Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 66 Chevy Panel (New Photos Added)

Started with the Revell 66 Suburban kit and decided I'd like a panel truck.  I bought a Jimmy Flintstone resin panel body but decided to just fill in the windows on the kit body.  Took longer than I thought but I like the results.  Photos are quick, I keep forgetting the LED lights have different tints so I'll probably drag out the big lights on some rainy day.  Paint is Testor's Aztec, White Pearl over Blue Pearl.  Again, the photos don't do it justice.  Basically OOB, I added a little lift to the rear, more typical of the time.  I never liked the way the kit stock Suburban sat, too low in the rear for my tastes.

Added a couple of new pics, better representation of the blue pearl.

167469427.jpg

167469430.jpg

167469432.jpg

167455621.jpg

167455626.jpg

Edited by Warren D
add photos and update

Growing up my Dad had one of these, but a 1 ton. It was a little rough and one year the old V6 froze, so he put a Corvette 327 in it (he worked at the Chevy Dealer). Then he cut the back off like a pick up truck and mounted our camper to it and it became like a motorhome with pass through. It stayed that way for several years till he got a new body, from a pick up.

However when he stripped it all down and put the pick up body on the panel frame, he found the frame was 6in longer than the pick up. So, he mounted the bed and cab 6in apart to make the wheelbase look right and mounted a set of Camero side pipes standing up to fill the gap. Everyone thought he did it that way custom. Cool old truck.

I love what you did to this panel, it looks great and brings back memories. The color is great and the built looks perfect. Very nicely done!

9 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Looks great, like the color choices and it does look better with the rear end lifted.

Do you have any WIP pictures of the work done to convert it into the panel sides?

Sorry, I didn't do any WIP pics.  In summary, I shaved the high spots off the kit windows and installed.  Filled with styrene blanks to bring up to level, then lots of filler for the gaps and seams.  Never got the look I wanted so I skimmed over the entire side with paper-thin styrene sheet and feathered at each end. 

10 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Growing up my Dad had one of these, but a 1 ton. It was a little rough and one year the old V6 froze, so he put a Corvette 327 in it (he worked at the Chevy Dealer). Then he cut the back off like a pick up truck and mounted our camper to it and it became like a motorhome with pass through. It stayed that way for several years till he got a new body, from a pick up.

However when he stripped it all down and put the pick up body on the panel frame, he found the frame was 6in longer than the pick up. So, he mounted the bed and cab 6in apart to make the wheelbase look right and mounted a set of Camero side pipes standing up to fill the gap. Everyone thought he did it that way custom. Cool old truck.

I love what you did to this panel, it looks great and brings back memories. The color is great and the built looks perfect. Very nicely done!

Thanks.  Funny how a model can stir up memories....

8 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Very nice job and I love that color too, I have a couple bottles of the pearl blue in my stock.

Thanks.  One thing I've noticed with the Aztec Pearls, you have to make long passes with the airbrush!

• 2 weeks later...

I like it! Great companion for the Suburban!B)

I drove one of those for a small company I worked for in High School delivering special order furniture cushions to Kreohler Furniture.

They bought it used for 150 dollars.

The shift tree was worn out and it would hang up between gears if you didn't handle it gently enough (and sometimes even if you did) which was embarrassing if it did it in traffic!:lol: