199 members have voted

1. 1. How Old Are You?

• 20 years old or younger
    • 20 - 30 years old
    • 30 - 40 years old
    • 40 - 50 years old
    • 50 years old or older

2 hours ago, ismaelg said:

I might grow old but I refuse to grow up!

Running for the "World's Oldest Teenager" title

47 but stuck in 16-18 range......  Just ask my wife and kids (17 and 16).   "Dad, you can go with me but please behave."  "Dad, there is a reason for speed limits."  "Dad, do you really need to go that fast?"    "Don't you have enough models and Hot Wheels?"  "HEY! That cake is for everybody!"  and one of my favorites while playing hard rock loud: "Turn that down!"  etc. etc.  :) 

Thanks,

This sounds so familiar! Lolz

I would say it it pretty risky to draw any inferences about the hobby from this survey.  First because we don't have a large enough sample size yet, though it is starting to shape up.  Second because I think the early and middle age categories are full of people who may have been like me.  I built during my early years when was a kid then stopped for a spell when life intervened and I had other things like fixing up the house and other chores on the weekends, and other family stuff.  I then got back into it when my son got old enough to be interested, but only very part time.  I then came back at a more intense level once family did not require so much attention.  I'm not surprised by the number of "old guys" on this forum because we have the time, income and interest to participate at a higher level than the occasional builder with active families. What I see in my local clubs is older members passing away but being replaced by new older guys getting back into the hobby after years away.  

1 hour ago, Pete J. said:

I would say it it pretty risky to draw any inferences about the hobby from this survey.

It really just shows most people who participate in this forum are over 50.

FWIW there are far more people in their teens or 20s in the Facebook model groups I am a member of.  I have been trading parts with guys who are still in school.

Almost 50,but you wouldn't know it if you saw my work bench,and collection of models,and diecast.I made up my mind awhile ago,that yea I maybe getting older,chronologically,but that doesn't mean I have to be a grown up.:lol:

I'm so young (66) that I remember watching TV programs in black on white and with only 3 channels plus aluminum  foil on the rabbit ears antenna and no remote. Testor bottle  paint could be purchased for one mercury dime and models for $1.00

Edited by GMCMAN52

66 and much younger at heart than my body.  Lots of unfinished projects but the fun is in the build up until time to paint.  I don't care if most never get finished...?

Edited by geewhiz

As the OP was kind enough to overlap the age groups, I chose the younger option while I can.

19 minutes ago, fumi said:

It really just shows most people who participate in this forum are over 50.

FWIW there are far more people in their teens or 20s in the Facebook model groups I am a member of.  I have been trading parts with guys who are still in school.

There used to be a fairly decent size contingent of early 20s modelers here. I think some get intimidated when they see the stashes and tools some of the older guys have to play with. Facebook probably took some away, and likely has kept many of the new modelers from even looking (forums are so 00s ;) ) and a lot that we had probably hit that magical age where other things drag them away from hobbies and they drifted away. I suspect the frequent "get off my lawn" spiels don't help to attract or keep younger modelers.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:53 PM, GMCMAN52 said:

I'm so young (66) that I remember watching TV programs in black on white and with only 3 channels plus aluminum  foil on the rabbit ears antenna and no remote. Testor bottle  paint could be purchased for one mercury dime and models for $1.00

You think he's kidding. Well, I am old (69) enough to still have some in my stash!  

old stuff.JPG

Edited by magicmustang

31 minutes ago, GMCMAN52 said:

I see you are in SD.  I grew up in western Nebraska and remember B&W TV well, but we had an antenna on the roof with a rotary system instead of rabbit ears.  You changed channels and had to realign the antenna to get the best reception.  We had 3 channels also =(Cheyenne, Scottsbluff and Sterling) and Cheyenne didn't come in during the day in the summer.  Didn't get TV period until Christmas of 1957(I was 8).  First color set was in the late 60's.  All my paints from that era dried up a long time ago and got tosses.  Just for reference, my allowance from my parents at that time was 10 cents a week.  Took a while to save enough for a model. 

Your right Pete, good time back then, I was also able to go to the movies for one whole dollar you got to see two movies , cartoons at the break and still have money for popcorn which was 15 cents a box. one for each movie. spent all week picking up pop/soda bottle that were laying around for the 02 Cent deposit that the bigger kids throw away. Free money to support my interest. Now that I've been retired for 6 years I just go to the ATM and withdraw my wife's money

Edited by GMCMAN52
spelling

1 hour ago, GMCMAN52 said:

Your right Pete, good time back then, I was also able to go to the movies for one whole dollar you got to see two movies , cartoons at the break and still have money for popcorn which was 15 cents a box. one for each movie. spent all week picking up pop/soda bottle that were laying around for the 02 Cent deposit that the bigger kids throw away. Free money to support my interest. Now that I've been retired for 6 years I just go to the ATM and withdraw my wife's money

Yeah, I remember picking up ditched soda bottles at the park for the 2 cents deposit... Every once in awhile I'd find a LARGE bottle and those had a 5 cent deposit, which was like a home run...!!!  When the movie The Ten Commandments came out, we HAD to go see it per instructions from our Catholic School.  Everyone freaked out because admission price was 50 cents, when movies usually only cost 25 cents at the time...... It was a 4 hour movie so I guess they had to charge more.

6 hours ago, GMCMAN52 said:

My father was US military attached to NATO so we lived in Izmir Turkey from 1966-68.  There was no TV at all.  It hadn't been installed there yet. We had no phone. Coca-cola was one of the few American brands sold there.  Refrigeration was rare so we learned to drink Coke warm.  When we got back to the states and they served us kids Coke cold it hurt our teeth and tasted funny! 

Then we moved to Germany from 1969-72.  There was one English channel provided by the US military. Broadcast in black and white.  It played years old US shows which was fine with us because we never saw them.  To see anything current we had to watch German TV.  We kids thought the Brady Bunch and Partridge Family spoke German... although the Partridge Family sang in English.  When we got back to the states they all spoke English but had different voices than we were used to.

5 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Good ole AFN. Watching it made one appreciate WOR-TV Channel 9's lineup.

Yup.  American Forces Network, brought to us via cable from Kaiserslautern   aka K-town.  I actually went on a school field trip to the radio station and got to broadcast an announcement.

Cable, huh? When I was stationed in Illesheim, they used a low power transmitter to beam it on post. It was done the same way in the entire VII Corps AOR. The signal was so intententionally weak, you couldn't pick it up outside the main gate using an NTSC standard TV. Didn't matter anyway. We were in a perpetual state of drunk during off-duty hours and could barely see the gasthaus floor before our faces hit it.