Model Cars Magazine Forum

'36 Ford Stock Roof 3-window - Back to Basics - Final Update 05-27

Bernard Kron

It’s been a while since I’ve done a truly classic traditional hot rod project. Most recently I’ve been completing a ’57 ‘Vette tha’s from the late 50’s period and includes a custom paint scheme and a Bonnecille variant. But in the final analysis it’s a sporty car. The other week, though, Nico Lindström (Mr.409) and Eric Stone (EchoBravoSierra) posted some photos of some knockout stock roof ’36 Fords done in a classic mild custom style on the ’36 Ford inspiration thread over on the TRaK board (see: http://trakinscale.proboards.com/thread/12533/1936-ford?page=2). That got my juices flowing for sure. The result is a back-to-basics project, an AMT ’36 Ford with stock roof height, stock hood sides and trim, but severely lowered, with flipper ‘caps (via an AMT ’40 Ford Sedan Delivery) and Firestone Deluxe Champion Whitewalls (these last some really nice resin items courtesy of Scenes Unlimited – fully labeled even). The interior is based on the kit bucket but the seat was completely worked over, removing the seat surfaces and fabricating a classic tuck and roll out of styrene half round for the bolsters and styrene corrugated stock for the rolls. The interior sides also got the same treatment. The interior will be finished in white to complement the body undersides. The basic paint is Duplicolor Bright Red over white primer. I haven’t decided on the bumper treatment (stock bumpers, ’40 Ford  bumpers or nerf bars…???), but I opened up the holes for the kit Appleton spots so I’m committed to them. The headlights and taillights will be stock.

Here’s the work so far. The first pics show the interior fabrication work and then the basic color and stance.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Interior_Construction_Summary.jpg

DSCF6409_web.jpg

DSCF6414_web.jpg

DSCF6412_web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thank you, everyone. I'm glad you all are diggin' it.

I’ve always considered that the old model car kits from the earliest days function as a kind of time machine, an accurate representation of the point-of-view of the creators of these kits at the time they were made. This is particularly useful when these kits are contemporary with what they are representing. Monogram hot rod kits from the early 60’s particularly excel in capturing the flavor of the era, but AMT were no slouches either and issued several classic kits that have withstood the test of time for their ability to document the era it was created in. One of these is the AMT ’36 Ford Coupe kit, first released in 1961, and this project is all about trying to “go with the flow” and limit any changes I make to ones which will enhance what AMT has already given us, a straight-up late 50’s street rod.

This update is about that approach. Essentially there’s nothing major going on, just some basic kit assembly work, and finishing out the interior I started last time. Colors and details are what I focused on. The hopped-up Pontiac V8 motor, for example, is a classic late 50’s/early 60’s piece, with the showy chrome bits one saw at the kustom kar shows. So basically, with the exception of the air cleaners, which are the bottoms of the flathead air cleaner flipped upside down and finished in Molotow Chrome, everything is straight out of the box. The block is finished in gold, a common treatment for show cars of the period, and in keeping with the white undercarriage engine compartment finishes. The interior is down in Duplicolor Oxford White and Duplicolor Crème. I added red piping to introduce some contrast once the interior is put away inside the body. The steering wheel is an AMT ’40 Ford unit. Otherwise, again, out of the box.

Next up is foil work and then final assembly. All very basic…

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Interior_and_chassis_summary.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve decided to stick closely to a stock-body look, in keeping with the un-chopped top. I’m also appreciating what a fine job the AMT designers did with this 1961 vintage Trophy kit. I’m not building this car from any one kit, but from a box of leftover parts, and yet everything seems to fit together properly and the logic of the way the parts fit is spot on. Of course the 1936 Ford Coupe is also a tribute to E.T. "Bob" Gregorie, head of Ford body design, and close ally of Edsel Ford in the inside battle to modernize the company as it competed with GM, despite the resistance put up by Edsel’s father Henry. Gregorie was only in his mid-20s when he penned an unbroken line of classics throughout the Depression years concluding with what would be the 1949 Mercury before retiring at the age of 36 in 1946 after Edsel’s death. As I made my design decisions I decided to stick close to Gregorie’s masterpiece, only adding conservative 50’s style customizing touches, in this case the Appleton spots from the kit, and a padded spare tire cover adapted from a Monogram ’59 Chevy kit. It’s currently only in mockup form, but with the stock bumpers in their stock positions it was needed.

Below are two photos showing where I’m at for now. The rear view is mocked up with the tire held in place with masking tape and the bumper tacked in place. The stock hood sides and trim will all be retained.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

DSCF6422_web.jpg
DSCF6424_web.jpg

Very nice, I sometimes think we over think the process, and complicate our builds. We end up with several started but unfinished projects setting in boxes. The simplicity of the early AMT kits isn’t appreciated. You’ve captured the time period very well, great build. 

I sure like this. Very period. a budget rod that would have been in anyones driveway. Nice work.

1 hour ago, dragcarz said:

Very nice, I sometimes think we over think the process, and complicate our builds. We end up with several started but unfinished projects setting in boxes. 

I regards to our hobby, truer words have never been said. It's only been in the last five years that I've figured this out myself. Rather than 5 complicated builds on deck, each one with it's own miasma of difficulties, I have one. With three other simple builds around to keep things fresh. Consequently, I'm enjoying the hobby more and sleeping better. :D

19 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

I sure like this. Very period. a budget rod that would have been in anyones driveway. Nice work.

I regards to our hobby, truer words have never been said. It's only been in the last five years that I've figured this out myself. Rather than 5 complicated builds on deck, each one with it's own miasma of difficulties, I have one. With three other simple builds around to keep things fresh. Consequently, I'm enjoying the hobby more and sleeping better. :D

That couldn't have been said better. I've got three projects like that and I gave up on one of them. I find myself building less complex builds and concentrating on my skills more to pull off a good build rather than going into "overkill" mode. A lot happier and I honestly feel like I'm building better as a result of it.

Thanks everyone!

All finished up, now. Below is a summary photo of the final details. With the exception of the deleted rumble seat handle the bodywork details are all stock. I used the Lucas lenses in the headlights from the kit. I’ll post the final “beauty shots” Under Glass later today or tomorrow. Thanx to all who followed along.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Final_Details_Summary_Web.jpg