Model Cars Magazine Forum

2018 Cannonball Run - Chev Square Body

Stepping a little out of my comfort zone on this one, as I don't do much scratch building. 

This one is starting life as the early 90s Revell Hot Rod Chevy Street Pickup kit.

20180506_170254.jpg

As the theme for this year's Cannonball Build is "inline engines" that V8 had to go, so that's now in the parts box.

I had an old Tamiya BMW 635csi kit that has been half built since the mid-90s. Parts have gone missing, it's been neglected. Butit has a fantastic BMW M engine. A high horsepower, high revving inline-6 powerhouse that will be perfect for this one!

20180506_170311.jpg

Wait...are those snails? Nope. I ordered up a turbo through Shapeways. Will figure out some plumbing and make that fit there too. Also need to mock up a intercooler.

20180506_170303.jpg

Did some mocking up the other night.

20180506_173053.jpg20180506_173102.jpg20180506_170336.jpg

Here's a stack of some of the parts that may or may not be going on this one.

20180506_170341.jpg20180506_173105.jpg

First thing's first, that sunroof has to go. Filled it with styrene, then some Tamiya filler.

20180508_200934.jpg

The overall goal will have this one sitting low, and running a Euro-vibe. Sort of.

We'll see if my skills match my vision.

For the stance I want, I think I'm going to need to do some frame cutting. Might try scratch building one.

The plan is to also steal the susension from the BMW kit.

No one ever sees the chassis, so although I will finish it properly, I'm not overly concerned about lack of detail or accuracy. Still, it will be finished properly, and not just cobbled together.

:)

No new pics to report at this time. WIll hopefully get some bench time in this evening. 

Just for funsies, this was my original thought. A slightly newer Chev, with a big honking diesel!

20180508_201018.jpg

Discovered a problem early on though. I still want to make this happen though!

20180508_201030.jpg

Threw some primer on it. Looks like the roof is successfully filled in. Yes, I need to touchup, then sand, then clean up, but overall I'm happy with the roof. 

Time to start engineering the frame and making things fit.

I haven't done a lot of scratchbuilding before, if any. So this will be an interesting project.

20180522_192827.jpg

20180522_192830.jpg

20180522_192849.jpg

20180522_192900.jpg

Been picking away at it here and there. I've started the chassis and trying to dial in the ride height, and I've started mocking up the interior. Will be installing the interior from a newer model. The stock interior tub had a molding in bench seat and no detail. Can't have a bench seat. Nope. 

Anyway, here's a few pics, gives you an idea of what I've got cooking.

20180529_191654.jpg

20180529_193724.jpg

On 5/29/2018 at 7:32 PM, iamsuperdan said:

Been picking away at it here and there. I've started the chassis and trying to dial in the ride height, and I've started mocking up the interior. Will be installing the interior from a newer model. The stock interior tub had a molding in bench seat and no detail. Can't have a bench seat. Nope. 

Anyway, here's a few pics, gives you an idea of what I've got cooking.

20180529_191654.jpg

20180529_193724.jpg

Okay, fenders have been swapped and are on correctly now. :P

Did some work on the engine bay yesterday, had to do a little trimming to get the engine to sit properly. Mocking up engine mounts now. Once the engine sits where I want it, will figure out how to make the turbo and an intercooler work.

I think I preferred the look with the reversed fenders. Might remove them and put them back on the "wrong" way! lolz

Made some quick and dirty engine mounts. They'll never been seen once the engine and everything is in place. Engine sits in there perfectly, and when the body is on, everything lines up exactly how I wanted it.

Next steps will be getting the engine finished, including turbo plumbing and intercooler. It appears there are parts missing for this engine, so I'll be doing some improvising. Won;t be 100% accurate, but it'll look "right."

20180605_192354.jpg

20180605_194804.jpg

20180605_194808.jpg

20180605_194814.jpg

34 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I think I preferred the look with the reversed fenders. Might remove them and put them back on the "wrong" way! lolz

Made some quick and dirty engine mounts. They'll never been seen once the engine and everything is in place. Engine sits in there perfectly, and when the body is on, everything lines up exactly how I wanted it.

Next steps will be getting the engine finished, including turbo plumbing and intercooler. It appears there are parts missing for this engine, so I'll be doing some improvising. Won;t be 100% accurate, but it'll look "righ

Your fenders WERE right. that step goes in front.

1 hour ago, landman said:

Your fenders WERE right. that step goes in front.

That's what I thought! But actually, the instructions do say to put them on with the molded step in the back, and then there is an additional chromed piece to put in front. I think they look better with the small step in front, so I'll be flipping them back. 

39 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

That's what I thought! But actually, the instructions do say to put them on with the molded step in the back, and then there is an additional chromed piece to put in front. I think they look better with the small step in front, so I'll be flipping them back. 

Look up those trucks on the internet.

So I flipped the fenders back to the way I like them.

Test fit the engine, and I'm happy. Engine sits exactly how I wanted it. Plenty of clearance for the hood. 

Now to try adding the turbocharger and the intercooler. 

Interior is going to be a challenge for me.

20180610_150421.jpg

20180610_150427.jpg

20180610_150435.jpg

20180610_150451.jpg