How Old Are You?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. How Old Are You?

• 20 years old or younger
    • 20 - 30 years old
    • 30 - 40 years old
    • 40 - 50 years old
    • 50 years old or older

Will turn 59 in August. I only feel 89 physically. Mentally I am still around 17. Unfortunately those two really cause issues.

Been building as long as I can remember. My dad was a kid (17) when I was born. He was always building car models and I guess I was "helping" him from the time I could sit up on my own.

Russ

I belong to the Old Farts Club, apparently the super majority on this forum.  :rolleyes:  I'm going to be 57 next month.  Was born in Page, AZ when the Glen Canyon Dam was about a third of the way up, and it's close to the end of it's useful lifespan; Will states I want my ashes dumped into the lake, if there still is one.  Been building off and on since maybe 10.

45 minutes ago, thatz4u said:

another USAF Vet.....

Also a USAF vet (21 years, 2 months, 18 days - but who's counting?).  Got my first kit for Christmas 1959, it was an AMT 40 Ford Coupe.  Good LORD willing I will turn 69 next month. Took a hiatus about the middle of my USAF career and sold every kit I had, lots of early 60's annuals :(; have kicked myself in the  - well you can figure that part out. 

I might grow old but I refuse to grow up!

Running for the "World's Oldest Teenager" title

47 but stuck in 16-18 range......  Just ask my wife and kids (17 and 16).   "Dad, you can go with me but please behave."  "Dad, there is a reason for speed limits."  "Dad, do you really need to go that fast?"    "Don't you have enough models and Hot Wheels?"  "HEY! That cake is for everybody!"  and one of my favorites while playing hard rock loud: "Turn that down!"  etc. etc.  :) 

Thanks,

Edited by ismaelg

OK....So I'm 63....I don't care! Here are some of my families favorite nicknames for me. "Grumpa" (a derivative of "Grumpy"), "Old A**", "Old Fart", "Old Man",....you do see the common thread here....don't you? But here is my favorite "Peter Pan".....this one from my loving wife of almost 40 years. I have three Granddaughters, and I have built two snap kits with the oldest. I doubt that she will pick-up the hobby, but it was fun! I got started at around five or six, and have built model trains, boats, airplanes, doll houses, and my really true love....cars!

So is this hobby graying out? More than likely. I have a closet full of models for my retirement (HA! I think that Cale needs to become my best friend...or at least attend the "yard sale" after I'm gone). Last week my son and I attended "Hot Nights, Cool Cars" up in Pilot Mountain, NC. I don't own a cool car. Unless you consider a Buick Enclave cool. Although I do make believe that it's something out of the pages of "Ol Skool Rodz" (just an unabashed shout-out to a pretty cool mag.). Anyway. On the way home I swung by "King Hobbies" in King NC. to pickup a few things. Only to get to the front door and read, "STORE CLOSED - we want to thank all of our loyal customers for supporting us all these years - The Management". So in memory of "Queen"..."Another one bights the dust...hey, hey". I guess that the only hobby shop left for me now is the internet. Whoopie!

So there you have it. There is no "Instant gratification" in building a model. It takes time to do, and lord knows you have to be able to deal with frustration...Oh...and "Bare Metal Foil"...let's not forget that. 

So to all of us who can relate to the aforementioned "nick-names"....model on! 

turning 51 soon and have spent over 44 years passionately enjoying the hobby along with many others, but honestly starting to burn out on it, all the reissues bore me to tears, kinda like been there done that so maybe I'll start giving aircraft, big rigs or trains a try