Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Yugo or Fiat 127 kit by chance?

37 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Zastava Models makes 1/24 diecasts of both.

If you don't mind a bit of scratchbuilding a Yugo, take a piece of aluminum foil and carefully shape it until you get this:

Image result for car crushed into a cube

:P:D 

Hi,

This is truly fantastic humor and very very funny!  Kinda has a hint of Borg.

Thanks Joe, well done!!!

16 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Zastava Models makes 1/24 diecasts of both.

If you don't mind a bit of scratchbuilding a Yugo, take a piece of aluminum foil and carefully shape it until you get this: 

As somebody else said...the U.S. Air Force did a great service for suffering humanity during the Yugoslav Wars of the 1990s:  it bombed the Zastava factory that built the Yugo. That was a dual-use factory, also making weapons.  I believe the plant has since been resurrected and come full circle, currently building Fiats.

The Fiat 12X and its uglier cousin, the Russian Lada, were extremely popular cars in Egypt when I lived there from 2005-09.  Especially as taxicabs.  The Ladas might be rusty and smoking, with parts literally falling off in transit.  But they were tough little buggers and harder to kill than a werewolf.  They were usually equipped with a giant, knee-killing cast-iron Russian-language taxi meter under the dashboard.  I could never understand why the drivers didn't rip those things out; none had worked since the Brezhnev Era.

You can see a bunch of the taxis in this photo, the yellow-and-black cars. And to the left, a taxi that wrecked itself on the median barrier.  This was shot from the balcony of my hotel in Alexandria.  The street is the Corniche, which runs right alongside the Mediterranean Sea, just out of sight to the left. 

PICT5240.JPG

Edited by Mike999
omit

Hi

No chance for a kit. But you can find 1:24 Die-casts of these things. A lot of funny trash to repaint and detail. From brands such as Burago or Polistil.

BTW, the Fiat 127 DOES exist, and is not that bad. Just add decent wheels, tricky details, and it will be respectable. Tadaaaa !

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "1:24 fiat"

My neighbor had a Yugo. He had cosigned on a $100 a month lease for his daughter's boyfriend, and shortly thereafter wound up with the car.

So he used it as his commuter car.  He had nothing bad to say about it. He said it did what it was supposed to do. With a sane adult at the wheel, it started every day and never broke or cost him money.

At the end of the lease the leasing company sent him the option to buy the car. He declined.  The leasing company declined to pick it up and sent him the title.  He traded it in on something else. 

Hi,

I kind of think they got a bad rap.  It seemed every ones favorite car to pick on.

Of course being the cheapest car at the time meant for potentially stiff competition.  So it was in the best interest for car manufactures to slam it.

I mean a running car from a country who ppl knew/know little to nothing about and made by ppl with crazy looking hair who sorta looked like Weird Al Yankovic.

I visit family on occasion over there and still see em running.  Albeit with some work but still.

Edited by aurfalien

I remember a reviewer in 1988, writing in one of the car magazine, saying that the shifter worked "with all the smoothness of a baseball bat in barrel full of coconuts". It was such a memorable phrase, that I still recall it, some 30 years later.

27 minutes ago, alexis said:

I remember a reviewer in 1988, writing in one of the car magazine, saying that the shifter worked "with all the smoothness of a baseball bat in barrel full of coconuts". It was such a memorable phrase, that I still recall it, some 30 years later.

Hi,

Ah yes, this was done on purpose to be one with the gear box.  They took a Yoda approach.

I WISH there was a 1/25 or 1/24 scale plastic kit of a Yugo out there... I mean, honestly, it's a terrible car, and it was ridiculed all over former Yugoslavia just as it was in America (my family had a grand total of three back in the late 80's and early 90's), but as the video Brian posted demonstrates, they can be fun after undergoing some home-engineering... BTW, the video was shot in Croatia, during a popular hill-climb event in Buzet, Istria... Lots of private garage-built cars like that can be seen at the event, and they do go... The one above has a Fiat Bravo HGT engine...

This is a video from the same event, a few years before, and different Yugo car... This one with a 900 ccm Kawasaki motorcycle engine... Hence, Yugosaki :P

Edited by PowerPlant