Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished my first model

jchrisf

Well done Chris...... the first real build is the most satisfying, and you must be very pleased the result. Each and every build from here on will set you thinking about how you can put together a kit in a slightly different way. That's what makes this wonderful hobby such a joy. You will find lots of help and advice from folks on these forums, I certainly have.

David

Congrats on a great job!  I have that kit and started to build it several times, since I'm a geezer and remember Fireball Roberts. 

One thing always scares me off:  masking that sharp separation between the red and white paint, at the bottom of the back window.  You really nailed it.

Thanks everyone.. that means a lot coming from you all because I am always impressed with the builds I see here.

Just started painting my second model body and discovered that my airbrush (Neo for Iwata CN .35 needle) will not spray craft metallics.  Now I have to clean that body and start over.. very frustrating.  I'll have to stick with regular colors for now and maybe soon try to decant some Dupont auto colors or get some enamel reducer and try some Model Masters.   It's all a learning game :P

Fabulous, flat out, regardless of novice experience.

Since you are quickly growing in this hobby I recommend Bare Metal Foil for the bright work. If you can cut a paint line as well as you do, then you'll do fine with it and will really bring life to your models. This racer might be an exception, as your silver sheen fits this car just right. If I'm wrong about the trim being painted then go ahead and clonk me with a dead cat. B)

Edited by Lunajammer

On 5/14/2018 at 4:36 PM, Lunajammer said:

Fabulous, flat out, regardless of novice experience.

Since you are quickly growing in this hobby I recommend Bare Metal Foil for the bright work. If you can cut a paint line as well as you do, then you'll do fine with it and will really bring life to your models. This racer might be an exception, as your silver sheen fits this car just right. If I'm wrong about the trim being painted then go ahead and clonk me with a dead cat. B)

Hey thanks to you Lunajammer and everyone else who has commented.  I did use BMF on the bottom of the windshield trim.  But I was having trouble making it stick on the top because the trim edge was so much smaller than on the bottom so I used a Molotow chrome pen on the rest of the trim.  You can see where they come together on the side pic right where the front door panel line comes up to the windshield.

I just finished my second model.  This was a snap-tite kit that I got cheap at Michaels with a coupon.  It looked like a toy but Tom at the Scalemodeling Channel did this one and really made it look good.  I had lots of masking to do here but Tamiya's tape makes it very easy.  I'm still not perfect but look forward to the experience of getting better.

I discovered that I am not going to use Craft Acrylics on the body any more as I just cannot get a good, smooth, glossy finish.  Honestly on this one I didn't want to much gloss because of the flat black trim but the surface is too rough and can't be polished with the varnish I use to protect the fragile craft acrylics.  If I could find a clear coat that would go over it without damaging it that would be great too I suppose because I love the easy cleanup and no stink of acrylics.

I couldn't get the light just right so the color is actually darker and nicer than it appears here.  I was really happy with the diamond cut of the wheels that I learned from Tom when he did his.  This truck had stickers which didn't look as good as decals but I added a few anyway:IMG_0160.thumb.JPG.eecf6bf8d16846f003d1f9125a6d4774.JPG5b0294b34804d_IMG_0161(2).thumb.JPG.e75afd5afed0b0c7bef49c80db9c222d.JPGIMG_0163.thumb.JPG.2677a9fd65c398c2c1f55598e20045a0.JPGIMG_0164.thumb.JPG.74d7b5eb98c26000ffb0e18ff7c81148.JPG

12 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

That's a mighty fine job for your first model. I'm almost done with my first build in about 22 years and I hope it turns out close to as nice as this.

Thank you... I don't know what I am doing yet I just read a lot here and other places and watch a lot of YouTube vids on it and try to copy what seems to work.  I'll be glad when I know a little more and get settled on a good painting method.  I don't think I am going to use anymore Craft Paints as they are too fragile and unpredictable.  Looking forward to seeing yours.