How Old Are You?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. How Old Are You?

• 20 years old or younger
    • 20 - 30 years old
    • 30 - 40 years old
    • 40 - 50 years old
    • 50 years old or older

I took my kid to a hipster-centric barber shop in the neighborhood about six years ago. He took a seat in the chair and I was explaining to the "stylista" how to trim his hair. I happened to look at the wall next to the mirror. Nailed to the wall was a 78 rpm copy of "A Thousand Stars" b/w "Hey Chiquita" by a group called the Rivileers on Baton Records No. 200. I asked the barber where he got the record. He said he bought it at the Salvation Army Thrift Store around the corner for two bucks and thought it would look, like yah, riiiiiiillllly kewl hanging up by his work area. This was was an original 1953 release in very good + plus condition and would have been worth over $600 except for one thing. This toilet plunger shaped dope nailed it to the wall, ignoring the spindle hole, putting the friggin' nail through the platter itself. I would have scammed the guy out of the record and offered him ten bucks for it if not for the fact it was now worthless.

8 minutes ago, 426 pack said:

Wow 0.66% I’m the only one under 20 that checks the General section or at least that’s what I hope. Are there really no other people under 20 here???????

You're an anomaly - go back to Facebook!

Just kidding - it is good to see you here on this forum.  I hope that you keep hanging around. :D

54 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

I thought hipsters were into vinyl records now?

My 38 year old son just bought his first vinyl record. He's like a one eyed cat peeping in a seafood store when he looks at my album collection. So's his older brother.

9 minutes ago, peteski said:

You're an anomaly - go back to Facebook!

Just kidding - it is good to see you here on this forum.  I hope that you keep hanging around. :D

To be honest I check MCM probably 7-10 times per day and I check Facebook probably 3-5 times a day. 

If I can keep building model I will stay here as long as I can.

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

How did he put a nail through a 78 without it shattering?

He drilled a hole through the record to accommodate the 12 penny nail. I asked him why he didn't use a finishing nail and just hang the record on it using the spindle hole. "Huh?"

On 5/12/2018 at 5:12 PM, Ramfins59 said:

Yeah, I remember picking up ditched soda bottles at the park for the 2 cents deposit... Every once in awhile I'd find a LARGE bottle and those had a 5 cent deposit, which was like a home run...!!!  When the movie The Ten Commandments came out, we HAD to go see it per instructions from our Catholic School.  Everyone freaked out because admission price was 50 cents, when movies usually only cost 25 cents at the time...... It was a 4 hour movie so I guess they had to charge more.

I will be 52 this fall, if I make it.  

Picking up bottles was a good way to ride to one of the stores around my house and get candy bars, gum  and Pop ( we didn't call it soda back then). Well growing up 1 mile north of the MI OH line was a problem sometimes. We didn't know as 11 and 12 year old kids the difference between the 2 different bottles so you would ride to the store and grab as many bottles as you could in the mile plus long ride  to cash these baby's in. On a good day you could get 2 or 3 bucks between all the kids but what do you do with all the OH bottles. We were not allowed to ride into OH from our house, so in the garbage can in front of the store. Once the 10 cent deposit hit (Dec 78)the ditches were clean of MI returnables only the Art Magazines and garbage could be found. 

6 hours ago, ChrisR said:

This hobby is in trouble, we need young blood!

The hobby, in general, isn't. Stagnation in the car modeling arena doesn't extend to other areas of the hobby. All of the new companies, along with established manufacturers, churning out new releases in armor and aircraft, belie your statement.

5 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

The hobby, in general, isn't. Stagnation in the car modeling arena doesn't extend to other areas of the hobby. All of the new companies, along with established manufacturers, churning out new releases in armor and aircraft, belie your statement.

There is no shortage in car model kits coming out---the Japanese kit companies are going strong w/ new releases.  It's just not subject matter than appeals to the older demographic. 

Not to be cynical, but does it really matter? The oldest group listed  (50+) will have enough models to keep them busy for as long as they are alive or able. Same with the 40 to 50 crowd ( the group I am in). After that, what difference will it make? We will be dead or unable to build anyway. Our collections will be sold or junked. Bottom line is the world is changing, it always has. This is just part of it. Enjoy model building for yourself, and share it with those who have a similar interest. The rest will be what it will be. Just my 2 cents, that isn't worth a dime, lol!     -Larry

4 hours ago, larman said:

Not to be cynical, but does it really matter? The oldest group listed  (50+) will have enough models to keep them busy for as long as they are alive or able. Same with the 40 to 50 crowd ( the group I am in). After that, what difference will it make? We will be dead or unable to build anyway. Our collections will be sold or junked. Bottom line is the world is changing, it always has. This is just part of it. Enjoy model building for yourself, and share it with those who have a similar interest. The rest will be what it will be. Just my 2 cents, that isn't worth a dime, lol!     -Larry

I hate to admit it, but I was just thinking the same thing and I am in the upper end at 68.  I would love to see the kids take this up and I would do anything needed to help them out, but frankly from my position, getting youngsters into the hobby is up to their parents and grandparents like our parents did.  Not much I can do to get a young person going in the hobby.  I can encourage those I see on the juniors table and treat the ones that come to the meetings with respect and encourage them, but in the grand scheme of the hobby, it's up to parents, not us old persons.

Some of you guys' age I'm a little surprised at........ I knew the majority of you were older, but some of you act or seem (on the forum, anyway), to be Younger than you say!

Maybe there's a sorta "fountain of youth" for the mind in these boxes of plastic...............  :)

32 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Some of you guys' age I'm a little surprised at........ I knew the majority of you were older, but some of you act or seem (on the forum, anyway), to be Younger than you say!

Maybe there's a sorta "fountain of youth" for the mind in these boxes of plastic...............  :)

Nope, paint fumes dude, paint fumes!:wacko:

9 hours ago, rel14 said:

Well,  what I see, is when are generation dies off,,, there will be no more modeling,    young kids want nothing to do with it,,  video games are all there interested in,

It goes deeper that that.  Most teens and tweens nowadays don't even want to get a driver's license and own a (1:1) car.  They rather have their parents drive them,  take Uber, or in the future, have a self-drivign car take them to their destination (while they are checking their Facebook feed on their schmart-phone). Driving is not considered something one strives for - it is a chore.  And driving (especially in large metropolitan areas) is no fun anymore. Traffic jams everywhere, and lots of distracted drivers to watch out for. Common courtesy is out of the window.   Why then would those young people want to build models of vehicles if they don't have any desire to won them or any nostalgic memoris of them?