has been filled with random junk, and at some point the old farmer borrowed the gas cap and battery and forgot to replace them. He also forgot to close the hood, because I've always wanted to put the hinges and prop rods included in the kit to use. The engine is a Ford 240, which may have ended up being the second-generation Hudson Hornet Six, as the Ford Big Six was designed under the eye of Bernie Siegfried, who had also engineered the 7x Twin H engine for Hudson. When he left Hudson, he took  his OHV straight six designs with him and many of those features became part of the Ford 240/300. A few other Ford doodads made it onto the car- the wheels are from a Moebius F-100, and the tires are from a Revell Bronco. I stole the plow of a long-stalled '77 Jeep project for use here. The mirrors came from a Revell Jeep J-10. 

100_0298.thumb.JPG.dc84e36b3ad6c948cbdc59d3a124714f.JPG100_0299.thumb.JPG.f9459eecaf139fad77a4c9bae82e2025.JPG100_0300.thumb.JPG.20f084dd28fa7c327d21d928c0e5ee43.JPG100_0301.thumb.JPG.7aad537be9ffcacbcd644ebc08f24841.JPG

• 1 month later...